Coconut Corn Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce – Gluten Free

by Marla on June 15, 2010 · 40 comments

Corn & coconut flour pancake stack with blueberry syrup.

I enjoy experimenting with high energy whole grains and flours.  Things that make me & the family feel great.  I LOVE passing these recipes on to you guys. For breakfast each day I usually enjoy my Stuffed French Toast. Here I have a go at a healthy pancake stack. In these I use coconut flour and corn flour instead of traditional whole wheat.  You will not miss the gluten in these fluffy pancakes. The corn and coconut flavor is wonderful. The blueberry sauce adds a nice sweet fruit component. We were all very happy with the results.

Pancakes with fresh blueberries and blueberry sauce

These days I am especially intrigued by the gluten free choices out there.  I am trying to understand the link between insulin levels and gluten.  I have not ever been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, but I am very sensitive to refined flours and sugar.  Sounds like gluten might impact insulin levels in a not so fab way. Recently I posted a few Gluten Free cookie recipes: Chocolate Chip Cookies, Maple Peanut Butter Cookies.  I am running with the GF thing and having a grand old time with it.

Do you guys know anything about how gluten might affect insulin levels?  How do you feel when you eat it?  How do you feel after you eat heavy carb based meals?

Sides for pancake breakfast or brunch.

Did I mention my kids are done with school?  Can you say veeeerrryyyyy hard to focus around here for more than a minute at a time.  I type about a word every few minutes as I am constantly diverted from my mission.

The good thing about having them home: GREAT little recipe testers.  They are brutally honest!

Breakfast or brunch corn coconut flour pancake

Please don’t be discouraged when trying to find these alternative flours.  I have them all listed at my Amazon Store should you wish to purchase them there.

Coconut Corn Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce – Gluten Free

Makes about 4 servings of pancakes and sauce

NOTES:

• Adjust sweetness of your batter & sauce according to taste.
  • If you don’t have blueberries you can try strawberries, blackberries or raspberries instead for your sauce.
  • You can add more milk as needed this batter tends to thicken up quickly.  The coconut flour is filled with fiber & it loves to soak up water.

INGREDIENTS

METHOD

Sauce: Add blueberries and lemon juice to a sauce pan on medium heat. Heat up mixture and stir frequently, this will help the blueberries “burst.” Once mixture is saucy, simmer about 5 minutes until liquids are reduced and sauce thickens a bit. Puree in food processor or blender. Sweeten to taste. Thin out with water as needed. Set aside.

Pancakes: Whisk to combine flours, flaxseed, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add eggs and milk. Sweeten batter to taste with stevia drops. Spray or lightly butter a medium sized skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Add spoon fulls of batter to pan.  Make pancakes as big as you want them. Mine were about 3 inches each. Let pancakes brown lightly on each side. Serve with blueberry sauce, see below.

Top your pancake stack with blueberry sauce and some fresh blueberries if desired. Add a dollop of stevia sweetened Greek Yogurt “whipped cream.”

Print This Recipe...

Pancake Recipe Links

1 Mo June 15, 2010 at 7:39 am

They look delicious! I don’t really notice an effect of gluten on me, but I don’t like the feeling I get when I eat a very carb-heavy meal. I can’t really describe it, but it’s not pleasant haha.

2 Cali June 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Be still, my heart.

3 Rosa June 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Those pancakes look so delicious with that blueberry sauce! a great food processor and giveaway!

cheers,

4 Juliana June 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Oh! I’ll go for the overdressed version ;-) Looks delicious!

5 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I have a jar of coconut flour at home and love using it! It adds a subtle amount of sweetness to pancakes-so good :)

6 FoodFitnessFreshair June 15, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I love blueberry pancakes. Just picked a ton today at my CSA…and got sent home with some as well :) I will have to try this over the weekend!

7 Faith June 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I’m so glad you posted this — I just bought a whole bag of coconut flour! I’ve been having fun finding new ways to use it and I can’t wait to try this! ;)

8 Jenny Flake June 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm

These pancakes have me drooling right now!! I think I am making pancakes for dinner tonight :)

9 Simply Life June 15, 2010 at 4:57 pm

WOW, those look amazing!

10 Jessica@Healthy Exposures June 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

i purchased some coconut flour a while ago, and have yet to really put it to use. i guess i’ve just been waiting for the most perfect pancake recipe, and i think i just found it :) the corn flour definitely intrigues me, too! do you think i could use whole wheat or spelt until i get my hands on some, though?
and i haven’t really noticed a negative effect of gluten on me…BUT, that could be because i’ve never gone any length of time without having gluten! so it would be an interesting experiment to do so and see if i notice any changes. i admit it – i’m a bit of a carb lover :O

11 marla June 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Hey Jessica, yes I would go ahead and try the whole wheat flour in these pancakes. Try the same proportions found in this recipe. I bet you will have great results.

