Mango Applesauce

by Marla on May 21, 2010 · 26 comments

A delicious fresh homemade applesauce

Applesauce thrills me. Yes it does. It’s right up there with some of my all time favorite “go-to” sweet treats. I know you are probably thinking “What the heck is she talking about?” How about apple pie, layer cake, cookies, ooey gooey chocolate croissants? Of course I love all that stuff. Can I eat those sweets everyday? Um no. I guess I could, but I am not gonna. Can I eat this daily? Yes and with great joy.

Homemade applesauce

I love experimenting with different fruity combinations. My kids love my homemade applesauce too (thank goodness!) I suggest trying to make your own applesauce from scratch. Make a Big Batch, it’ll last a long time. Enjoy it at home or toss some in the daily lunch boxes.

Homemade mango applesauce

As long as you have a bunch of fresh apples and other fruit (not necessary, but fun), a pot, water and a blender you are in business. Speaking of business, I should start canning this stuff. Think i’ll market it as “Liquid Gold.”

Homemade Mango Applesauce

Makes 8-10 servings. Assuming about 4 oz (1/2 cup) per person.

NOTES:

INGREDIENTS

• 2 1/2 pounds Apples, cleaned, cored and cut into chunky pieces, keep the skins on (Granny Smith, Pink Lady & Fuji’s are my favorite)
  • 2 Mangos, cleaned and pitted, skin removed and cut into chunky pieces (You can use frozen Mango too)
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • a squirt of Lemon Juice
  • 1 cup Water

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS

Sweeteners: You can add extra sweetness to your applesauce or just leave it alone. A lot of sweetness will be determined up front depending upon what kind of apples you choose and how ripe your mango is. From sweet Pink Lady’s to tart Granny Smith’s, what you work with will determine the overall sweetness. You can use a few different types of apples too. Just taste your applesauce when it is done cooking to see how much more sweeteness you want to add.

• Stevia Drops or Powder
  • Maple Syrup
  • Agave
  • Raw Brown Sugar
  • Sucanat
  • Raw Honey

METHOD

In a medium saucepan combine apples, mangos, water, lemon juice and vanilla. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer applesauce for about a 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally. Let applesauce cool for a few minutes. With ladle put applesauce in blender or food processor. Puree until desired consistency is reached. Add more water if needed.

Print This Recipe...

Family Fresh Cooking Applesauce Recipe Links

Saucy Mango Desserts

1 Esi May 21, 2010 at 10:59 am

Great combination!

2 5 Star Foodie May 21, 2010 at 11:09 am

The combo of apples and mango sounds so good! This is wonderful!

3 Jessica @ How Sweet May 21, 2010 at 11:43 am

What a brilliant, delicious combo! Yum!

4 Rosa May 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Lovely, healthy and so easy to make!

5 FoodFitnessFreshair May 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I love making homemade applesauce when my fresh apples come in season. Since mangos are coming in, I’ll have to try this. Once I tried homemade applesauce, I swear I’d never buy it at the store again!

6 Jennifer @ maple n cornbread May 21, 2010 at 1:34 pm

This is genius!! I love the idea of mixing fresh summer fruits into the applesauce!

7 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom May 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Amazing recipe. Every time we visit my parents in CT, the first thing my boys go for is her amazing applesauce. I love how you added mango to your recipe. Question: Do you peel the apples or cook them w/ the skin on?

8 marla May 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Great question, I cook the apples with the skin on. More nutrients, fiber and flavor!

9 Mary May 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm

What a lovely recipe. I really will have to try this. This is my first visit to your blog. I had planned only to say hello and then move on. I started reading your prior posts and stayed far longer than I intended. I love your recipes and the tone of your posts. I’ll be back as often as is possible. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

10 Joanne May 22, 2010 at 4:04 am

My roommate and I have started making homemade applesauce and it is so much better than the storebought kinds. I’m going to have to tell her about this spin on it because we are also mango addicts! Great recipe Marla!

11 grace May 22, 2010 at 5:24 am

very enticing combo, marla! happley ever after indeed. :)

12 Raina at The Garden of Yum May 22, 2010 at 5:56 am

This looks delicious. I love that it is a healthy snack. I am trying really hard to eat healthier. You wound never know it by my blog, though. Congratulations on your blog award. That is one you should be very proud of.

13 heavenly Housewife May 22, 2010 at 12:17 pm

What a wonderful twist on an old favourite. I have made my own apple sauce once before and it came out amazing. Cant wait for the apples to grow on my trees this year, there will be major apple sauce to come :)
Have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH

14 Evie May 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm

My family loves applesauce – can’t wait to try this!

15 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Marla what a great looking recipe…yum! Hope you’re having a super weekend w/ the family!
xoxo

16 sophia May 23, 2010 at 3:47 am

I think it SHOULD be called Liquid Gold. It sounds AMAZING. And the fact that it’s so healthy and chock-full of nutrients make it even more appealing. And what can possibly be bad with MANGOES?

17 Amanda May 23, 2010 at 7:32 am

Oh my! I am a mango fanatic, and I love apples, I bet this is amazing!

18 peachkins May 23, 2010 at 7:51 am

Applesauce with a twist of mango! Genius!

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

19 Faith May 23, 2010 at 9:52 am

Applesauce is a great sweet treat to have on hand! I’ve made it with mixed berries before but I never thought to add mango…great idea, Marla!

20 sweetlife May 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

tasty , healthy and yummy…great combo, love the recipe

sweetlife

21 A Canadian Foodie May 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I love these kinds of concoctions – so healthy, delicious and nutritious – and economical, really – as I find I am oftn using food on the edge of fresh – but still very flavourful – and make many things hot and cold. That ‘s what i love about my Thermomix!
Thanks for the great reminder – and recipe!
Valerie

22 caronae May 23, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Oooo creative! Me likes. I love your presentation of it too. My mom made (and still makes) the best homemade applesauce in the world in fall and winter. I love her for it, so very much. It is hot and chunky and cinnamony. I should make my own sometime…And then I should make yours too of course! Apples and mangos are two of my very favorite fruits. Nom nom nom.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

23 Liz@Cafe Liz May 28, 2010 at 8:56 am

What an interesting idea! I don’t eat much applesauce, but I’m always looking for creative ways to eat more mango.

24 camping propane stove June 6, 2010 at 8:02 am

At first applesuace and mango didn’t sound too good to me, but I tried it and now I am amazed. I used Winesap apples because of it tartness along with a little bit of lime juice and it came out fabulous.

25 Baking Serendipity June 18, 2010 at 2:34 pm

What a great combination of flavors! I love the other applesauce recipes on your site as well :)