Egg Battered Grilled Cheese

by Marla on March 10, 2010 · 35 comments

Lately I have had a fierce addiction to blaring country music in my car. Have never been much a fan of it until now. Perhaps it was the Egg Farm tour I just got back from. Maybe my ties to Telluride are making themselves more pronounced. That high altitude haven is a mix of  bling meets hippie, coffee drinking beatnik, athlete and cowboy. To partner with my love of all things Americana these days I have had big cravings for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Grilled cheese sandwiches don’t have to be heavy, fatty, super carby and guilt ridden.  With the right whole food ingredients and portion control you can enjoy your grilled cheese and still feel like a million bucks!

As promised I am gonna give you guys some quickie recipes that use our farm friendly food, the egg.  I was a huge fan of eggs before my Farm to Table tour and even more of a fan now.

This grilled cheese is great for mini-meals.  You can make it into a full meal with chips, veggies, salad or soup.  Remember, adding small amounts of fat, healthy whole grains and lean protein into each meal will keep you satisfied and help prevent you from grabbing the wrong foods.

Egg Battered Grilled Cheese

Makes one sandwich

INGREDIENTS

• 2 slices of Sprouted Grain Bread (I like Ezekiel and Alvarado St. Bakery brands)
  • a few ounces of your favorite cheese: American, Cheddar, Mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, etc…
  • 1/2 cup Egg Whites
  • a pinch of salt
  • A dash of Spice: depends upon your mood. I like Pumpkin Pie Spice for a flavor twist.  Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, curry powder, chili powder, etc….your mood, your choice.
  • Cooking Spray

METHOD

Spray a small non stick skillet, heat over medium heat. Whisk egg whites, salt, spice. (Adding the spice to the raw eggs really cooks the flavor into this) Add cheese and any extras in between two slices of bread. Soak sandwich in egg white mixture. Cook both sides until toasted, crispy and cheese is melted and gooey.

Print This Recipe...

Variations

• Want to add a bit more healthy fat? Toss in a yolk.
  • Want a heartier meal & more lean protein? Add a few strips of nitrate free turkey bacon, sliced black forest ham.  Lean pastrami or deli sliced smoked chicken or turkey are great too.
  • Tomato: ruby red tomatoes go so great with grilled cheese, add in a few thin slices.
  • Avocado: add some slices of this healthy fat choice.  Sure to satisfy and keep cravings at bay.
  • If you want to keep your EBGC extra skinny and lower carb you could use two slices of Alvarado St. Bakery’s Essential Flax Seed Bread.

Grilled Cheese Recipe Links

1 Jess March 10, 2010 at 7:22 am

I LOVE Country music! I listen to a bit of everything but Country has been my music of choice for a long time now. I think the songs mean more to me – I like the messages : )

I love adding extras to my grilled cheese : ) Artechoke hearts & sundried tomatoes are a REALLY yummy addition!

2 Jessica @ How Sweet March 10, 2010 at 8:17 am

Grilled cheese is my GIANT weakness!

3 Fran March 10, 2010 at 8:26 am

I had to take off my slippers so I could curl my toes as I read this! :) It’s about time someone recognized that grilled cheese can be healthy! I love Ezekiel bread, and have made GC’s pairing it with goat milk Jack with chives from Mt. Stearling Creamery in WI. I’ve also slipped in apple and pear slices. YUM!

4 Cara March 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

French toast or grilled cheese? Thanks for making it so we don’t have to decide :)

5 FoodFitnessFreshair March 10, 2010 at 8:53 am

Love your intro. to this post…girl, you’ve got that down-to-earth writing style, mixed with health that I like. This reminds me of a recipe I just saw for “stuffed french toast”…Similar to this, except the cheese was ricotta.

6 A Canadian Foodie March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am

What a coincidence! Did you see my site? My students are prepping for the Slow Food Edmonton Grilled Cheese Olympics and have the final round to go on Friday. Take a peek!
XO
Valerie

7 Rosa March 10, 2010 at 9:45 am

That is a great idea! I’d definitely eat those sammies!

cheers,

8 Amy(Super Healthy Kids) March 10, 2010 at 9:59 am

Did I miss something? I tend to a lot, but do you dip the bread in the egg whites?