12 sippitysup June 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Okay! Now you are showing me how funny you are. I love the poor “under-dressed” stack! I often know how it feels. GREG

13 My Man's Belly June 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I’ve been having a lot of fun playing with different flours too. No gluten problems, but after having done a cleanse that removed gluten I find that I don’t miss it. These pancakes look terrific. When can I come over for breakfast?

14 Lynne @ CookandBeMerry June 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I’d stand in line for the OverDressed stack. That blueberry sauce looks awesome! Yah, definitely the OverDressed.

15 sweetlife June 15, 2010 at 9:19 pm

beautiful pancakes, I’ll take the overdressed plate..ha ha

16 Erika - In Erika's Kitchen June 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm

These pancakes look just divine, Marla. I love the way you captioned all those pictures! Overdressed pancakes! Naked pancakes! You’re a hoot!

17 Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella June 16, 2010 at 4:39 am

hehe what a funny post! :P and what an inviting looking stack of pancakes!

18 FOODESSA June 16, 2010 at 11:16 am

Pancakes yes…gluten NO…fantastic alternate for those who are celiacs or are trying to reduce their gluten intake.
I’ve seen and used a few gluten-free flours…and yet, this is the first time I read about coconut flour. I’ll have to look for it next time.
Thanks for the tip and the recipe. Great amusing post.
Flavourful wishes, Claudia

19 A Canadian Foodie June 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I have a freind who uses coconut flour all of the time and swears by it – but it makes really dense foods full of fibre – a good and a bad thing. Sometimes too heavy for me. These look like they would feed an army – but would be really yummy – just a thin slice for me!
Valerie

20 Nicole, RD June 16, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Those look too good NOT to make!

21 Ciaran/Momfluential June 16, 2010 at 11:47 pm

1. Will you make me some of these?
2. Where did you get coconut flour?
3. I need to print ALL your GF recipes!

22 marla June 17, 2010 at 6:01 am

Hi Ciaran, I got the coconut flour at Mother’s Market. Whole Foods probably has it as well. See you at the office later??

23 grace June 17, 2010 at 2:14 am

fact: the only time overdressing is an issue with me is when it comes to food. i’m a chronic overdresser–syrup, salt, dressing, glaze, frosting, spices, what-have-you, i always pile it on. clothing for fancy events? that’s another story. :)

24 tasteofbeirut June 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

These pancakes sound and look amazing~ the blueberries are huge! they must have been so juicy! Love these experiments you are doing! We are all benefitting now, yeah!

25 Raina June 17, 2010 at 6:10 pm

These look wonderful. I love pancakes and especially blueberry. I love your healthy version. I don’t really notice gluten affecting me, but I definitely feel better when I eat healthier meals like the ones you prepare and not processed foods.

26 Sophie June 20, 2010 at 3:37 am

Waw!! Your stack of thicker coconut & corn flour pancakes looks so delectable & that bluberry sauce sings to me!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,…a real feast for the senses!!!

27 Sherry July 23, 2010 at 8:46 am

That is some nice photography! You really made those pancakes look mouth watering!!!!

28 Gabby October 3, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Hi Marla,
Love it I love the food! good job ill give you 8 stars ******** thats the stars and a smiley big face :D

29 Tickled Red May 11, 2011 at 7:52 pm

OMW!! OverDressed for me all the way!! I can’t wait to show these to my step-mom, she is a nut for anything coconut :)

30 Jennifer (Savor) May 12, 2011 at 3:45 am

Love the references to dressing and accesories Marla!

31 megan @ whatmegansmaking May 12, 2011 at 6:54 am

I used to make cornmeal pancakes from the jiffy cornbread mix. I’m guessing these are a little healthier ;)

32 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels May 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Oh my word do these pancakes look incredible! The blueberry sauce on the pancakes just makes them even more amazing. I would gladly eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :)

33 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. May 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

omg yum!

34 Megan May 17, 2011 at 7:04 am

I have a whole bag of corn flour from the lemon breakfast cookies and some coconut flour, I’ll have to try these out on the hubby. He usually doesn’t like to eat pancakes because of the way they make him feel. These will be fun to try out on him. Thanks for another great recipe Marla, and for sharing them with us. My blog doesn’t show it, but you have influenced me. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the whole sweetener thing too,

35 Hyman January 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

yay these look so yummy!!! I have a 5 month old who’s sensitive to any flour-y dish – he throws up/spits up really bad anytime I cheat :( (I breastfeed him exclusively but we’re starting solids via BabyLedWeaning soon) My mom is allergic to gluten and my H’s sister is allergic to wheat … hopefully my son grows out of it. However, these sound WAY healthier than wheat flour pancakes! I also love that they are low-sugar … I’m so sensitive to sugar right now … ??? not sure why.

So excited to try and happy I found your blog! They look gourmet!

36 Lisa May 18, 2012 at 6:08 am

These look great! What could I replace the flaxseed meal with? We have lots of unknown allergies over here and haven’t tried flaxseed yet. Another flour?? Thanks!