Coconut Almond Crusted Tilapia

by Marla on May 14, 2010 · 35 comments

Light and tasty fish perfectly seasoned.

If you are looking for a simple, quick and delicious meal look no further. Coconut and almonds pair wonderfully with flakey tilapia. A healthy and balanced meal for lunch, dinner and perfect for Project Lunch Box too! I paired it with my tasty  Roasted Asparagus with Gruyére and Smoked Paprika.

Cheesy roasted asparagus with delicious fish.

You can also take your crusted tilapia on a picnic.

Must healthier than take-out fried chicken….ya know?!

Light, low fat crusted Tilapia.

Coconut Almond Crusted Tilapia

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 2-3 servings

Coconut Almond Crusted Tilapia

• 1 lb of Tilapia Filets
  • 1/4 cup Unsalted Almonds
  • 1/4 cup Unsweetened Dried Coconut Flake
  • pinch of Salt (use if your Almonds are unsalted)
  • pinch of Black Pepper
  • spray Olive Oil
  • fresh or dried Italian Parsley

• Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat liner or parchment paper. Combine almonds, coconut and salt & pepper. Pulse in food processor until well combined. It should be the texture of breadcrumbs. Lay tilapia on baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Sprinkle nut/coconut mixture on top of each filet. Spray tops of each filet with olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes, until top is lightly browned and tilapia is cooked through & flakey.

Tilapia Recipe Links

1 Jessica @ How Sweet May 14, 2010 at 7:38 am

I love coconut so this is right up my alley. I also really enjoy nut-crusted fish. SO good. This recipe is a keeper!

2 roxan May 14, 2010 at 7:45 am

I love your attitude! Personally I tend to try to get OUT of wearing makeup whenever possible, but I love that you embrace your makeup bag and are proud of it!! :)

3 Jenny Flake May 14, 2010 at 7:53 am

Um……YUM girl! This looks fantastic and so summery :) Let’s get together soon. Stumbled for you!

4 Rosa May 14, 2010 at 10:06 am

I love tilapia! What a nice idea. Perfect with asparagus.

5 Christine May 14, 2010 at 11:09 am

Love what you’ve done with the FRESH TOPICS window…looks soo great!

6 Heavenly Housewife May 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

I love that coating on your fish, I got to try doing this at home. I just love coconut.
Have a great weekend ahead!
*kisses* HH

7 CookiePie May 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Wow – that looks delicious!!! Such great flavors. I have to make this — even the baby loves fish, she would devour this :)

8 marla May 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I love hearing that even the baby loves her fish. Way to go girl getting her eating the good stuff!!

9 Cara May 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Yum! We’re always looking for new ways to prepare tilapia that are simple and healthy. I love the versatility of this fish! (well really, any white fish of course.) Sounds great, M!

10 Ali @ Redhead Reports May 14, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I have some tilapia in the freezer – I think this weekend will be the perfect time for me to thaw it out and try this recipe!

Have fun at Camp Blogaway!

11 A Canadian Foodie May 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Oh, come on!
That is my kind of picnic! YUM. Excellent hot or cold. Healthy, flavourful – and simply gorgeous to look at. My, oh, my – have things changed since the day of the fried chicken and potato salad with apple pie picnic. Those really were the good old days. You could afford to eat it because you never sat still. Now, a picnic like that would be a heart attack on a plate. I am so happy that I was a child born before the computer age. I played outside and learned to amuse myself with my own imagination. I still remember the thrill of the game. Any game. I love my computer now – but, everything is different….starting with picnics!
Valerie

12 grace May 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

it’s well documented that i don’t like fish. however, that said, if ever i would give it a try, it’d be prepared just like this. LOVE the coconut!

13 FoodFitnessFreshair May 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I just had cod last night, and I feel like this recipe might work for that as well. Looks like a good one. Have fun at the blogger event!!

