Zucchini Carrot Soup

by Marla on May 12, 2010 · 42 comments

Fresh organic vegetable soup

There is nothing like a Big Batch of fresh garden veggie soup at the ready.  You can serve it to your family in a pinch.  What I love most about this soup is there is a few servings of veggies in each delicious bowl.  This soup is yummy served piping hot, warm or even cold. That makes it a nice choice for entertaining guests too.

Puréed Zucchini Carrot Soup

Top this soup with light sour cream, non fat greek yogurt and even a few spoonfuls of your favorite salsa. I add chunks of chicken breast or lean chicken sausage to my bowl to make a full meal. My kids like little pieces of firm tofu thrown in. You really can’t go wrong with a fresh bowl of puréed veggie soup.  An added bonus….a big batch will last you a few days. The flavors get even better after 24 hours.

Zucchini Carrot Soup

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: six

Serving Size: 1 cup (8 ounces)

Zucchini Carrot Soup

• 1 cup chopped Onion
  • a few chopped Garlic Cloves
  • pinch of Salt
  • pinch of Curry Powder
  • Ground Black Pepper
  • Bunch of Carrots coarsely chopped
  • 4 Zucchini (about 1.5 pounds) coarsely chopped
  • a few Celery Stalks coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups Vegetable Broth (or Chicken Broth) vary amount depending on how thick you want your soup

• Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, salt pepper and curry powder. Reduce heat to medium and cook mixture until fragrant and slightly browned about 10 minutes. Add zucchini & carrots. Stir into onion mixture and cook for about 10-15 minutes until veggies are softened a bit. Add 1 1/2 cups of broth and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Reserve the additional 1/2 cup of broth. Take pot off heat and let soup cool a bit. Put soup in a food processor or blender and purée until desired thickness is achieved. You can add the additional broth or water to thin out your soup if desired.
  • Optional
  • Top with fresh herbs, non fat yogurt, low fat sour cream or salsa
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Vegetable Soup Recipe Links

1 Brandie @ Homemade Living May 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Sounds wonderful! I’m always looking for more zucchini and carrot recipes. And I love those bowls & plates(?).

2 marla May 12, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Hi Brandie, I got the bowls at Anthropologie. They still have them :)

3 Victoria May 12, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Beautiful presentation – not only does it sound delicious it’s a delight to look at!

4 marla May 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Hi Victoria….shouldn’t I be picking up the kids!! xo

5 Cookin' Canuck May 12, 2010 at 3:19 pm

This is an absolutely beautiful soup! I love how healthy it is. Your little guy couldn’t be any cuter.

6 Jenny Flake May 12, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Oooooeeeee girl, this looks so yummie!! LOVING those cute bowls :) Great post!

7 Jessica @ How Sweet May 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I love your bowls! SO pretty. This looks very tasty!

8 Julie Morris May 12, 2010 at 3:56 pm

GORGEOUS food, and gorgeous photography. Very inspiring Marla!

9 Amanda May 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

This looks awesome! And those bowls are gorgeous :)

10 Rosa May 12, 2010 at 4:29 pm

A wonderful purée! Nice presentation and flavors!

11 FoodFitnessFreshair May 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I make a pureed carrot soup and a pureed curry zucchini soup. I bet the combination is great! I love pureed veggie soups. They are so naturally creamy. Great pictures.

12 Sonia May 12, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Should try this combo in my soup. I too love your beautiful bowls and plates here. The soup looks beautiful in those bowls. :)

13 Winnie May 12, 2010 at 7:05 pm

It’s my first time visiting your blog and I am completely smitten! Love the colors you’ve got going on in your design- truly uplifting. And this recipe! And your photos! Love it all. Will be back SOON.

14 marla May 12, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Winnie, thanks for your super sweet compliments. Thanks for your visit.

15 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

this looks awesome, marla!

my kind of recipe and food, for sure!

sorry that ive been a little sporadic, life has been real busy around here. in a good way but you know, wife, mom, training, everything else…tapped :)

16 sophia May 12, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Marla, you don’t even have to add the word “fresh” in there…I can just SEE it from the pictures! Stunning pictures, once again. How can you make pulverized veggies look SO good?

