Quick Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Marla on June 1, 2010 · 35 comments

Chocolate Chip cookies on red table cloth

Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? I have never met anyone who does not. In this recipe I bring you a simple, quick and easy recipe to make gluten free cookies. Sometimes we do not have lots of time on our hands to bake. Since this recipe uses bread instead of flour you can get the job done quick. There is virtually no measuring involved.

Fresh from the oven 4 ingredient gluten free cookies.

The other day I was hanging out with my friend Momfluential. She is a super neat gal with a lot to say.  When she talks I listen.   After all she is a mom to 4 young kids & she’s got great influence, hence her name Momfluential.  She knows stuff, lots of stuff and she’s got great taste.   We were chit chatting at the gym (aka our office, thank goodness for wi-fi and Kid’s World.)

She said she loved the idea of my Skinny Chocolate Drop Cookies, however she needed something gluten free.She asked if I could come up with a gluten free version of the Chocolate Chip Cookie.  Momfluential wanted me to keep it simple, again using my secret ingredient: bread.   “But of course” I said with conviction and excitement.  Straight after my workout I ran to Mother’s Market .

Warm and gooey chocolate chip cookies. A note on Gluten Free:  We do not have gluten intolerance in my house but I am curious about all types of health related cooking.  I am always on the quest for high energy ingredients that taste fantastic and make us look great and feel amazing.

Parenting OC magazine just published an article featuring Family Fresh Cooking “The Blogging Queens and my Skinny Chocolate Drop Cookies. Thanks guys!

Quick Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes 12 cookies. Adjust ingredients with same proportions to make more or less cookies

NOTES

• I set up a Gluten Free section on my Amazon Store, you can get the EnerG gluten free bread over there.
  • Stevia: I use stevia powder to sweeten most of our baked goods. Stevia is used in a much smaller ratio than other sweeteners.
  • Store your Chocolate Chip Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for a few days.  Warm them in the toaster oven or under a low broiler to crisp them up and get texture back and make ‘em gooey.
  • These cookies bake up to be doughy in texture.

INGREDIENTS

10 slices Gluten Free bread, roughly 10 ounces by weight (I used EnerG’s High Fiber Loaf)
3 Eggs, whisked to combine
Vanilla stevia drops, about 2 full droppers or Stevia Powder to taste
4 oz Chocolate Chips (I love great quality bittersweet or semi sweet chips)

METHOD

Preheat oven to 350˚F with rack in the middle. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper, cooking spray or a Silpat liner. Pulse bread in food processor and and grind until fine bread crumb texture, transfer to a large bowl. Whisk eggs together with stevia in a separate bowl. Add eggs to bread crumbs mixture and press dough together with fingers. Taste mixture and sweeten more if needed. Stir in chocolate chips. Form dough into flattened cookie shapes.  They won’t change shape much while baking. Bake for  about 15 minutes, until cookies are golden brown on the bottom. Once cookies have cooled a bit put them on racks.

Print This Recipe...

Optional Add ins

It is always fun to toss a handful of this and that into a batch of homemade cookies, here are a few ideas.

• a pinch of cinnamon, ginger or pumpkin pie spice
  • A handful of chopped, toasted nuts
  • A handful of unsweetened coconut flake
  • sunflower seeds

Gluten Free Cookie Recipe Links

1 Lori @ RecipeGirl June 1, 2010 at 6:30 am

You’re a genius. I wouldn’t even know where to begin with this gluten free stuff! I’d love to give them a taste :)

2 Jessica @ How Sweet June 1, 2010 at 7:36 am

Bread?! I am amazed! You really are brilliant in the kitchen. :)

3 Cathy June 1, 2010 at 7:42 am

Have to admit, I am very curious about baking with bread! Sounds really great. Also, are the chocolate chips stirred in at the same time as the bread crumbs? Didn’t see it listed in the recipe? :)

4 marla June 1, 2010 at 8:43 am

Thank goodness for diligent readers that are also great editors!! Go ahead and add in the chocolate chips after you incorporate the bread crumbs, sweetener and egg.

5 Nicole, RD June 1, 2010 at 8:01 am

Cookies from gluten-free bread!?? How fun and smart!!! I love it! They sound (and look!) amazing, too!

6 Rosa June 1, 2010 at 8:02 am

Those cookies look good! I don’t know much about gluten-free baking, though…

7 Ally @ Sweet & Savory June 1, 2010 at 8:23 am

I make gluten free cookies all the time…started b/c my mother-in-law has celiac, but now we love them just the same and are so easy!

1 c. peanut butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
chocolate chips

That’s it! Just mix and bake!

8 sippitysup June 1, 2010 at 9:38 am

These look so decadent. But I know you so I am sure that they are a great and healthy treat! GREG

9 Jenny Flake June 1, 2010 at 10:02 am

oooooeeee girl, these are so beautiful! I gotta try them! Love your photos :)

10 Tammy June 1, 2010 at 10:55 am

Cynthia from Wrapadoo.com sent me to you. My daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac. I’ve yet to venture into the homemade baked goods for her but these sound easy enough. Any idea how many carbs are in each cookie?

