Camping 101: Sleepaway Camp Essentials

Campfire: Check

Flashlight: Check

Giggles, Chuckles & Sarcasm: Check

Fresh Mountain Air: Check

Bears, Mountain Lions & Mosquitos: NO thank Goodness

Leaving kids at home with Daddy: PRICELESS

brown bunk houses with birdhouses

and so starts the weekend spent at the first ever Camp Blogaway in the beautiful San Bernardino mountains in Southern California.  What a weekend it was.  Simply fabulous.  It was created by our fearless leader Patti Londre. I think from the sound of things this might become a yearly event.  From the moment we arrived Friday afternoon we were entertained with workshops, seminars, social networking, s’mores and laughter.

Entrance to camp in San Bernardino mountains

We learned a ton (and went neck to neck) with PR folks.  We built silly frosted cakes as an “ice breaker” activity.  We enjoyed a camera seminar by Art Ramirez.  We learned from one of the best food stylists Denise Vivaldo.  Danny Jauregui of Food Bloggers Unite gave a wonderful SEO presentation.  Patti gave a great talk on running our blogs like true businesses.  We learned recipe writing from Barbara Gibbs Ostmann, who co-authored The Recipe Writer’s Handbook. For more on the great line up of speakers, topics and activities please click HERE.

cake decorating at Camp Blogaway

It was wonderful to make new friends and see old ones.  Funny how “old” friends are people I have known under a year.  Our relationships get stronger each time we see each other, even when we have face time just once or a few times a year.  Our time spent online, checking out each others blogs, stumbling, tweeting and cheering each other on is a friendship promise I will treasure and keep.

Food Bloggers

I had so much fun with my bunkmates, Rachael: La Fuji Mama and Kate: Savour-Fare

I loved catching up with my pals Anne-Marie: This Mama Cooks, Erika: In Erika’s Kitchen, Josie: Daydreamer Desserts, Diane: Created by Diane, Cristina: Teenie Cakes

Awesome to meet some great new friends in person, Robyn Webb, Greg: Sippity Sup, Pamela: My Mans Belly, Casey: Tastestopping, Vanessa: Chef Druck, Laura: Dove Concepts and the lovely massage therapist Dawn.

I had a chance to connect with most of the campers, and enjoyed all of our conversations.  For a full list of the dynamic group click HERE.

Guess what?  I won a very neat award.

All campers from sleepaway camp Don’t forget to enter my Easy LunchBox giveaway
Contest closes this Saturday, May 22nd.

1 Rosa May 20, 2010 at 12:49 am

Have a great time there!

2 Brandie @ Homemade Living May 20, 2010 at 1:38 am

It looks like it was so much fun! I think I need to make this a priority the next time around. :)

3 Faith May 20, 2010 at 3:51 am

What a fun weekend away! I love the marshmallows for your little campers — you’re such a sweet mama! Congrats on your athletic award!

4 Joanne May 20, 2010 at 4:32 am

This sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun! SO many of my favorite people all in one place!

5 FoodFitnessFreshair May 20, 2010 at 5:23 am

This sounds like so much fun! I love camping, and have always wanted to participate in a blogger meet-up. Yay for the athlete award! It’s great you fit in all that fitness with those adorable kids of yours!

6 Daydreamer Desserts May 20, 2010 at 6:19 am

Had a great time @ Camp Blogaway, I’m so glad we were able to connect this weekend. You have a new Family Fresh Cooking fan! :)

7 Patti at Camp Blogaway May 20, 2010 at 8:41 am

Marla, you were definitely a BIG influence on our camp weekend. This post is fan-tab-ulous, good job camper!

8 Jen @ How To: Simplify May 20, 2010 at 9:40 am

Wow, it looks like you had a fabulous time! What a great way for foodies to get together and share their love for food!

9 Erika - In Erika's Kitchen May 20, 2010 at 9:52 am

I’m so glad we got to hang out at Camp – next year you have to teach me to do pushups (I hear you’re the pushup queen!).

10 Noelle May 20, 2010 at 10:58 am

I hope to go to something like this in the future. Looks like TONS of fun!

11 A Canadian Foodie May 20, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Marla! What fun, what wonderful fun! I need to be living in a more densely populated area. There are just not enough of us up here to do this… or are there? Hmmmm…
I loved seeing your snacks. I would have been very surprised if you had dived in to all of that junk food in the first couple of shots.
Thank you so much for sharing!
PS – how much lead time did you have on this. When did everyone find out about it? I may do something like this here…
Valerie

12 grace May 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

barney butter! hooray! this looks like a really, honest-to-goodness fun time. :)

13 Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} May 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm

What a fantastic recap of the weekend. Glad to be one of your pals! Learned lots and have great memories :)

14 Esi May 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm

So glad you had a great weekend! Looking forward to seeing you soon :)

15 Kate @ Savour Fare May 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Such a fun weekend! I’m bummed I felt bad, and I think we should totally do it again, only without the camping part!

16 Cristina - TeenieCakes May 20, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I was having a hard time breathing up there and you were working out!! =)

Great recap of a very educational and productive weekend, Marla. It was great to see you at Camp and I appreciated your questions during the PR Panel discussions. You put me to shame bringing up your own healthy meals.

I wanna hear about the Blogher Food Conference since you scored with a valuable ticket! Keep in touch!

17 sippitysup May 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

What a terrific way to recap a terrific weekend. Meeting you was one of the highlights for me. GREG

18 Chris May 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

Here via Greg’s tweet. You campers make me so envious!

Glad ya’ll had such a great time.

19 sweetlife May 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm

sounds like you had a great time..love all the pics..congrats on your award..

sweetlife

20 Dorothy May 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Camp Blogaway — and YOU — were rockin’ good fun!