Roasted Asparagus with Gruyère & Smoked Paprika

by Marla on May 10, 2010 · 38 comments

Asparagus with melted gruyere cheeseRoasted asparagus is a simple recipe that uses ingredients that line my spice rack and fill my fridge. There is something about roasting veggies that brings out so much flavor. Asparagus is delicious and it can be prepared in so many ways. I recently posted Chicken with Coconut-Lime Peanut Sauce that was a huge hit around the web. It had chopped asparagus in it too. Smoked paprika and Gruyére cheese add a fun, flavorful twist to a serving of veggies.

Asparagus on silpat with melted cheese

Serve this asparagus with whole grains & chickenfish or tofu.  You can top these spears with a soft boiled egg & you have a full meal.  Is it OK to put cheese on your veggies?  Sure, if it is high quality, delicious cheese.  I just make sure the rest of the meal is filled with lean, lower fat choices.

Silly family photo with asparagus

How do you like to prepare asparagus?

Roasted Asparagus with Gruyère & Smoked Paprika

makes about 4 servings

NOTES:

• I have found great Gruyère cheese at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods.  If you have a local cheese shop you love, that would be even better.

INGREDIENTS

• at least one bunch of Asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
  • Olive Oil or Flavored Olive Oil (I used Rosemary Garlic)
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper
  • Smoked Paprika
  • handful of grated Gruyère cheese (Parmesan or Romano would be great too)

METHOD

Pre-heat oven t0 425˚F Line a baking sheet with Silpat, parchment or foil Coat asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and toss with all seasonings. Cook for about 5 minutes toss, cook another 4 minutes. Add cheese & cook for another minute for a total of 10 minutes or so.  Cheese should be browned and bubbling.

Print This Recipe...

Roasted Asparagus Recipe Links

1 Maria May 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

My mouth is watering. Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies-ok, they are all my favorite, but I really love asparagus. Love how you fixed them here. Great recipe!

2 Nadia May 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm

This seems like a fab’ combination. Yum! Your kids look so sweet. :)

3 Rosa May 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm

That is a yummy combo!

4 FoodFitnessFreshair May 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’ve never had asparagus cooked with melted cheese. I love finding new ways to do things with asparagus though because we have a never-ending crop in our garden. I just found an interesting recipe on the NY Times the other day for asparagus pesto.

5 marla May 10, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Asparagus pesto sounds amazing! I must look for that recipe.

6 Jessica @ How Sweet May 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Oh how delicious! Gruyere is one of my most favorite cheeses!

7 Faith May 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Asparagus is one of my favorite go-to veggie this time of year. Roasting it is absolutely my favorite way to eat asparagus, but I never thought to add cheese…it looks fantastic, Marla!

8 Anh May 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm

So jealous of you! We are now going deeper in winter so no asparagus for a while! Love them!

9 Cara May 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm

mmm… asparagus, gruyere, paprika?! you don’t have to do much convincing to get me to eat my veggies but this sounds especially good :)

10 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom May 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I used smoked paprika today for roasted kale chips. Too funny. I love your asparagus recipe: so easy and nutritious. Your photos are fabulous!

11 LilSis May 10, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Asparagus is probably my most favorite green veggie! We’re so lucky that we can get it almost year-round out here in California. Last summer I started grating some fresh parmesan on top of my grilled asparagus and the family loved it!! I’ll have to try with the gruyere!

12 Esi May 10, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Asparagus is my favorite spring food. Just got done chowing down on some, but saving this for future reference!

13 Sonia May 10, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Can you believe…I haven’t started to use this veges in my kitchen yet. Should try my hands soon. Love the 2nd pic…totally nice! :)

14 roxan May 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I also love asparagus, they are great as a side to almost any dish!

15 sophia May 11, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love asparagus…but I love that pic above of your family even more! It IS your family, right? I can recognize the cute faces! Aw, SUCH beautiful blue eyes….and your daughter is an eye-catcher!

