Spinach Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts

by Marla on January 30, 2010 · 15 comments

There is nothing like a simple salad for lunch or dinner. Add to it some toasted nuts, lean protein and you have a filling and fabulous meal. We love all kinds of nuts over here. In the fridge we have all different kinds and always a batch of roasted pine nuts ready to go.

If you don’t have pine nuts on hand feel free to use walnuts, pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, etc….

We recently had some friends over to our place for an aprés ski dinner. We served this salad with our favorite pasta. This was a quick meal to throw together and also makes for wonderful leftovers. Perfect for lunch box meals. Dress your salad as needed so the spinach does not get soggy.

Little ripe cherry tomatoes add a lot of color to a simple salad. We also love them in my Rustic Tomato and Cheese Margherita Tarts (which also happens to be gluten free.)

We always have all kinds of veggies ready to go. Baby spinach is versatile for quick sautés, salads, chili, pasta dishes and so much more…keep a bunch handy.

What is your favorite salad? Do you make your own dressing or use store bought?

Spinach Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts

• 1/4 - 1/2 cup Toasted Pine Nuts
  • splash of Balsamic Vinegar
  • splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • handful grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Season to taste with:
  • cracked Black Pepper
  • Sweet Smoked Paprika (or Hot if you are adventurous!)
  • Garlic Salt

• Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add pine nuts to hot skillet and toast them watching carefully (about 5 to 7 minutes) they burn easy. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Lower heat if needed. Let nuts cool.
  • In a large bowl toss baby spinach, tomatoes, parmesan, pine nuts, balsamic and olive oil. Season to taste with black pepper, smoked paprika and garlic salt.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Salad Recipe Links

1 Trail (of Oven Aversion) January 30, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Yum, sounds tasty and easy! Can’t beat that!

2 Maria January 31, 2010 at 6:57 am

I love the photo of you! I just wish you were skiing in Utah:) Next time! Great salad-the tomatoes really pop in there!

3 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 31, 2010 at 10:27 am

Yum spinach salad :) Spinach is my ultimate green for salads and this one is beautiful as always! That’s an amazing shot of you on the top of the mountain, it totally looks like it could be in a skiing magazine.

4 Kristen @ Change of Pace January 31, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I can’t wait to see the pasta recipe! The salad looks great. I love pine nuts on salads :)

5 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 31, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Hi Marla your salad looks great! I hope you’re had an awesome weekend, we did Skylar 3rd bday today and we are out the door for a really late but much needed chill walk. No pun intended, it’s brrr here right now!
Have a great evening w/ your fam :)
xoxo

6 Faith January 31, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I love how quick and refreshing this salad is, Marla! I’m usually a measurer too, so it’s nice to have a few go-tos like this to whip up in a snap. I would love to dollop some hummus on this salad and pair it with some multigrain crackers for a super quick and healthy lunch!

7 wizzythestick January 31, 2010 at 9:27 pm

This salad does look very bright and delicious and pine nuts do pair so well with spinach.

8 SweetFoodie February 1, 2010 at 4:34 am

I love big salads where all of the fresh ingredients can stand out on their own! Great photo – makes me hungry for lunch and it’s just breakfast time :)

9 sippitysup February 1, 2010 at 6:24 am

You do a very good job of making me feel like I was there “apres ski”. If I had been there your theory of a “big batch” for leftovers would have been merely a theory! GREG

10 Kristi Rimkus February 1, 2010 at 7:52 am

Beautiful salad. Terrific picture of you too!

11 cookiepie February 1, 2010 at 9:58 am

Oooooooh – that salad looks fantastic! LOVE the toasted pine nuts in there. Delish! And thanks so much for the kind words on my blog – you made my day!

12 Nicole, RD February 1, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Toasted pine nuts and balsamic vinegar belong on every salad, I’m convinced of it! :P

13 sweetlife February 1, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Great salad love the colors!! perfect for lunch!!

14 theUngourmet February 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I love those cute red and blue flowers everywhere! :D

Your salad is sensational! I am crazy for salad, especially if they include spinach and pine nuts!

15 Simply Life February 6, 2010 at 4:25 am

YUM! This salad looks delicious!