14 nady May 14, 2010 at 3:37 pm

YUM….I never made anything with coconut! I will try to make it next week…
Have fun at your bootcamp girl!

15 xiaoyen May 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I can imagine how great this will taste! Tilapia is one of my favorites. No frying makes this such a healthy dish.

16 roxan May 14, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Marla, just a quick note to let you know that I’ve nominated you for a sunshine award on my blog. I really do enjoy your recipes and all the info that you provide. Have a great weekend!

17 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 14, 2010 at 9:17 pm

What a great way to add coconut to fish recipes, sounds tasty! Have fun this weekend, I bet it will be a great time.

18 sweetlife May 14, 2010 at 9:54 pm

we usually make fish covered with panko and some kind of nut or seed but I have never thought to use coconut..great idea…have fun at camp blog away

sweetlife

19 Sara May 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Yum! Love the Coconut Almond Crusted Tilapia Recipe!!!
Have Fun at Camp Blogaway!!! Next time take me with you!!! :)

20 Brandie @ Homemade Living May 15, 2010 at 12:26 pm

We LOVE coconut in our house and I’m always looking for new tilapia recipes. Totally gonna make this. Thanks Marla!

(and I’m sorta kicking myself for not signing up for camp blogaway…anxious to here all about it)

21 Cookin' Canuck May 15, 2010 at 8:28 pm

What a pretty, healthy dish! I’m very envious of your trip to Camp Blogaway. Have a great time!

22 Joanne May 16, 2010 at 4:42 am

I’m with you. Me and my eyeliner never go anywhere without each other. We are joined at the hip. Have fun on your blogging trip!

This meal looks delicious. I’ve made coconut-crusted chicken before but I think it would be much better on tilapia.

23 Nicole, RD May 16, 2010 at 7:56 am

Blog camp! Oh, I can’t wait to see and read all about this experience! I guess I didn’t know blogging was your full-time job, either. Jealous :)

The tilapia looks wonderful! I’ll be saving the recipe for a night my hubby isn’t home. He doesn’t like coconut :( But it look SO good!

24 Faith May 16, 2010 at 11:43 am

I hope you have a wonderful weekend away, sweetie! This tilapia recipe looks incredible — the coconut in the crust is amazing!

25 Raina at The Garden of Yum May 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm

This looks wonderful. I have never tried tilapia. I think my family would like it. Thanks!

26 sophia May 16, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I can’t believe it’s MONDAY already! Because of the time difference and traveling, I’ve lost a whole weekend!

It’s gonna be a while till I get to cook…but holy tilapia this is going on my bookmarked folder! MUST MUST MUST make this! :D

27 sippitysup May 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I love that you love tiliapia. I love tilapia too. I also think the coconut crust just makes sense here. It was great meeting you at camp, now I can put a beautiful face and a vivacious personality to all the great food you present here. GREG

28 jaden May 17, 2010 at 8:24 pm

LOVE that first photo – so dramatic!

29 The Duo Dishes June 3, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Now this would be perfect for the season. Looks great!

30 Valerie @ From Valerie's Kitchen April 12, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’m always looking for something new to do with tilapia. This looks great!

31 Marla April 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hi Valerie! So glad you likey…. Hope you get to try this recipe soon :)

32 Sarah September 27, 2012 at 6:28 am

Add in about 1/2 tsp. curry powder. It complements the coconut flavor nicely. Then, when you are about to serve the fish, squeeze some lemon juice over the fish. It gives it a beautiful, almost Thai flavor.

33 Marla September 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

Awesome idea! I love curry powder. It does pair great with coconut. Thanks for sharing & I will try this next time :)

34 Brandy December 1, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I made this tonight with a side of roasted asparagus and it was delicious! I normally don’t like fish, but my household does! I saw this recipe and thought I would try it, in hopes that I could force it down. So glad I made it! I didn’t have to force it at all. It was perfect! I will definitely make this again.

35 Marla December 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Great!! Thanks so much for sharing your dinner success :)