Greek Salad with Sundried Tomatoes, Feta and Olives

by Marla on June 3, 2010 · 34 comments

Feta topped greek salad.

With so many summer celebrations coming up we will all most likely be attending some fun BBQ’s, beach parties, picnics and all kinds of outdoor celebrations.  Memorial Day just flew by, July 4th follows and loads of folks will be doing a lot of outdoor entertaining. Whenever there is a potluck I bring a huge salad.  No matter what is on the menu a fresh salad is something everyone will eat.  A salad also balances out the heaviness of traditional party food.

Big greek salads for picnics, parties and BBQ's

When I bring a salad to a party I always like to chop my veggies into small, bite sized pieces.  This makes it much easier for people to eat & socialize without having to worry about using a knife to cut large pieces.  Sometimes we end up eating standing up in casual party situations with one hand balancing a plate and the other holding a fork.  Make it as easy as you can on your guests.

California coast beach with 6 girl friends.

Recently I went to a beach potluck with some foodie blogging friends.  It was a relaxing day spent at the shores of the Pacific Ocean on the Santa Monica coastline.  It was a  perfectly lazy time spent lollygagging, giggling and downright fun girl talk.  This is the salad that I brought to share.

Chopped vegetable salad for beach picnic.

Greek Salad with Sundried Tomatoes, Feta and Olives

Serves as many as you want it to.  Make a Big Batch for your family or for entertaining.

NOTES:

• Dress salad as needed.  If you are keeping a large salad in the fridge for grab and go meals, your greens will stay fresh as long as you keep oils and dressings off until serving.
  • Note: As far as dressing goes I am a purist.  A twist of pepper, some garlic salt and a splash of lemon juice and olive oil make me happy.  So does a heap of salsa scooped on top.  The feta cheese gives me enough fat to keep me satisfied.  If you have a favorite dressing or vinaigrette feel free to use it.

INGREDIENTS

• Organic Salad Greens or Baby Spinach Leaves
  • a few handfuls diced Bell Peppers, use a variety of colors
  • a few handfuls Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
  • a few handfuls sliced Mushrooms
  • a handful of fresh chopped Dill
  • a handful of Italian Parsley
  • a few handfuls of crumbled Feta Cheese
  • a few handfuls of sliced pitted Kalamata Olives
  • a handful Green Onion
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced Sundried Tomatoes, drain oil or use reconstituted dried ones.
  • a few pinches of Black Pepper
  • a few pinches of Garlic Salt
  • Salad Dressing of choice or a squeeze of Lemon Juice and Olive Oil

Optional: garnish with additional chopped dill and parsley

METHOD

1. Layer ingredients as listed with the base being the salad greens.  Work with the biggest veggies first and taper off with the sundried tomatoes, olives and cheese last.  Make your salad look gorgeous!
  2. Sprinkle parsley and dill on top.

Print This Recipe...

1 shelly (cookies and cups) June 4, 2010 at 5:55 am

I think this will be my new go-to potluck dish too! Thanks!

2 Jenny Flake June 4, 2010 at 6:08 am

Oh my gosh, this salad looks to die for! What a great Beach picture of you ladies, wish I could have been there!! See you Monday!

3 Amber @ Pampered Recipes June 4, 2010 at 6:34 am

Ok, Okay…I’ll eat my veggies. Better get a V-8!

4 Erika - In Erika's Kitchen June 4, 2010 at 7:15 am

I am so NOT HAPPY that I missed the beach potluck. Still nursing the stupid sore turned ankle that kept me away. The salad looks lovely!

5 Lori @ RecipeGirl June 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

Looks soooo good!! Greek salads are my fave. Looks like you had a fun get-together. Wish I could have been there too! Can’t wait to finally meet you on Monday :)

6 maria June 4, 2010 at 7:32 am

What a fun beach photo. I am jealous:) The salad looks amazing!

7 Lynn @LynnATL June 4, 2010 at 7:50 am

What a great looking salad. Can’t wait for my next BBQ to make your Greek Salad for family and friends. Enjoy the summer.

8 Esi June 4, 2010 at 7:53 am

This salad was great! Perfect for a potluck. I love that photo of us. So cute!! Have a great weekend.