9 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 10, 2010 at 12:27 pm

You won the DKB giveaway Marla! Send me your address and I’ll forward it on to them.

Grilled cheese is so comforting. When Jacob and I were in Leavenworth we went to a cheese shop and brought back a few delicious cheeses. I can’t wait to make GC with the strong cheeses! The stronger the flavor, less you have to use.

10 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) March 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I’m having grilled cheese tonight! I love the ‘egg-battered’ idea – sounds fantastic.

11 Rose March 10, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Grilled cheese is ALWAYS good! That looks amazing!

12 Maria March 10, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Josh LOVES grilled cheese sandwiches. He makes them all of the time. I will have to show him this post:) It will be a nice change up:)

13 LilSis March 10, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I don’t know what it is about Country music, but I can go months without listening to it and then once I hear something on the radio that reminds me of the “Urban Cowboy” boot scootin’ days, I’m hooked again.

I love the grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in the egg whites and the fact that you used a healthy bread.

14 Blond Duck March 10, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I forsee a grilled cheese in my future…my immediate future.

15 Cooking Rookie March 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Mmm, looks good!

16 Ann @ Healthy Tasty Chow March 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I love making my battered egg and cheese sandwiches with mortadella- funny you made this- you were somewhat reading my mind! LOVE Ezekiel bread!

17 Jessica@Healthy Exposures March 10, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Marla, this is genius!! I never would have thought of it myself. So glad you posted, as always :)

18 Roti n Rice March 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Every now and then, I like grilled cheese sandwich too. This egg battered one looks awesome!

19 Faith March 10, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Your Egg Battered Grilled Cheese looks so satisfying, Marla. I would love to pair it with a steaming cup of tomato soup! I’ve never had grilled cheese with an egg batter, but it sounds delicious…plus it’s a great way to get in more protein! :)

20 denise @ quickies on the dinner table March 10, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Whenever I’ve been good, I reward myself with a grilled cheese sandwich – it’s probably my all time favourite snack. Your version is just genius! Gotta try this soon :)

21 grace March 11, 2010 at 3:17 am

this is a great idea, one i’m surprised i haven’t seen before! the crunch must be tremendous. very nice, marla–this country-music-lover thanks you! :)

22 sweetlife March 11, 2010 at 7:27 am

LOVE LOVE THE GRILLED CHEESE!!

SWEETLIFE

23 Blond Duck March 11, 2010 at 10:13 am

I’m still craving grilled cheese…I never got mine last night! :(

24 shelly (cookies and cups) March 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Grilled cheese on Ezekiel bread..oh yeah!!!

25 Michelle March 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Grilled cheese is always popular with me too. Love how beautiful the battered bread turns out.

26 Chitra March 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

I love grilled cheese and love your spin on it. It looks so delicious.

27 sophia March 13, 2010 at 12:21 am

Marla, I eat grilled cheese sandwiches as a late-night snack. It’s the perfect comfort food for me!

28 Christine March 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm

This looks amazing! I love your choice of healthy breads…I definitely want to try the Essential Flax Seed Bread! You are so right to be promoting a little fat in out meals…not only does it keep you satisfied, but our bodies need it to function properly. Your pictures again, amaze me. Love your blog. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

29 S March 14, 2010 at 11:20 am

Oh, I love grilled cheese! I like the avocado idea. Maybe I’ll add both avocado and tomato next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Marla!

30 xiaoyen March 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

My son is such a fan of grilled cheese sandwich. I haven’t make it so long. This will get me going again and surprise him.

31 Amanda April 27, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Yum! Have you submitted this to the Grilled Cheese Academy yet? http://www.grilledcheeseacademy.com/submitrecipe

32 Patti at Worth The Whisk July 9, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Gimme a grilled cheese and bowl of tomato soup, I’m a happy cowgirl. This looks scrumptious.

33 Jenn H September 27, 2012 at 7:20 pm

My boys have requested more varitety in their lunch boxes and I found your site. Are all of these menu ideas ment to be served cold? My boys do not have a way to heat up food at school.

34 Marla September 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hi Jenn! Choose the meals you think they will like served cold. I’ll eat virtually anything homemade in the lunchbox. My kids too.