Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil

by Marla on March 22, 2010 · 39 comments

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Anyone can make these Baked Sweet Potato Fries…..I mean anyone. You won’t miss out on fattening “fried” fries once you get a taste of these babies. No the recipe isn’t genius, but the flavor sure is. Baked sweet potato fries should be an essential in everyones recipe box.  They are simple and quick to prepare. You can season them any which way with pretty much whatever spices you have in your spice rack.

Got curry powder? Throw it on. Fajita seasoning? Go for it. Craving something a bit sweeter? Sprinkle your sweet potatoes with some cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom instead.

No matter how you season ‘em…..happy flavors and loads of good for you nutrients are in these baked not fried “fries.”

preschool boy in crib looking up in PJ's

Fresh Benefits

Sweet Potatoes are a wonderful high-energy food choice to add in your meal plan.  Some of the benefits include:

• Loads of vitamins and minerals, especially high in vitamins A & C.
  • Lots of antioxidants to help fight those free radicals.
  • Sweet potatoes are a complex carb with low glycemic index.  Fuel food, not crash food.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil on FamilyFreshCooking.com

To learn more about the health benefits of sweet potatoes click the following links:

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: As much as you want to make

Serving Size: 1/2 cup per person

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil

• 2-4 large Garnet Yams "Sweet Potatoes", scrubbed clean, skin on, cut into 1/2 inch fries
  • a few splashes of Herbed Olive Oil (I used groOrganic's Rosemary Garlic. You can use regular olive oil if you don't have flavored)
  • Season to taste: *You can always add more seasoning when they are finished baking.
  • Paprika
  • Garlic Salt or Sea Salt
  • Pepper
  • Thyme or any spice you like including but not at all limited to: Rosemary, Smoked Paprika, Oregano, Curry Powder, Chili Powder, Chinese 5 Spice, Herbs de Provence, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Ground Ginger, Allspice, Cayenne, etc.....anything goes here guys!

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Toss cleaned & sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil and chosen seasonings. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes. Toss every 10 minutes to assure that all sides cook evenly.
  • Adjust baking time according to how crispy you want your "fries." If needed you can turn the broiler on low to crisp up your fries a little more. Watch them very carefully if you do this so they do not burn! Toss gently and often. A few minutes is all they will need under the broiler. Adjust your seasoning to taste if needed.
  • Notes
  • Cook your Baked Sweet Potato Fries in a Big Batch so they are grab and go and at the ready. You can always re-heat them in the oven when you are ready to eat them.
  • There are so many yummy flavored olive oils out there. From roasted garlic to various herb blends, they add loads of flavor to salads, sautés, roasted & grilled foods.
  • Garnet Yams are the ones with the red skin & bright orange flesh.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Sweet Potato Fries Recipe Links

1 Maria March 22, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE sweet potato fries. I like to make them with fresh rosemary or even plain. These look amazing! Great side or snack!

2 Michelle March 22, 2010 at 3:40 pm

They look great. I generally use kosher salt and chili powder on mine so they aren’t too sweet. And they definitely need to be more on the crunchy side for me. No soggy fries for this girl.

3 Jessica @ How Sweet March 22, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Love sweet potato fries! We seriously eat them a few times a week! :)

4 Rosa March 22, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Lovely fries and cute kid!

5 FoodFitnessFreshair March 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I love sweet potato fries! In my opinion, sweet potatoes are far superior to regular potatoes!

6 A Canadian Foodie March 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I actually have my students make oven fries with sweet potatoes and russets. They are endlessly amazed at how delicious and nutritious these are. Thank you for sharing your flavour ideas so I can now share them with my students.
Valerie

7 Victoria March 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Anyone? Are you sure you mean anyone…. :)
They look phenomenal — another amazing post!!

Marla Says:
Victoria, I know you can make these!!! I promise.

8 Manushka Montemuino March 22, 2010 at 6:22 pm

i love this recipe. can’t wait to try it on my 16 month old.
thank you.
can’t wait to taste the sweet basil and garlic olive oil.

