Nutty Coconut Rice with Golden Raisins & Pecans

by Marla on May 24, 2010 · 25 comments

A great side dish for family meals and entertaining. I have to admit I am not really a rice kind a gal. I prefer a giant piece of protein with heaps of fresh veggies. That said, with lots of goodies thrown this grain is a whole lot more tempting for me. In this recipe I take a bunch of my favorite ingredients, coconut, cinnamon, pecans and raisins and added them to a fragrant combo of Jasmine and Brown Basmati rice.

Pecan Coconut Rice with veggies and protein

This medley of flavors and textures combines together and makes a total party in your mouth.  Toasting your pecans first in the coconut oil & spices adds great crunch and a profound flavor.

This recipe would go great in your lunch box too, it can be served at any temperature.

A great side dish with whole grains.

Nutty Coconut Rice with Golden Raisins & Pecans

Makes 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS

Optional: Garnish with fresh chopped Cilantro or Italian Parsley and additional raisins, pecans and coconut.

METHOD

Rice: Cook rice according to package directions. In a large sauté pan heat up coconut oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook until slightly softened (a minute or so) Add spices and pecans.  Cook them for a few minutes until nuts are a bit browned and mixture is fragrant.  Watch that the nuts don’t burn. Add rice to sauté pan. Stir and coat throughly with nuts & spices. Cook for a few minutes until everything is heated through. Stir in toasted coconut at the end.

Toasted Coconut Flake: You don’t have to toast the coconut for this recipe, but it adds so much more flavor if you do.

Pre heat oven to 325˚F with the rack in the middle. Lay coconut flake in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until the desired level of toasting is achieved. Toss once for even browning. Watch it carefully, once it starts browning it goes quick from light to dark. Remove baking sheet from oven and let coconut cool.

Print This Recipe...

Rice Recipe Links

1 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Tasty flavor combos! I like my rice with goodies added into it too. It’s that extra something that makes it over the top.

Wanna join in my 100 push up challenge? I think it’s something you’d be into girl.

2 marla May 24, 2010 at 1:20 pm

100 push up challenge, I am so on it Heather. I’ll stop by your blog to check it out. xo

3 Sara May 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Marla for the recipe! I’m looking for vegeterian recipes to make for my family this week! Trying to go meatless this week! :)

4 Maria May 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I am loving that rice. The roasted broccoli is calling my name too! Great photos my friend!

5 Rosa May 24, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I love flavored rice! That is one wonderful recipe!

6 Juliana May 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Marla, such a nice rice dish…so tasty with all the ingredients in it, specially raisin and coconut flakes…nice pictures as well :-)

7 Nicole, RD May 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I threw a small tantrum in my head because my hubby doesn’t like coconut…but I could 1/2 this and eat it throughout the week. I think I’ll HAVE to…looks too good not to!!

8 FoodFitnessFreshair May 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! It sounds really delicious. Like you, I often forgo plain brown rice for some protein and veggies, but I really do enjoy rice when it’s spiced up.

9 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 24, 2010 at 7:32 pm

pretty much a perfect flavor pairing!

when life is settled, mid/later june, or early july, you better believe we are meeting up :)

10 theUngourmet May 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I can almost smell this cooking. Yum! It looks beautiful, in fact, the whole meal looks just fantastic!

11 christine May 24, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. This is awesome Nutty Coconut Rice with golden Raisin and Pecans. You see, we have this food site Foodista.com http://www.foodista.com) that is a food and cooking encyclopedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques. Don’t hesitate to check us out. I hope to see you there.

Cheers!

12 grace May 25, 2010 at 5:18 am

i’m not too crazy about rice, either, but dang–this looks great! i love the things you’ve added to spruce up the boring little suckers, especially the coconut. congrats for making rice appealing!

13 shelly (cookies and cups) May 25, 2010 at 5:34 am

This is beautiful and yummy looking! Food that is right up my alley!

14 sophia May 25, 2010 at 8:24 am

I am not only NOT a “rice kind of girl”…I downright DETEST it. But I will eat rice that has been vamped up, such as this lovely concoction! VERY happy food indeed!

15 sweetlife May 25, 2010 at 9:29 am

I love rice with the extras, makes your weekday meals seem more festive and the options are endless, great recipe

sweetlife

16 sippitysup May 25, 2010 at 10:41 am

Stunning! I love the attention to detail on those garnishes! GREG

17 A Canadian Foodie May 25, 2010 at 11:47 am

This looks like a very good for you meal, but a bit too sweet for me. I am still not into too much sweetness with my savory foods. Even though, clearly it is all natural goodness. Certainly a labour of love for your family!
Valerie

18 Cara May 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I am more of a protein and veggie girl myself… but I can’t lie, it’s because I have to avoid carbs or else I’ll gobble them all up! Like this rice dish, it sounds incredible :)

19 Cara May 25, 2010 at 1:56 pm

another thought: I would definitely bring this to a summer barbecue for something deliciously different :)

20 Faith May 25, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Coconutty rice is delicious! I love how you added the flaked coconut on top too. The pecans are a great touch, they go so well with the nutty brown rice!

21 Katherine May 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

you put anything I could possibly make to shame. looks great!
Katherine

22 Cooking with Coley May 25, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Another gorgeous plate! This looks excellent (I think the addition of pecans won me over!). Although I prefer to stick with protein and veggies like yourself, I often succumb to carb cravings plus they also help to fill me. I’ll need to try this out.

23 Joanne May 26, 2010 at 3:56 am

I always prefer pasta to rice as my carb of choice (although I’m with you on the pile of veggies…if I could I would really just serve everything in a kabocha squash bowl…kind of like a bread bowl but with way more Vitamin A) but this rice has definite appeal! I’m a sucker for anything with coconuts and cinnamon. How delicious!

24 FOODESSA May 26, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I admit to somewhat avoiding raisins in my meals…love them otherwise.
This dish seems to have a great blend of ingredients. Look forward to experimenting with your recipe. I prefer the gluten-free brown basmati to accompany this lovely meal.
Thank you for sharing and flavourful wishes, Claudia