11 marla June 1, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Tammy, I am not sure how many calories are in these. I will guesstimate about 100 calories or so per cookie. Perhaps you can use an unsweetened chocolate chip for your daughter and a bit more stevia for sweetness. I am hoping someone comes out with a stevia sweetened chocolate chip sometime soon.

12 A Canadian Foodie June 1, 2010 at 11:19 am

Congratulations on the article, Marla! Like you, I am interested in all kinds of healthy eating – and gluten free particularly because I sell Thermomix machines – and those with gluten intolerance have to pay 5-7 dollars a loaf – so, though the Thermomix is expensive, it saves a huge amount of money for these people over time, as it grinds and mills the gluten free flours and kneads the bread, too.
Also, I do have students that need these alternate recipes. I will definitely be making these.
Valerie

13 FoodFitnessFreshair June 1, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Bread as the base of cookies…very innovative! I just made chocolate chip cookies last night, and I think they came out too sweet. I guess my taste buds are changing. I’m going to have to play around with my original recipe too. Gluten free might be a fun option!

14 grace June 1, 2010 at 1:53 pm

what!!! this is amazing! i have a cousin who just realized that he’s intolerant to gluten, and these would be perfect–thanks.

15 Juliana June 1, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Chocolate chip cookies made of bread? Fantastic…and they sure look delicious…very creative :-)

16 Sonia June 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Chocolate chips with bread crumbs? Nice idea and easy recipe, Marla. Cookies looks so good and tempting! Neat photography. :)

17 Esi June 1, 2010 at 8:43 pm

You’re so creative! I am excited to try some gluten free baking soon.

18 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Fantastic idea! I’ve been spending time with my aunt who’s gluten intolerant so I’ll have to forward this onto her. I’d make a batch but I have no gluten free bread on hand :(

19 Gourmande June 2, 2010 at 5:23 am

Great idea. I have no gluten problem either, but the recipe can be used to recycle all type of bread or biscuit crumbs.

20 heavenly Housewife June 2, 2010 at 7:26 am

What beautiful cookies, it is hard to believe these are gluten free!
Love the picture, the chocolate chips look so heavenly!
*kisses* HH

21 5 Star Foodie June 2, 2010 at 8:03 am

An excellent idea, scrumptious cookies!

22 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 2, 2010 at 9:47 am

hi friend, cant wait to meet you too
cookies look great, life..slammed…beyond words!
xoxo

23 roxan June 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Marla these cookies look delicious. I just finished my lunch and could totally have one (or five!) for dessert.

24 FOODESSA June 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I am not a celiac…however, I do have a uncomfortable intolerance towards gluten. I’m always interested in recipes that work well. I’m willing to try this. For myself personally…I’ll skip the Stevia…I just can’t stomach the stuff…I had a bad experience and it remained stuck in my mind. I’ll use agave nectar instead.
Marla, thank you for paying attention to someone else’s needs and discovering new recipes that can be better for our health in the long run.
Flavourful wishes, Claudia

25 Faith June 3, 2010 at 4:00 am

Wow Marla, you’re absoluetely brilliant! I would never have thought to use gluten-free bread! I am a real chocolate chip cookie lover and these look perfect to me…I’m definitely making them next time a craving hits. ;)

26 Angie June 3, 2010 at 5:44 am

These look so great, gluten free seems really hard to accomplish, but this one looks easy. I love those NuNaturals products too. Yummy!

27 sweetlife June 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Marla , you genius you…great cookies, the pic has me drooling, should I make dinner or make these cookies, such tough decisions…

sweetlife

28 Joanne June 3, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I love trying to cook for different diets as well, even if I don’t necessarily restrict myself to them…gluten-free, vegan, whatever! You never know who will show up for dinner. These cookies look delicious!

29 The Duo Dishes June 3, 2010 at 4:06 pm

This is really interesting. Neither one of us has gluten issues, but like you, it’s good to know different ways to make all kinds of treats.

30 Sophie June 5, 2010 at 9:12 am

These gluten free chocolate chip cookies are very intersting & are looking quite fab!

Recently, I am on a gluten free diet & I have more energy, & I feel a lot better. I am not a celiac patient but only sensitive to gluten. I love these cookies!!!

31 Cookin' Canuck January 31, 2011 at 5:44 am

Bread, huh? Now I’m intrigued! I clicked on “Blogging Queens” to read the feature (congratulations!), but the link wasn’t working. I would love to read it!

32 Jenny Flake January 31, 2011 at 6:08 am

I am a sucker for ANY chocolate chip cookie, no doubt you created a knock out Gluten Free one! Yum!

33 Heather January 31, 2011 at 7:49 am

Brilliant! I love learning about alternative foods. So many
are struggling with dietary challenges these days. I’m sure you are
a godsend to them – hooray for GF chocolate chip cookies!

34 Shaina January 31, 2011 at 8:23 am

Yum! Very creative!

35 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking January 31, 2011 at 8:24 am

Oh Marla, these look amazing! So soft and flavorful and
definitely not healthy, ha! You always make eating right look so
wrong. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. Have a great