Roasted cauliflower and broccoli are so delicious and a great way to use them is in a hearty soup recipe. This soup is warming, comforting and of course healthy. You get a nice amount of good for you vegetable servings here. There is just a little bit of ghee in this soup and it adds oh so much flavor.
I love having a jar of ghee (clarified butter) on my counter top. It is joyful to have butter at room temperature that doesn’t go rancid after a few days. You can buy ghee at the store or make your own. Ghee is butter that has been boiled so the water is removed and the milk solids sink to the bottom. The milk solids are strained out, after caramelizing which imparts a wonderful nutty flavor distincitve to Ghee.
Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 head Cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch of Broccoli, roughly chopped
- a few splashes of Olive Oil
- Season to taste with: Smoked Paprika, Sea Salt , Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Onion, chopped
- a few Garlic Cloves roughly chopped
- 2 tbs Butter, Ghee or Olive Oil
- 3 cups low salt Vegetable Broth (adjust according to how thick you want your soup)
Roasted Vegetables: Pre heat oven to 400˚F. Place broccoli and cauliflower on a single layer on lined baking sheet. Spray lightly or toss with olive oil, smoked paprika, pepper and salt. Bake for 20 minutes, toss with tongs so mixture cooks evenly. Bake another 15-20 minutes for a total time of 35 to 40 minutes. Remove veggies from oven and set aside.
Caramelized Onions: Heat butter, ghee or olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions. Sauté until onions are browned and fragrant about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir and watch carefully so they do not burn. Add garlic, some smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Turn the heat down a bit, let the onions stick to the pan a smidge and then stir to scrape up any browned bits. These browned bits will add tons of flavor to your onions helping them to caramelize. Continue to do this for about a 1/2 hour. Remove from heat and set aside.
Soup: Add roasted vegetables, caramelized onions and broth to food processor or blender. Purée until desired consistency is reached. You might need to do a few batches depending on how large your blender is. Thin out or thicken soup with more or less broth according to preference. Season again to taste.
Serve warm with shaved parmesan a dollop of sour cream or Thick Greek Yogurt.
Roasted Vegetable Soup Recipe Links
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup with White Cheddar Cheese Perrys’ Plate
- Roasted Vegetable Soup My Culinary Quest
- Roasted Vegetable Soup with Polenta Croutons Tartelette
- Roasted White Vegetable Soup I’ll Have What She’s Having
- Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup In the Little Red House