9 Sara June 4, 2010 at 8:20 am

Looks delicious Marla! Great recipe!

10 Rosa June 4, 2010 at 8:20 am

A lovely summery salad! Great giveaway!

cheers,

11 Kathryn June 4, 2010 at 11:47 am

That salad looks incredible! I love feta cheese! Whenever I go to a potluck, I actually bring a green bean salad (with feta cheese, of course) and pinenuts. It’s SO good- you should try it! http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/bean_salad_with_pine_nuts_and_feta.htm

12 Nicole, RD June 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm

ohhh my does that look incredible! I love all the colors! i’ll be making this for outdoor…or indoor get-togethers soon!

13 A Canadian Foodie June 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Gorgeous photos, gorgeous salad, gorgeous gals and a gorgeous day! What fun! You have been getting together with a lot of your blogger pals lately. That is what it is all about! What did the others bring?
valerie

14 FOODESSA June 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I think you can never go wrong with a fresh and tasty all time pleaser like the very appetizing platter you prepared.
The real bonus is that you used the best garnish…Italian parsley…to embellish the greeks LOL
Hope you enjoyed your day at the beach.
Flavourful wishes, Claudia

15 FoodFitnessFreshair June 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm

What a beautiful salad! As usual the beach is quite gorgeous too. The beauty in that salad would look super nice on the plate as a side dish!

16 George Geary June 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm

So glad you enjoyed my book…..

George

17 best cook June 4, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Thank you for sharing this great greek salad recipe. It is my favorite greek salad !

18 grace June 5, 2010 at 1:39 am

this is perfect picnic fare! sundried tomatoes are very near and dear to my belly, as are most of the rest of the flavors of greek cuisine–this is great!

19 Joanne June 5, 2010 at 4:47 am

I think this salad is what I’m going to be bringing to my next outdoor fiesta! I love the sun-dried tomatoes and olives…way to spice it up!

20 Pat June 5, 2010 at 7:53 am

I purchased a copy of George’s cook book recently and I have NOT been disappointed. It contains the most yummy salad dressings and salads. The dressings contain every day used ingredients. If you don’t win this free copy – go out and buy it. It’s an awesome book. He has a cheesecake book as well with my favourite being the savoury ones – again awesome book.

21 marla June 5, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Pat, I am so glad to read you have such a great experience with this book. I too love the variety and accessibility of the ingredients George uses.

22 Sophie June 5, 2010 at 9:10 am

Your Greek salad sings to me!! A very colourful tasty salad!

I so love every flavour in your lovely salad!!

That’s also a lovely picture of your foodblogger friends!

23 theUngourmet June 5, 2010 at 9:46 am

You girls are darling! What a gorgeous day at the beach! I would be all over this delicious salad. Glad you had a relaxing time with dear friends. :)

24 Cherine June 6, 2010 at 8:57 am

What a great refreshing salad!!

25 Faith June 6, 2010 at 10:46 am

I love Greek salad and your version looks so vibrant and pretty! (I love the fresh herbs in there!) Your go-to potluck dish is sure to become my go-to potluck dish as well! :)

26 sophia June 6, 2010 at 11:57 am

Usually I groan when someone offers to bring a salad to a potluck…because inevitably, it’s just some wilted lettuce and tomatoes. But yours is practically a gourmet meal in itself!

27 Sara June 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Love the Greek Salad! All of my favorite ingredients!! Looks like you girls had a nice time at the Beach! :)

28 tasteofbeirut June 6, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I could eat gallons of this salad; nothing else and I would be happy for the rest of my days; I have never tried it with sundried tomatoes though sounds like the taste would be more intense, right?

29 marla June 7, 2010 at 5:32 am

Yes, the taste is more intense with the sun dried tomatoes. Nice though, because you do not feel the need for a heavy dressing.

30 judy meridith June 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Marla, this makes me hungry for a salad. It looks delicious, think I am going to try it. Judy

31 marla June 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Hey Judy, thanks for stopping by for a visit! The kids can’t wait to see you. You need to venture out here soon so I can cook for you! xo

32 Cara June 16, 2010 at 5:49 am

I love chopped salads too – they’re the best kind! Love all the fresh colorful veggies.