Memorial Day 2010: Food for Summer

by Marla on May 29, 2010 · 17 comments

Girl outside flower shop

I keep telling my self stay away from the computer.  Take some time off, RELAX.  You know what?  This is relaxing for me.  Talking about food, photographing, writing recipes and sharing it with you is super fun.  With Memorial day weekend comes the beginning of summer.  I hope you have a great long weekend with your love ones, family and friends.  We don’t have much planned which is nice.  My friend is hosting a lovely beach BBQ on Monday.  I will be bringing a giant salad, my go-to choice for potlucks and outdoor entertaining.

Let’s not forget the reason we have this long weekend, to remember and pay respect to those we have lost while actively serving in the US military.

I have put together a bunch of healthy & very tasty recipe selections you might want to share with your family and guests this weekend.  Not only will you feel great when you create these high energy foods, you won’t spend too much time in the kitchen.  My recipes are quick and simple with minimal prep & cook time.  That gives you more time for YOU!!

Have a great one and please, don’t forget to relax.

Let’s go from sweet to savory……..

A little something sweet, Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies always make us happy!

Fall flavors in a cookie.

Gluten Free Flourless Maple Peanut Butter Cookiesare yummy too!

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies

Have a Matcha Green Tea Yogurt Parfait for a Mini Meal or dessert

Creamy greek yogurt layered with flaxseed.

A fresh veggie salad, try this Chopped Broccoli Salad with Tahini Soy Dressing.

Chopped salad with tahini dressing.

Bison Bacon Burgers on the Grill

A picnic kinda fish: Coconut Almond Crusted Tilapia

Cheesy roasted asparagus with delicious fish.

These are baked, crispy and light! Skinny Almond Crusted Chicken strips

Baked crispy chicken

Here’s a few sides: Skinny Mini Baked Potatoes

A healthy baked potato

Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Herbed Olive Oil

A fun party pasta: Fiesta Pasta with Avocado, Feta, Salsa and Pepitas

whole wheat pasta dish, healthy and light meal

You can quickly cook up a batch of Egg Battered Grilled Cheese for hungry guests.

Healthy grilled cheese

A little Crunch and Munch:Crispy Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas

A baked chickpea snack

And finally you will need something wash it all down.  How about some Skinny Citrus Fizz Soda?

Homemade soda with citrus, stevia and fizzy water

What are your plans for the long weekend?  What are you cooking up?  Browse through my recipes menu to find more fun food for entertaining.  Have a wonderful weekend! xo

1 Rosa May 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Awesome food! I’m drooling!

2 Rosa May 30, 2010 at 1:08 am

Awesome food! I’m drooling!

BTW I love your blog!

3 grace May 30, 2010 at 4:54 am

superstar! what a cute kiddo. :) and yes, the food selections are awesome–i hope i’m eating some similarly tasty stuff.

4 Joanne May 30, 2010 at 5:02 am

I find blogging to be totally relaxing also! It helps me decompress.

Have a great holiday weekend! All of this food looks amazing!

5 Judy May 30, 2010 at 8:17 am

You have some really great food there, but what I really love is your red and blue lettering and your darling (daughter?) dressed for the holiday. Very sweet.

6 angie May 30, 2010 at 11:44 am

Looks so good! Can you bring all of that to the party on Monday! No…..OK….My mouth will be watering, waiting for that delicious big green salad!

7 Faith May 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I’m glad you’re having a relaxing weekend…I agree, blogging is relaxing for me too. ;) What a gorgeous round-up of healthy and delicious foods…I’m putting sweet potato chocolate chip cookies on my “to make” list ASAP! :)

8 tasteofbeirut May 30, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I wish you and your family a wonderful relaxing weekend!

9 Megan May 30, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Everything looks delicious and I love the bowl of fresh tomatos. Have a wonderful weekend!

10 FoodFitnessFreshair May 30, 2010 at 6:23 pm

That’s a priceless picture! Those sweet potato cookies sound interesting. I have yet to use sweet potatoes in baking. Will have to give this a try!

11 sophia May 31, 2010 at 6:13 am

Blogging and looking at yummy pictures…that is NOT work! It’s total leisure for me, too. That was why I could still document my travels in HK. At the end of the day, I just wanted to blog!
Every single dish sounds and look freaking amazing. You’ve got quite a great collection here!

12 A Canadian Foodie May 31, 2010 at 10:48 am

That first photo must be entered into a contest. It is definitely professional and will win whatever contest you put it into. OUTSTANDING!
Loved all of the ideas and a brilliant idea for a post. A reminder of what you have done that would be great to make – and for me… who has not read you since day one, a great intro into things not seen… like the sweet potato cookies. A perfect recipe – again – for my students to test out at school.
Thanks, Marla!
Valerie

13 Raina at The Garden of Yum May 31, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Wow! Great recipes! Healthy and delicious. Thanks for sharing:)

14 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom May 31, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Your daughter is so cute. I love that photo. And your recipe selection looks delicious … especially those sweet potato cookies !

15 rebecca June 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I am loving the photos, the colors, the creativity and …..I am seriously drooling! I have to try that Tilapia with coconut and almonds. YUMMY!

16 Cooking with Coley June 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Your daughter is adorable! Sounds like you had a great weekend!