Crispy Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas

by Marla on March 26, 2010 · 68 comments

These crispy chickpeas will give you lots to feel great about.  They are a great grab-n-go crunch that is good for you too. You can toss a baggie of these in your kids lunchbox, your lunchbox, purse or gym bag. Instead of reaching for a high-carb, overly salted chip, you can make your own. From sweet to savory. The gamut of flavor is wide open, be creative and have fun with this recipe.

A little bit about chickpeas (garbanzo beans):

• Garbanzo beans are inexpensive and easy to find. Buy them dried or canned.
  • Versatile. They can be used in soup, stew, chili, on salads, tossed with pasta, added to sauces, made into hummus….or roasted. You can even use the flour in baked goods. I have seen everything from cookies to cakes, muffins & brownies with chickpeas as a base.
  • Chickpeas are a very good source of folic acid, fiber & manganese. Also rich in the minerals iron, copper, zinc, and magnesium.
  • They are also a good source of protein.
  • They are low glycemic….good for insulin resistant and people with diabetic conditions.

Variations

• I sometimes use these to top my yogurt parfait. They add a nice crunch and some extra protein.
  • Toss some on you oatbowl instead of nuts….or with them.
  • They are great in kids lunch boxes. A peanut-free way to enjoy a healthy snack, safe for “nut-free” zones.

What’s your favorite way to use chickpeas?  How will you season yours?

Crispy Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas

Assume about 1/2 cup per person. This recipe will yield about 6 servings.

NOTES:

• You can use regular olive oil or flavored. Roasted garlic to various herb blends would  be great.
  • If you are going sweet you might want to add a bit of maple syrup, honey or agave before roasting.
  • You can also toss them with some hot sauce if you want them spicy.
  • Some seasonings to consider: Black Pepper, Rosemary, Smoked Paprika, Oregano, Curry Powder, Chili Powder, Chinese 5 Spice, Herbs de Provence, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Ground Ginger, Ground Mustard, Allspice, Cayenne, etc…. the only rule, don’t over think it and just have fun with unique flavor combinations.

INGREDIENTS

• 3 cups cooked Chickpeas (also called Garbanzo Beans)
  • some Canola or Olive Oil to lightly coat
  • Seasonings: I like sea salt and smoked paprika

METHOD

Preheat oven to 400˚F. Toss chickpeas with spice, salt and a small amount of oil. Put them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Toss them every 10 minutes. Let them cool completely before serving. They get much more crunchy after they cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Print This Recipe...

Chickpea Recipe Links

1 Selena March 26, 2010 at 8:48 am

These sound heavenly. I adore chickpeas. I usually eat them by the bowl when they are from the can. I must try this recipe.

2 Fran March 26, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oooohhh…sounds yummy and will try later.
    One idea, if I may: what about heating the curry powder in the oil first, just for a minute or two to bloom it? That way you won’t have the “raw” taste.

3 chocolate shavings March 26, 2010 at 9:34 am

What a prefect healthy snack!

4 Jessica @ How Sweet March 26, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love roasted chickpeas! Your pictures are fabulous and I love the container they are in!!

5 Rosa March 26, 2010 at 11:18 am

A healthy snack! I love roasted chickpeas!

6 A Canadian Foodie March 26, 2010 at 11:24 am

You absolutely ROCK. I am going to have my students make these where we get back from spring break. Husband and I are actually heading to London UK tonight. I do nutritious snacks with my 12 year olds at school and have never done this. I will link to you and let you know how it goes once we get this happening. Thank you for thinking up and creating this wonderful food.
    Big Bear Hug!
    Valerie

7 A Canadian Foodie March 26, 2010 at 11:26 am

PS. Where did you find the print this recipe plug in?
    Marla Says:
    My hubs put that together. I can ask him for you!

8 Rose @ The Bite Me Kitchen March 26, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Yum yum yum! This is a great idea :D

9 sweetlife March 26, 2010 at 1:05 pm

what a great idea….I love the texture of cripsnesses to the chickpeas…we put chickpeas in our brown rice salad or make dip with chickpeas….cute pics…
    sweetlife

10 FoodFitnessFreshair March 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I’ve been meaning to try these forever! I’ve came across so many crunchy snack chickpea recipes lately, and I think it’s such a wonderful idea. Love the pictures!

11 Faith March 26, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Mike really loves roasted chickpeas…he likes them extra spicy! :) I never even thought to make them sweet, what a great idea, Marla! I’d like to do a batch with honey and cinnamon for a crunchy yogurt topping!

