Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup

by Marla on March 31, 2010 · 19 comments

This creamy soup combines a few of my all time favorite ingredients…chickpeas and sweet potatoes. For a quick, healthy and satisfying soup whiz this up in your blender or food processor. Top with some chicken, tofu or tempeh and you have a full meal.

Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup with Cilantro and Greek Yogurt

My last post was Crispy Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas. I have been munching them constantly. I made soooooo many chickpeas, because of my Big Batch obsession. Thankfully I left a few cups cooked but not roasted. The goal was to make some hummus. Then three sweet potatoes on our kitchen counter caught my eye. They needed me & I needed them. The chickpeas needed them too. A union was made and it was oh so perfect.

Little boy wearing Snoopy, Peanuts shirt

Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup

Makes about ten 8 ounce servings. This recipe can easily be halved, doubled or tripled using the equivalent ratios.

• Source Organic ingredients when available.
  • Shop for ingredients at the Family Fresh Cooking Amazon Store
  • As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to season your Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup.
  • Prepare a large pot of your Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup. Make a Big Batch so it’s grab and go and at the ready. Leftovers can be portioned out and frozen. Homemade Fast Food, there when you need it!!
  • You can vary up your spices to accommodate what you have in your spice rack. This soup can be seasoned so many ways.

INGREDIENTS

• 3 medium to large Garnet Yams (red skinned-orange fleshed yams), cleaned & roughly cubed. I keep the skin on for added nutrients.
  • 3 cups cooked Chickpeas
  • 2 tbs Butter or Ghee (use Olive Oil if you want to make it vegan)
  • 1 chopped Shallot or small Onion
  • a few Garlic Cloves
  • pinch of ground Ginger or about 1 inch fresh chopped Ginger
  • pinch of crushed Red Pepper
  • pinch of Curry Powder
  • pinch of dried Cilantro
  • pinch of Cardamom
  • pinch of Black Pepper
  • 32 oz low sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth
  • Sea Salt to taste
  • Some hot water to thin out soup to desired thickness

Optional

Add a dollop to each bowl or stir in the following to make your soup more hearty

METHOD

Heat ghee & spices over medium heat until fragrant in a large soup pot. (My 3 quart Le Creuset is perfect for this soup.) Add shallot & garlic, sautée over medium high heat until softened. Add cooked chickpeas & sweet potato, heat for a few minutes. Add broth, bring soup to a boil. Turn down to simmer & cover. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes. Purée in batches in food processor or blender adding water to thin out as needed. Add salt and adjust spices to taste.

Print This Recipe...

Variations

• Spice up your soup with your favorite hot sauce.
  • Top with your favorite pico de gallo or salsa.
  • Top with shaved Parmesan, Romano, crumbled goat cheese, chevre, blue cheese, gorgonzola, shredded cheddar, etc.
  • Top with a dollop of light sour cream, non fat Greek yogurt, soy cream or ricotta.
  • Top with a small handful of chopped or sliced toasted almonds, walnuts, pecans etc.
  • Toss in a portion of your favorite lean protein. I used a link of my favorite Chicken Andouille Sausage from Trader Joe’s. Cubed chicken breast or ham would go nice with this soup too.
  • This soup is great for chilly weather or warmer months. You could use nutmeg, cinnamon & cardamom for Fall/Winter and Mexican seasonings for Spring/Summer.

Family Fresh Cooking Recipes with:

Sweet Potatoes

Chickpeas

Sweet Potato Chickpea Soup-Spices

Bright & Pretty Paints at Preschool

1 Jessica @ How Sweet March 31, 2010 at 8:03 pm

That soup sounds so delicious with the greek yogurt on top!

2 Sonia March 31, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Oh gosh! soup look so heavenly! I love it with dollop of sour cream. :) Nice pic and recipe. Your sweet potato is so handsome boy! :)

3 denise @ quickies on the dinner table March 31, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Two of my very favourite things, in the same bowl? How could I possibly resist?! Gorgeous presentation :)

4 FoodFitnessFreshair March 31, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Your boy is so cute! Anything with sweet potatoes is good to me. I love sweet potatoes in soup. They add such a creamy element. Sound like a great soup!

5 Rosa March 31, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Healthy and delicious! That combo sounds wonderful!

6 Cherine March 31, 2010 at 11:46 pm

This soup is so delicious and comforting!

7 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 1, 2010 at 2:07 am

great eats Marla, this looks so hearty and nourishing and delish, great job and thx for your awesome comment to me today :)
xoxo

8 Lisa Marie April 1, 2010 at 5:24 am

This looks fantastic! I bet I can even get my little one to eat this and he’s not a fan of soup. I’ll definitely be trying this out.

Beautiful photos by the way. :)

9 Maria April 1, 2010 at 7:07 am

It is SNOWING here so this looks REALLY good right now. Can you email me a bowl? :)

10 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather April 1, 2010 at 12:30 pm

This soup sounds absolutely delicious! So flavorful and nutrient packed. I like how you combined your last 2 post’s star ingredients together.

11 grace April 1, 2010 at 12:40 pm

talk about your thick and hearty soups! my goodness, this’d go down real nice. i’m pretty keen on all things involving chickpeas, and this is one of the best uses for them! also, your kiddo is adorable. :)

12 shelly (cookies and cups) April 3, 2010 at 4:55 am

This looks so hearty and delicious!

13 CookingwithColey April 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Now this is improvisation! Looks excellent and I can’t wait to give it a try!

14 Faith April 4, 2010 at 6:21 am

Your pictures are absolutely stunning, Marla! I love how thick and hearty this soup is, it looks so incredibly satisfying! Curry and sweet potatoes are a truly magical combo!

15 A Canadian Foodie April 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Marla!
I think you are getting me in the mood for an entire unit on Chick Peas at school. This looks yummy. And I am aware of how nutritious it would be… I also make a spicy tomato and chick pea soup that I love.
You have the greatest recipes.
YUM.

16 diva April 13, 2010 at 1:08 am

Gorgeous pictures – your chickpea soup looks so good I just wanna dive in there and slurp it all up with a good chunka bread too. Your blog is so prettily laid out. Thanks for stopping by mine. :) New food acquaintance! x

17 Sara October 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm

This looks so good! Some of m favorite ingredients–I’ll be trying this one tonight!