16 grace May 11, 2010 at 3:20 am

mmm, gruyere. it’s all about the asparagus right now, and this is a fine preparation of it! i love the paprika too–it adds a great color and subtle flavor. :)

17 Noelle May 11, 2010 at 6:28 am

WOW! Looks super fantastic. I bet there were no complaints at all. ;)

18 Melanie May 11, 2010 at 7:21 am

Good morning Marla! I am SO making this! Yummy! What a fun way to add some great flavor to such a great summer favorite!

19 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 11, 2010 at 9:31 am

Oh Marla I need more asparagus in my life! Sounds superb :)

20 Sara May 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

Marla, I love your combination of Gruyere & Paprika!
    Your kids are adorable!!! :)xoxo

21 Heavenly Housewife May 11, 2010 at 10:23 am

This is one elegant way of preparing asparagus, absolutely beautiful!
    *kisses* HH

22 A Canadian Foodie May 11, 2010 at 12:01 pm

OMGosh! They are so delicious, I could eat them like candy, like that. I have had blanched spears wrapped in prosciutto, cold – but never hot – until last weekend. Had them roasted wrapped in Jamon Serano. Outrageously delicious. Even my husband likes them and he refuses to eat any cooked veggies… unless wrapped with a pig. Love asparagus. So beautiful. My grandmother used to grow it and I would play amongst the fronds… way above my head.
    Love the family photo!
    Valerie

23 angie May 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

YUMMY!!!!!! That sounds soooooo good. You are right, it would be fab on any veggie. Love the family photo!

24 Nicole, RD May 11, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I LOVE asparagus and I LOVE Gruyere…a lot! This looks wonderful! I am loving all the fresh asparagus lately, and I will be trying this! I have everything at home!! :)

25 Sophie May 11, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Indeed, what a tasty & fab dish!! I already tried Parmesan with green asparagus & I loved it so I will surely love your tasty recipe!

Yummmmm,…You have a COOL foodblog!

Many greets from Brussels, Belgium!

26 sweetlife May 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

yum, yum we love asparagus..this would be perfect with fish..

sweetlife

27 Barbara @ moderncomfortfood May 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

What a nice blog and with just the sorts of recipes I enjoy cooking (and eating!) myself. This idea for roasted seasonal asparagus, with the perfectly matched flavors of gruyere and smoked paprika, looks splendid. Great photos too. Many thanks for sharing!

28 Amy @ cookbookmaniac May 15, 2010 at 5:27 pm

This would make a wonderful side to my bangers and mash recipe. Cheese and asparagus should get married. They are perfect for each other!

29 brian_in_gib May 18, 2010 at 1:41 pm

That is just such a heavenly combination! Why didn’t I think of that? I’ll certainly try it out now. Thanks for this.
    Greetings from Gibraltar,
    Brian

30 Amanda February 19, 2011 at 7:20 am

Oh my gosh that asparagus “family” picture is awesome!! Love it. And love this idea!!!

31 Amanda February 20, 2011 at 7:04 am

Can you believe I’ve only had asparagus once, and that was just last year! I loved it, and this looks delicious!

32 Marla February 20, 2011 at 7:44 am

Amanda: So happy to hear you loved asparagus on the first take. Try ‘em with gruyére & smoked paprika & I guarantee you will crave them all the time!

33 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 20, 2011 at 7:23 am

I love this flavor combination! I hope you are having a great weekend. Let’s talk soon xoxo

34 Shaina February 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm

So cute, Marla. We love asparagus around these parts, and
    the Gruyere treatment looks divine.

35 Aggie February 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I want this!! I roast asparagus all the time, but why oh why not like this! Thanks for the inspiration! Looks delicious and love the family photo :)

36 sippitysup February 21, 2011 at 8:56 am

This is how I do it too! The cheese can change, but the
    roasting stays the same!! GREG

37 Robyn | Add a Pinch February 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Love, love, love asparagus!

38 Lori @ RecipeGirl May 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

This is like my favorite thing ever… roasted asparagus and then add Gruyere to it! So great.