12 tasteofbeirut March 26, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Marla

I am so impressed with your site! Love the layout and design of your site and the recipes are great easy and healthy and delicious
    I will check back often!

Joumana

13 Nancy S March 26, 2010 at 11:08 pm

You read my mind! I’ve been craving these but haven’t yet looked up a recipe -thanks for making it easy. My Armenian family always had roasted chickpeas in bowls at family gatherings. Yum! It’s been a long time.

14 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 27, 2010 at 1:33 am

you know ive seen these done alot and i have heard everything from amazing to just “okay”. i am impressed with you saying they are really good, b.c if they get your stamp, they really are good :)

and glad the lunchbox will come in handy, and i hope you have a super weekend!

15 grace March 27, 2010 at 3:28 am

roasted garbanzos are definitely one of my favorite noshes–they’re so tasty that i tend to devour an entire batch without even realizing it! i love your presentation and flavor suggestions. :)

16 Joanne March 27, 2010 at 5:31 am

I love roasted chickpeas! They definitely satisfy that snacky salty crunchy craving when it seems like nothing but a chip will (not that I ever keep chips around but the craving still hits at times!). My favorite are topped with something spicy…a little wasabi powder maybe? Usually does the trick.

Where did you get those popcorn-like chickpea containers? They are fantastic!

17 Ann @ Healthy Tasty Chow March 27, 2010 at 7:20 am

I’ve been craving these too- I tried hot wing sauce once (recipe on my blog) and I can’t get past using that, soooo good. A friend of mine recommends putting nutrtional yeast on them.

18 mary March 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

Great idea! I’ve always wondered how to make these, and now I can try. Thanks!

19 ashley March 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Looks delish! And by the way, please e-mail me your mailing address ASAP so I can get you your Glee Gum since you were a winner for my giveaway!! Thanks :-).

20 Cristina @TeenieCakes March 28, 2010 at 8:43 am

Hi Marla: I didn’t realize it was you at the FBF Seminiar yesterday sitting up front! You had some great questions and input. It was a great seminar and I apologize for not having introduced myself.

21 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 28, 2010 at 9:32 am

What a coincidence – I actually just made a batch of curry chickpeas and cauliflower poppers! You and me are on the same wave length, delish!

22 Michelle March 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm

They’re looking yummy!

23 Cara March 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Roasted chickpeas are one of the best snacks! I also like to add them to my salads. I think my favorite batch that I made had a little maple syrup, cider vinegar, and cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I also really like them with a spicy southwest seasoning blend.

24 xiaoyen March 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I remember my coworker went back to the Philippines and brought back these delicious roasted chickpeas. I never thought about making them myself. What a great idea!

25 Nicole, RD March 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Marla, your photos are STUNNING!!! I am so impressed with you! You better bring that camera and share your wealth of photo knowledge with me at BlogHer!! Love the crunchy roasted chick peas! I’ve made them several times and just love their crunch…and fiber :)

26 Maria March 29, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I love these! Great healthy snack. I need to post my recipe sometime! Love the popcorn twist too, so fun!

27 Alicia March 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I *just* bought chickpeas with plans to make hummus… I may make this instead!
    Marla Says:
    I had done the same, I ended up roasting some & adding others to soup. One day hummus!

28 Cooking with Coley March 29, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Mmmm. I’m sold. Can’t wait to try these. I’ll certainly post about them on my blog when I do!

29 kathy March 29, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Yummy! This will be great on those days when I have cravings for crunchy yet healthy snack. Thanks :-)

30 Lorren December 12, 2011 at 7:31 am

Thanks for helping me to see things in a dffierent light.

31 Patience March 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Yummmm, you are amazing! I love the website! What a rockstar you are. I am loving all these recipes!

32 shelly (cookies and cups) March 30, 2010 at 5:58 am

I love chick peas like this. I have made them in the past, but completely forgotten about them…thanks for the inspiration :)

33 denise @ quickies on the dinner table March 30, 2010 at 7:00 am

We call them so many things at home: chickpeas, garbanzos, channa dhal, but they’re all the same yummy thing! I love chickpeas and can’t wait to try roasting them like this! Love the cheery pics!

34 Pat March 30, 2010 at 8:06 am

I tried making a similar recipe a while back but I ran into a couple of problems, while they were in the oven, some would actually pop out of the baking pan, is that normal? Also when I took them out of the oven to cool down, they were a bit mushy on the inside, almost like they never really were that crunchy, I want to try your recipe. Any pointers you can give me? I will say I drained the garbonzo’s and let them air dry for a couple of minutes before I tossed them in some oil and put into the oven. Thanks so much!

