How to Pack a Quick and Healthy Lunchbox

by Marla on May 17, 2010 · 27 comments

Healthy lunch box One of the biggest reasons I started Family Fresh Cooking was to answer the loads of inquiries I had all the time regarding my daily lunchbox specials.  I make 3 boxed lunches per day.  One for me and one for each of my kids =3.  The ingredients may vary from box to box, but the essentials are all there.  Fresh fruit, veggies, lean proteins, whole grains and healthy fats fill our lunch boxes.  Sometimes I include leftovers from the night before, other times I toss in a sandwich or in this case a wrap.

No matter what, the meals have been made in our kitchen with the best possible ingredients I can find.  Crafting your own lunches from scratch is quick and simple when you have your ingredients prepped and at the ready.  It’s just grab and go when everything is staged and lookin’ all pretty your fridge.

When you pack a lunchbox the benefits are huge. Not only do you save money, you can control portion sizes and use much higher quality ingredients than if you were to purchase take out food.  I will share a simple wrap that you can make for yourself or your kids.  It is very tasty and can be prepared in a pinch.

Smoked Turkey and Roast Pepper Wrap

Ingredients per wrap

This quick wrap is filled with veggies, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fat.  It will keep you satisfied long after you enjoy it.

• Source Organic ingredients when available.
  • Shop for ingredients at the Family Fresh Cooking Amazon Store
  • My recipes serve as inspiration. Feel free to experiment with ingredients you have on hand. No stress. Just good, clean eats!

INGREDIENTS

• Lean Protein:  A few slices of your favorite Nitrate Free Deli Meat.  I used Trader Joe’s Smoked Turkey Breast.
  • Healthy Fat:  Your favorite hummus or a slice of cheese
  • Whole Grains:  I love the super thin and tasty Mountain Bread wrappers. Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas are another favorite.
  • Veggies:  I used Swiss Chard and jarred Roasted Red Peppers in these wraps.  You can use lettuce, baby spinach or any of your favorite veggies.

METHOD

1. Grab your wrap.
  2. Smear on some hummus or place your cheese on top of wrapper.
  3. About 1 inch away from the edge of wrapper, layer on your deli meat and veggies.
  4. Roll it all up & place a toothpick every 1 1/2 inches.
  5. Slice in between toothpicks with a sharp knife.
  6. Enjoy at work, at play or at school!

Print This Recipe...

What are your favorite ingredients to put into a wrap?

Do you have a favorite wrapper to share with us?  How about a great spread?

Wrap sandwich, carrots, strawberries and blackberries

Some Family Fresh Cooking Lunchbox Favorites

Skinny Almond Crusted Chicken Strips

Egg Battered Grilled Cheese

Crispy Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas

The Sushi Roll

“In a Pinch” Crab Salad

Grilled Turkey Meatloaf

Tempeh Wild Mushroom Sauté

1 Kristen @ Change of Pace May 17, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I usually pack my husbands lunch but usually end up in a lunchbox rut… It’s hard packing his lunch 5 days a week! He likes light chive cream cheese with turkey and green leaf lettuce in a spinach wrap. He also just likes ham and swiss with deli mustard. I try to sneak veggies in there when I can :)

2 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

not entering b/c i have one of these but hope you’re doing well! I am announcing things tomorrow….I am so excited (but busy!) in the next few weeks. We all are us crazy blogging not-soccer-mom moms :)
xo

3 Rosa May 17, 2010 at 11:23 pm

A healthy lunch! Very appetizing!

4 grace May 18, 2010 at 3:12 am

turkey, pepperjack, and lots of veggies–that’s my ideal wrap. i haven’t had an actual lunchbox in years…i think my last one had a care bears theme. :)

5 shelly (cookies and cups) May 18, 2010 at 6:34 am

I love making these lunches for my kids! I bought my 1st grader a lunch box with separate compartments, but they disconnect and it makes it hard for him. This box looks great!

6 Maria May 18, 2010 at 6:43 am

I always pack mine with veggies and hummus. I like this cilantro lime hummus:
I add in black beans, lettuce, tomato, onion, red pepper, and jicama!

