Omelette with Brie Cheese, Basil and Strawberries

by Marla on June 8, 2010 · 24 comments

Healthy sweet & savory fruit & cheese omelet

I always enjoy unexpected flavor combinations, for example my Chocolate Ginger Truffles with Cacao & Smoked Sea Salt. Another thing I LOVE is protein…..lots of it. I like protein with my protein, my Egg Battered Grilled Cheese is a great example of that. Protein makes us feel great and keeps our energy levels high. We have fewer energy crashes throughout the day when we eat healthy fats mixed with low glycemic carbs and lean proteins. Another one of my BIG secrets to lots of energy? Coffee, lots of it. Love the stuff.

Bright colored omelet with fruit, cheese and basil

Recently my friend Gaby of What’s Gaby Cooking came up with a genius Strawberry Basil Lemonade.  Folks from around the world have been swooning over it.  Her fun flavor combination makes for a great summer cooler with or without the addition of alcohol.  (I don’t drink booze so the alcohol thing doesn’t apply to my world anyway.)

Sweet and savory omelet, great for family and entertaining

The other day I was craving my protein with the interesting flavor combo that Miss Gaby put together.  Instead of liquid form I needed something to chew on.  Savory eggs and cheese mixed with sweet strawberries and fresh basil was what needed to happen.  It did and my taste buds and tummy were very happy indeed.  Thank you Gaby for helping to satisfy my cravings!

Omelette with Brie Cheese, Basil and Strawberries

Serves as many as you want it to.  Ingredients are listed per serving.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 large Egg
  • 2 egg whites or 2 ounces Egg Whites
  • 1 ounce of Brie, break into pieces
  • 4-6 thinly sliced Strawberries
  • handful chopped fresh Basil & a Basil leaf for garnish
  • pinch of Salt & Black Pepper
  • Cooking Spray or a little bit of Butter

METHOD

1. Lightly spray or butter a small sauté pan.  Heat on medium heat. Whisk eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper. When pan is hot add egg mixture.  Let the egg cook through a few minutes, reduce heat if needed.  For directions on how to make the perfect omelet this is a great video from Gourmet online: THE TECHNIQUE: THE MODERN OMELET WITH OLIVIER MULLER
  2. When the omelet is almost cooked & still a bit juicy in the center add the brie, chopped basil and strawberries to one half of the omelet. Cook a few more seconds and then flip the empty side over the fruity cheesy side. Cook about 30 seconds more and gently remove  from pan. Top with basil leaf and additional strawberries if desired.

Print This Recipe...

1 Jessica @ How Sweet June 8, 2010 at 5:25 am

Brie might be my most favorite cheese in an omelet. I just love it! These flavor combos sound delicious together.

2 FoodFitnessFreshair June 8, 2010 at 5:38 am

This sounds like such an interesting flavor combo, as so appealing on the plate! I just saw a recipe the other day that combined strawberries into an omelet. This is something I’ve never thought of doing, but plan on giving a try soon!

3 Lori @ RecipeGirl June 8, 2010 at 5:40 am

This is definitely my kind of breakfast. I always mix egg and egg white too.

SO nice meeting you (finally!) yesterday :)

4 shelly (cookies and cups) June 8, 2010 at 5:59 am

This sounds amazing!

5 Jenny Flake June 8, 2010 at 6:25 am

Oh my gosh, this looks even better than I imagined it to be!! Way to go girl, seriously beautiful!

6 Gaby June 8, 2010 at 6:47 am

holy yum!!!!! I love this idea!! xo

7 Rosa June 8, 2010 at 6:58 am

Mmmmhhh, it looks so fluffy and delicious! That is a very original combination.

8 Esi June 8, 2010 at 8:05 am

Nice way to make a drink into breakfast. Sounds delicious.

9 allison [a for aubergine] June 8, 2010 at 8:34 am

i LOVE omelets! so yummy! i’ve never tried with strawberry and brie; i’m intrigued! thanks for the idea, marla.

10 sippitysup June 8, 2010 at 9:51 am

Strawberries and basil is a great combo, but you have taken this to a whole other level. Beautiful pics too. GREG

11 FOODESSA June 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

What a colorful and well prepared meal.
The ingredients would put a smile on my face for sure.
Can’t wait for fresh basil from the garden. Plenty of ideas there!
Thanks also for sharing your friends lemonade…interesting mix ;o)
Flavourful wishes, Claudia

12 Dorothy from Shockinglydelicious June 8, 2010 at 11:26 am

Holy cow does that every look good!
Brie goes onto the shopping list RIGHT NOW!
Thank you, Marla, for the inspiration.

13 Julia June 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

YUM! I can just imagine the juiciness of the strawberries with the creamy brie! And I love basil in EVERYTHING!

14 Faith June 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Sweet strawberries and fragrant basil are a match made in heaven. I am a huge fan of the sweet/savory combo so I think this would be absolutely amazing! This is my kind of meal. :)

15 Sonia June 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Oh Marla, this time your pics are superb and mind blowing! Your recipe is truly delicious and love the idea of adding strawberry. :)

16 Cherine June 9, 2010 at 12:32 am

This omelet is fantastic. Love the combination of brie and strawberry!!

17 grace June 9, 2010 at 3:25 am

i was recently served a frittata made with caramelized onions and topped with arugula, strawberries, and goat cheese. i was hesitant about that combination, but after the first bite, i was enamored. it’s a great combo, and it’s gorgeous!

18 Heavenly Housewife June 9, 2010 at 5:36 am

I am beyond intrigued by this. I adore eggs and any kind of egg dish. I would never ever think to pair it with strawberries! With the brie and the basil it just sounds incredible.
*kisses* HH

19 A Canadian Foodie June 9, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Marla! You are so sweet! The photographs are better with every post. These ones are particularly spectacular. And your text placement on the plate really looked like the text was actually on the plate. FUN! Then, the flavour combination and your voice in this cheery post really made it fun. No booze, but lots of coffee, eh? (remember, I am Canadian, eh?) And what isn’t wonderful with brie? I can actually taste your combination and though it is extremely unusual, I think you are on to something!
Valerie

20 susan June 10, 2010 at 10:45 am

I am so excited about this beautiful recipe. I am making it with homemade mozerella and raspberries.

21 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 10, 2010 at 11:42 pm

before vegan i was a veg and ate cheese. and there was nothing better than an entire bottle of wine and slab of brie. all for me. so good. now, i dont miss cheese at all but the memories of it are great

sometime in july we must set up a date to meet up! clothes for skylar, that is so sweet to think of us..truly so kind!
xo

22 Joanne June 11, 2010 at 4:29 am

I love the strawberry basil combination…I made a pesto with it not too long ago that was awesome.

And brie. There is nothing I love more than brie. Awesome omelet!

23 Cara June 16, 2010 at 5:51 am

I love protein. I love sweet and savory combos. I love strawberries and basil together. Yet, I never would have thought of this! Sounds amazing, I must give it a try!