17 Cara May 13, 2010 at 7:26 am

Yum! Love how pretty and simple this is. I’ll have to remember this when I’m (hopefully) having more produce from my little square foot garden than I know what to do with. We’ll see about that! I think it would be really nice with some chickpeas or cannellini beans blended in too.

18 marla May 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

Cara, beans would be wonderful blended into this soup. Great idea! xo

19 A Canadian Foodie May 13, 2010 at 9:35 am

Now that is a bowl of healthy flavourful goodness – and don’t you just love how the children prefer the raw veggies? Why does that change. Love your bowl, too!
Gorgeous little sneaky sweet cheeks!
Valerie

20 grace May 13, 2010 at 12:55 pm

what a healthy and lovely soup making use of the garden goods! i can tell i’d enjoy the texture as much as the taste–nicely done, marla!

21 Naomi May 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm

This looks amazing and so healthy. I can’t wait to make this for my boys!

22 Nicole, RD May 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Looks and sounds DELICIOUS! Congrats to Grace on winning the NOO giveaway!

23 Faith May 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I love your your kiddo sneaks carrots! That’s adorable! :)

I love the texture of this thick, hearty soup!

24 sippitysup May 13, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I think the curry and yogurt really elevate this to super sophisticated. GREG

25 Michelle May 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Love those photos, Marla. What a healthy dish!

26 Gaby May 13, 2010 at 3:08 pm

ummm this sounds fantastic! I love the way the texture looks! Give me a big toasted piece of bread and this soup and I will be one happy camper!

27 Raina May 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Hi. This soup looks wonderful…nutritious and delicious.

28 Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog May 13, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Marla gorgeous & healthy soup with a beautiful presentation!

Gera

29 krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com May 13, 2010 at 9:43 pm

that is definitely a gorgeous way to serve carrots! there’s nothing boring about this lovely soup. your son is adorable!!!

30 Laura @ youngDCliving May 13, 2010 at 11:20 pm

That soup looks SO good. Definitely want to make that soon!

31 Elaine from Cookware Help May 14, 2010 at 3:21 am

Looks and sounds very good – a wonderful combination of flavors. I love soups in any season. Zucchini is still quite a new cooking veggie for me. Have tried making it only once for chocolate cupcakes. I always loved the fresh zucchinis in grocery stores here, but was hesitant to buy many of them. This recipe inspires me to cook something with zucchini again. Thanks!

Love the photos especially the one with the kid. :)

32 Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread May 14, 2010 at 4:33 am

What a LOVELY fresh soup!!! I adore pureed soups and this sounds so perfect for summer.. fresh from home garden to belly!!!

P.S I have the same bowls. :) Anthro makes the cutest serving pieces!

33 Weekend Carnivore May 14, 2010 at 8:02 am

Looks so good and love the photo of the little boy!

34 KG July 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband and I have a garden and when we were gone for a week, we came back to some monstrous zukes that don’t do well without being used in soups, breads, etc. This soup came together wonderfully and was extra delicious with a big dollop of hummus on top.

35 Apron Appeal May 9, 2011 at 12:50 am

I found you from Oh she glows. This soup looks like salsa (not a bad thing). I’m always looking for great whole food recipes however due to allergies, I can’t totally convert to the lifestyle. (peanuts, legumes, soy are a no-go for my family). I look forward to seeing more.

And…your dishes in this post….adorable.

36 Jennifer Pratt August 10, 2011 at 8:55 am

We have zucchini growing prolific in our garden so i made this soup last night. It is lovely. I added a cup of orange juice to it, to give it a bit more zing. If I had an actual orange handy, I would have added zest and juiced the orange, but it worked out fine.

37 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl October 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm

This looks FABULOUS – so comforting and healthy.

38 The Healthy Epicurean November 5, 2012 at 1:29 am

Thanks for the link. Some gorgeous-looking soups here :-)

39 Rob March 4, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Made this recipe yesterday, only modification I made was leaving out the onion (not a fan) it was absolutely delicious! I have been working very hard to try to like/eat more vegetables and this recipe made it easy and tasty! Thank you! :)

40 Marla March 4, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hi Rob! Thanks so much for sharing that with me & I am very glad I got you to eat your veggies :)