This dish is so simple to prepare. It tastes clean and summery. It works well as a side or add some protein and serve it as a main dish. Any grilled piece of protein (fish, chicken, tofu…..your choice), can be laid on top, or sliced up and tossed in. I enjoy this orzo accompanied with heaps of grilled or steamed veggies and a lean protein choice.
If you are in a time crunch with no time to grill, you can serve it with a small salad and a store bought rotisserie chicken. You can also serve it up over a bed of baby spinach tossed with some lemon juice and olive oil. Orzo is nice because it absorbs flavors so easily. It is pasta, but it seems a bit like a rice because of its shape.
This is perfect for Project Lunch Box… served up with sliced chicken sausage, broccoli, and spinach.
- 12 ounce package organic Whole Wheat Orzo pasta
- 1 large handful fresh Basil, sliced small
- 8 ounce jar of Roasted Sweet Red Bell Pepper Strips, drained and chopped
- 2 cups cubed Zucchini
- 6 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled (other cheese suggestions: cubed cheddar, gorgonzola, crumbled blue cheese, smoked gouda, goat cheese)
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil (Trader Joes makes a great one)
- Juice from one Lemon or 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil water and cook Orzo half way. Add Cubed Zucchini to pot and complete cooking of pasta. Drain all, rinse with cool water Put in bowl, gently toss with olive oil, lemon juice, red bell pepper strips and sliced basil and cheese Can be served warm or cool.