9 Kristen @ Change of Pace March 22, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Sweet potato fries are my fav! I like them more than regular fries! I usually put cajun seasoning all over mine… YUM :)

10 Karen March 22, 2010 at 6:32 pm

My kids love baked sweet potato fries, and would pick them over regular potatoes in a heartbeat. A nice, crispier variation is slicing them on my mandoline and making a baked sweet potato chip. :)

11 sophia March 22, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I adore sweet potato fries..and I honestly think the baked version is superior…chewy in the inside, slightly crispy outside. And who wants regular fries after this?

12 Noelle March 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Great looking pictures. I like sweet potato fries, sweet yet they can salty and spicy too!

13 LilSis March 22, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I know how good Sweet Potatoes are for you and I don’t make any fried food, but I’ve never made these! I don’t know why!!

14 grace March 23, 2010 at 3:02 am

i usually request a side other than regular french fries whenever i’m eating out, but i’m always in the mood for sweet potato fries. gimme some cinnamon butter as a dip and i’m good to go–no entree or dessert required. :)

15 Joanne March 23, 2010 at 4:58 am

Sweet potato fries are HUGE favorites around here. Especially baked. These look awesome and I love all of your topping ideas.

Seriously, why have regular potatoes when you can have sweet ones. Once you go orange…you never go back.

16 Ashlei March 23, 2010 at 6:46 am

Oh I love sweet potato fries! Is that rosemary I see on them? One of my favorite spices for roasted veggies :)

17 Valen March 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

Mmmmm, I love baked sweet potato fries and these look great!

18 Nicole, RD March 23, 2010 at 9:22 am

Ahhh! I love sweet potato fries! So delicious! I love them with cinnamon, sea salt, garlic powder…and some rosemary! Delicious! Great recipe — I’ve been wondering about the temperature :)

19 Rose @ The Bite Me Kitchen March 23, 2010 at 9:38 am

Mhm! We love sweet potatoes and sweet potato fries in particular!

20 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 23, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I love sweet potatoes! Sweet potato fries are a go-to quick yummy carb I make for dinners often. I love the addition of herb oil here.

21 Trendsetters March 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

very crunchy fries

22 Faith March 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Your sweet potato fries look like the perfect addition to any dinner, Marla! My mom makes sweet potato fries with cinnamon and a little nutmeg…I’m going to share your version with her since I think she’d love them too! :)

23 sweetlife March 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm

sweet potaotes fries…yes they are wonderful..we love them..cutie pie ya got there

sweetlife

24 Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl March 24, 2010 at 7:45 am

I LOVE sweet potatoes! And your fries look amazing. :-D

25 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom March 24, 2010 at 9:30 am

Yum. My kids are huge sweet potato fry fans. I typically use either a mix of chili powder and cumin … or I go sweet with some brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Sometimes I use the frozen sweet potato fries as a healthier alternative to frozen French fries.

26 Wendy March 24, 2010 at 11:47 am

I tried to make some Sweet potato fries the other night (baked) – and they turned into soggy mush. Are these “crispy”? My last batch we had to eat with forks, you couldn’t even pick them up like fries.

thanks in advance for any help….
Marla says:
They do tend to be mushier than regular fries….but the taste is so much more dynamic. Sometimes you need to give them a little “nudge” in the right direction. When they are nicely browned on all sides from baking, after the 40 minutes or so….you can turn your broiler on low and cook them under there a few more minutes. Just be sure to watch your fries very carefully so they do not burn! Toss with tongs frequently.

27 Reeni March 24, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I just love sweet potato fries! I don’t mind that they don’t get as crispy as a ‘real’ fry. With a little bit of olive oil and some seasoning they take on a personality all their own.

28 shelly (cookies and cups) March 25, 2010 at 5:28 am

i love sweet potato fries! haven’t ever added rosemary to them, though…sounds yummy!

29 peachkins March 25, 2010 at 8:12 am

my mom loves fried sweet potato. I’ll make her some of these.it’s a healthier alternative..

30 TasteofBeirut March 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

This is fantastic! I’ve been looking for a healthy recipe for sweet potato fries! Thanks!

31 Ann @ Healthy Tasty Chow March 27, 2010 at 7:16 am

These look perfect! I always end up getting soggy sweet potato fries but I never toss them every 10 minutes, ususally just once…maybe that’s the problem!

32 sally cameron February 9, 2011 at 11:46 am

Marla, great job on your recipe index. I like lots of