Lately I have had a fierce addiction to blaring country music in my car. Have never been much a fan of it until now. Perhaps it was the Egg Farm tour I just got back from. Maybe my ties to Telluride are making themselves more pronounced. That high altitude haven is a mix of bling meets hippie, coffee drinking beatnik, athlete and cowboy. To partner with my love of all things Americana these days I have had big cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches.
Grilled cheese sandwiches don’t have to be heavy, fatty, super carby and guilt ridden. With the right whole food ingredients and portion control you can enjoy your grilled cheese and still feel like a million bucks!
This grilled cheese is great for mini-meals. You can make it into a full meal with chips, veggies, salad or soup. Remember, adding small amounts of fat, healthy whole grains and lean protein into each meal will keep you satisfied and help prevent you from grabbing the wrong foods.
Egg Battered Grilled Cheese
Makes one sandwich
- 2 slices of Sprouted Grain Bread (I like Ezekiel and Alvarado St. Bakery brands)
- a few ounces of your favorite cheese: American, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, etc…
- 1/2 cup Egg Whites
- a pinch of salt
- A dash of Spice: depends upon your mood. I like Pumpkin Pie Spice for a flavor twist. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, curry powder, chili powder, etc….your mood, your choice.
- Cooking Spray
Spray a small non stick skillet, heat over medium heat. Whisk egg whites, salt, spice. (Adding the spice to the raw eggs really cooks the flavor into this) Add cheese and any extras in between two slices of bread. Soak sandwich in egg white mixture. Cook both sides until toasted, crispy and cheese is melted and gooey.
- Want to add a bit more healthy fat? Toss in a yolk.
- Want a heartier meal & more lean protein? Add a few strips of nitrate free turkey bacon, sliced black forest ham. Lean pastrami or deli sliced smoked chicken or turkey are great too.
- Tomato: ruby red tomatoes go so great with grilled cheese, add in a few thin slices.
- Avocado: add some slices of this healthy fat choice. Sure to satisfy and keep cravings at bay.
- If you want to keep your EBGC extra skinny and lower carb you could use two slices of Alvarado St. Bakery’s Essential Flax Seed Bread.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Links
- Arepas with Monterery Jack, Plantains and Black Beans Project Foodie
- Grilled Cheese Bruschetta Family Fresh Cooking
- Grilled Halloumi Burger Modern Comfort Food
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Closet Cooking
- Toasted Panini with Ham Cheddar and Pepper Jelly Cookin’ Canuck