7 FoodFitnessFreshair May 18, 2010 at 6:52 am

I pack a lot of hummus sandwiches, rice salads, and the occasional PB&banana for nostalgia. The berries really brighten up that lunch!

8 sweetlife May 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

great lunch box, love the wraps–wraps can be easily made and there are so many options..leftover beans, roasted veggies, leftover protein, pb…love the pics

sweetlife

9 Amy Dawson May 18, 2010 at 11:48 am

Great pictures and ideas. We’d love to have you post your ideas on lunchtaker.com. We’d calculate nutrition for you, and link back to your blog so folks would know you created the recipes. We’re really close to a new design release that will allow for featuring pictures of lunchbox systems filled with lunches, give total calories for the lunch etc – so if you visit and sign up for our newsletter, you’ll get that info soon. We’re excited. Have fun with packing lunch and coming up with great ideas. :) Amy http://www.lunchtaker.com

10 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 18, 2010 at 11:59 am

I love using smashed avocado as my spread and fat!

11 Faith May 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I always pack a lunch for Mike and I too — he likes a hot lunch but I usually make a sandwich or wrap with a salad for me. I love adding hummus to wraps — it’s a great source of protein (and so yummy!). :)

12 angie May 18, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Yummy! That looks so good! Also thank you for the lunch box website. Those are perfect. All moms are always looking for new fun ways for lunch other than the boring brown paper bag! I know my son (who is in Marla’s daughter’s class) will be looking at L’s lunch and asking to trade! Delicious. Waaaay better than takeout!

13 Juliana May 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Beautiful lunch box…so colorful and tasty :-)

14 joanne May 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Aside from eating breakfast, I’m pretty sure that packing your own lunch is the single most important thing that you can do to be healthy. Storebought lunches are NEVER as benign as you think. Plus they are crazy expensive! Your wrap ideas sound delicious.

15 A Canadian Foodie May 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm

When my girls were young, I used to take great pleasure in packing them a nutritious and delicious lunch that they would actually eat – and feel loved, when opening. I miss those days. I took great care to ensure every lunch was healthy and flavourful – and tried to avoid any kind of routine so that every day was a surprise. That was when they were in grades 4-6. After that, they made their own. Before that, they ate at grandma’s. You have really brought forward many rich memories with your simple post about packing a good lunch today, Marla!
Valerie

16 marla May 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Valerie, it is so nice to hear you relive your memories from when your girls were in grade school. I bet you packed the best lunches :)

17 Erika - In Erika's Kitchen May 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

I started packing my kids’ lunches two years ago because, while the hot lunch at our school is very good, the portions were way too big. Now I look forward to rounding up healthy foods for them every day. I put in a lot of leftovers (black beans and brown rice today, for example) and they love those little packages of crispy seaweed – they like that more than chips! Lunch always includes a sandwich or container of leftovers, fruit, veg, and milk. Occasionally I put in dessert, but not every day.

18 Gabbi May 20, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I LOVE the easy lunch box, simply wonderful

19 meara May 21, 2010 at 6:24 am

i bring lunch to the office almost everyday.
i even blog it here http://ihatemylunch.wordpress.com/

20 Cooking with Coley May 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

Your family is lucky to have you! I pack my boyfriend and myself lunches nearly every day as well because not only is it healthier, but eating out in Boston gets expensive! Often we’ll grill lots of chicken on a sunday and make different variations of grilled chicken wraps and salads throughout the week. A favorite is tossing the chicken in buffalo or hot sauce, adding lettuce, onions, avocado and sometimes black beans for a healthy buffalo chicken wrap!

21 Debbie Langley March 13, 2012 at 9:58 pm

My favourite wrap is filled with couscous, roasted butternut and cubes of feta cheese. Yum! More lunchbox ideas at http://thehealthykunchbox.blogspot.com which you might enjoy.

22 STephanie August 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

I pack my girls lunches everyday and would like to try the containers but what I have a question about is temperature for the lunches. Do you put on ice packs for cold lunches or how do you keep hot lunches warm. Example: sending left overs for lunch

23 Online gym December 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I like the Smoked Turkey and Roast Pepper Wrap all of them are easy to make.
I could see this being a really great post for moms that have to get the kids ready in the morning.