I have to admit I am not really a rice kind a gal. I prefer a giant piece of protein with heaps of fresh veggies. That said, with lots of goodies thrown this grain is a whole lot more tempting for me. In this recipe I take a bunch of my favorite ingredients, coconut, cinnamon, pecans and raisins and added them to a fragrant combo of Jasmine and Brown Basmati rice.
This medley of flavors and textures combines together and makes a total party in your mouth. Toasting your pecans first in the coconut oil & spices adds great crunch and a profound flavor.
This recipe would go great in your lunch box too, it can be served at any temperature.
Nutty Coconut Rice with Golden Raisins & Pecans
Makes 6-8 servings
- 3 cups cooked Brown Basmati or Brown Jasmine Rice (I used 1/2 of each)
- a few cloves of chopped Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Unsalted Pecans
- 1/2 cup Golden Raisins
- a few pinches of Cinnamon, Black Pepper and Curry Powder
- 1/2 cup toasted Unsweetened Coconut Flake
- Salt to taste
Optional: Garnish with fresh chopped Cilantro or Italian Parsley and additional raisins, pecans and coconut.
Rice: Cook rice according to package directions. In a large sauté pan heat up coconut oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook until slightly softened (a minute or so) Add spices and pecans. Cook them for a few minutes until nuts are a bit browned and mixture is fragrant. Watch that the nuts don’t burn. Add rice to sauté pan. Stir and coat throughly with nuts & spices. Cook for a few minutes until everything is heated through. Stir in toasted coconut at the end.
Toasted Coconut Flake: You don’t have to toast the coconut for this recipe, but it adds so much more flavor if you do.
Pre heat oven to 325˚F with the rack in the middle. Lay coconut flake in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until the desired level of toasting is achieved. Toss once for even browning. Watch it carefully, once it starts browning it goes quick from light to dark. Remove baking sheet from oven and let coconut cool.
Rice Recipe Links
- Kitchari: Rice and Lentils Family Fresh Cooking
- Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad Oh She Glows
- Sri Lankan Rice with Cilantro and Lemongrass Girl Cooks World
- Stir Fried Rice Vegan Style Pea Soup Eats
- White and Yellow Rice An Edible Mosaic