35 Jessica March 30, 2010 at 8:34 am

HEY! Just started reading your blog and I like what you eat! The chickpeas look like a great idea, I just printed the recipe to give them a try maybe this weekend!
    The spice combos are a great help, can’t wait to try them!

36 elra March 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Marla, I used to buy this roasted chickpeas at the Middle Eastern store. I am so glad you posted this recipe, I don’t need to buy them anymore. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

37 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom March 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Well, that’s one of the cutest blog posts I’ve ever seen. Talk about making good nutrition fun! I’ve made roasted chickpeas before and could never get the time and temp right. I will definitely plan on giving these a try.

38 marla March 31, 2010 at 5:14 am

I am so happy you guys are loving this post. You will be so pleased if you try these chickpeas. I have been munching on them daily!

39 Cherine March 31, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love roasted chickpeas!! So healthy and yummy!

40 Amanda @ LessonsInModeration March 31, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Nicole over at Cooking with Coley recommended your blog and I’m so glad I checked it out!! I have been wanting to try a roasted chickpea recipe forver! Thanks for the great seasoning suggestions. I don’t think I would have thought of these on my own.
    Marla Says:
    Thanks for coming over to visit!!

41 Christine March 31, 2010 at 5:29 pm

These chickpeas sound fantastic! I love roasting food of any kind and I never thought chickpeas. Question…can you do it with canned chickpeas or do you have to cook them first?
    I totally have done the garbanzo brownies and they were horrendous!! Hahaha!

42 Kaitlin April 5, 2010 at 6:34 am

This is such a fantastic idea! I love your presentation, too :D

43 Emilee April 8, 2010 at 7:22 am

well I tried these last night with canned chickpeas, they turned out ok but not really crunchy…maybe I should use fresh/cooked ones? Or perhaps I didn’t bake them long enough, I was a bit distracted when I was doing these and dinner.

44 marla April 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

I would say cook them a bit longer. They can be a bit fussy….everyone’s ovens can cook at different temps etc. Once you have the time write it down so you don’t forget for next time. Make sure the chickpeas are on a single layer and you toss them frequently, otherwise they will just steam. xxoo

45 Cooking with Coley April 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I finally made these today and even blogged about them! They came out fantastic – just wish the photography was as good as yours. ;)

46 marla April 12, 2010 at 5:50 am

Oh yeah! I am so happy you made the chickpeas and enjoyed them. I will go check ‘em out on your blog.

47 Mike April 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Marla, I tried these and really liked them but they kind of have an aftertaste, that lingers in your mouth, its more so the texture rather than an aftertaste I guess that is not great. I am not sure if you have encountered that but any suggestions on how to get rid of that?

Thanks

48 marla April 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I am not sure what you are getting as far as aftertaste, though I want to help you figure it out!! Do you think you baked them long enough? Perhaps the chickpeas were “soft” on the inside. I know when mine have not cooked all the way they are a bit chewy and kinda off. Maybe bake ‘em a bit longer next time and toss them a bit more.

49 damaris April 26, 2010 at 9:55 am

This looks delish! I’m going to make some for sure. I’m always looking for healthy snack ideas.

50 Lenetta @ Nettacow April 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I don’t know how time is getting away so quickly! I linked to this a while back on one of my weekly link roundups (post is under my name). Thanks for sharing – it sounds delicious!

51 Cucee Sprouts July 27, 2010 at 10:37 am

I love the pictures!!! I made these recently as well and they became family’s favorite snacks. Here is my spin on the recipe http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/07/mission-statement/

52 Lentil Breakdown December 24, 2010 at 11:41 pm

I love this idea and served in the popcorn container is so
    cute! When I was in Turkey, they sold them as snacks like this, but
    I never see this in the States. I didn’t think to make my own until
    now. Thanks!

53 Marla December 25, 2010 at 4:49 am

Adair: I would live to find these chickpea snacks on street corners. I could imagine they smelled amazing coming from the street carts in Turkey. I am wondering how they season them over there?

54 Kasim January 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Here is the information about the roasted chickpeas sold in Turkey:

55 Karen June 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

They were amazingly crunchy thanks for the recipe

56 Carrie September 8, 2012 at 6:39 am

Just wondering…is it necessary to use seasoning at all? I have too many preferences to appease, and would just prefer to do “plain” chick peas. Do you suppose it would taste ok if I only used sea salt?

57 Evelyn January 16, 2013 at 6:23 am

I only seasoned mine with sea-salt and it was very delicious!