Homemade applesauce is blissful. It is way better than the jarred versions we buy at the store. It does not take long to make and you will be very pleased with the results. You can make a big batch that last a good long time in the fridge. Talk about a grab and go healthy treat for yourself or the kids. Pack it up in small Tupperware cups for the lunch boxes. Add any fruit you like for extra flavor. Here I combine the flavors of Fall and the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday with cranberries, pear and of course loads of juicy ripe apples.
Health benefits. Even more reasons to make your own applesauce. Not only can you control your ingredients, it is super fresh and the fresher something is the more flavor and nutrients it is bound to have. In this recipe I left the skin on all the fruit so you get even more benefits. The skin has oh so many good for you attributes. From antioxidants, to fiber and flavonoids this applesauce has it all and bunches of it. There are loads of attractive reasons to eat your sauce! (Not to mention the red color is really pretty!)
If you want to learn more about the health benefits of these fruits, here are some helpful links:
Cranberry Pear Applesauce
- As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor & spice up your Cranberry Pear Applesauce. My ingredient lists are wide open for interpretation.
- Make a Big Batch & store in your fridge or freezer in a tightly sealed container.
- To Sweeten: This applesauce can use some extra sweetness to balance the tartness of the cranberries. I used stevia powder to sweeten mine. I like the flavor of stevia and it rates 0 % glycemic index. Sweeten to taste. The overall sweetness of your apples will be a factor in how much additional sweetener you want. You can also use honey, pure maple syrup or sucanat.
- 2 Pears: cleaned, cut into chunks, leave the skin on. I like D’anjou pears, use your favorite variety
- 3 large Apples: cleaned, cut into chunks, leave the skin on. I used 2 Honey Crisp and 1 Granny Smith
- 1 cup Cranberries
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 Cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons Orange Extract or 1 tablespoon freshly grated Orange Zest
- Sweeten to taste with Stevia, pure Maple Syrup, Honey or Sucanat
Rinse and clean all fruit. In a medium pot combine all ingredients excluding orange zest and sweetener. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer applesauce for about a 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally. Take pot off stove and carefully discard the cinnamon stick if you used one, let cool a bit. With ladle add applesauce to blender or food processor. Puree until smooth or chunky depending on your preference. Add your some sweetener and orange extract or zest to the mix.
Applesauce Recipe Links
- Cherry Earl Grey Applesauce Family Fresh Cooking
- Mango Applesauce Family Fresh Cooking
- Pumpkin Vanilla Applesauce Family Fresh Cooking
- Homemade Applesauce Fresh Tart
- Homemade Applesauce Recipe Simply Recipes