Green Supreme Shake-Kiwi, Avocado, Green Tea & Coconut

by Marla on June 18, 2010 · 35 comments

Creamy fruit shake smoothie for summer

Oh Summer.  The tastes, flavors and textures cool down as the temperatures rise.  The creamy thick shake you see above is kid approved and great for grown ups too.  The sweet flavors of kiwi fruit & banana combine with creamy avocado and coconut combine to create a thick shake that won’t leave you feeling “thick.”  It’ll leave you feeling light and very happy.  This ice blended drink is filled with antioxidants, healthy fats and sweet good for you stuff.  Sipped through a straw and you have the perfect summer shake.  It is simple to prepare for hot weather backyard BBQ’s, parties and entertaining.

Smiling & happy brother and sister at Disney

It was fun to learn about the Kiwi last month at Camp Blogaway.  The PR team from Zespri Kiwi Fruit taught us loads about this sweet- tart fruity treat.  Listed below are a few of the things that make Kiwi’s special and worth our time and taste buds.

Nutritional information about kiwis. So you might be wondering….why the tribute to the kiwi?  Well I am entering this recipe post in the Zespri’s Kiwi A-Go-Go Blogger’s Contest.  The folks over there are running a contest through October 31st and the prize is 2 trips for 4 to New Zealand, the home of the kiwi.  Click The Great Kiwi Adventure to learn more or to enter. {Just don’t take my seat on the airplane, OK?}

Girl in black dress with fruit shake

Are you looking for a new idea for a mini meal?  Are you craving something sweet but you want it to be nutrient dense?  This shake will cover all those bases.  It has a bunch of superfood fruits and healthy fats to sustain. The  avocado and coconut not only add flavor and texture but they will keep you fuller longer than a shake just made with fruit.  Not to mention these healthy fats will trick your taste buds into thinking they are sipping an ice cream shake! I also snuck a little green tea in here to up the anti oxidants even more.

Green summer fruit shake with essential vitamins and minerals

“Green Supreme” Kiwi, Avocado, Green Tea, Coconut Shake

• Always source Organic ingredients when available.
  • Shop for ingredients at the Family Fresh Cooking Amazon Store
  • Adjust ingredients according to taste and what you have on hand.
  • If your fruit is very ripe & sweet you will need less stevia or perhaps none.

serves 2, eight ounce shakes

INGREDIENTS

METHOD

1. Combine all ingredients except for stevia in a blender and blend until well combined.
  2. Taste and add stevia if desired.
  3. Top with a slice of kiwi and unsweetened coconut flake.

Print This Recipe...

1 angie June 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

Marla! You’ve done it again! So pretty to look at, so healthy and so delicious! I love the pictures of the kids. They are your best models. They are healthy and strong and eat such healthy foods. You and your family are such an inspiration! Thank you!

2 Daydreamer Desserts June 18, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Great recipe Marla! I love this post, the kiddos look adorable… :)

3 Juliana June 18, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Oh! The pictures are so cute :-) The shake sure looks yummie…kiwi, avocado and green tea…lovely!

4 Baking Serendipity June 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I love the inclusion of kiwi in here! Looks like a great, healthy combination of flavors :)

5 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 18, 2010 at 3:03 pm

This sounds amazing and refreshing! Now can you send me a hot day so that this cools me off? :)

6 Mac June 18, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Marla,
I adore Kiwi, Avacado, and coconut so blending them together is a must try for me. Good luck in the contest. :-)

7 shelly (cookies and cups) June 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Great shake and cute kiddos!

8 Rosa June 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm

What a mouthwatering shake! I’d love one of those now.

9 rebecca June 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm

wow awesome smoothie looks delicious and your daughter thinks so too, have a lovely weekend

Rebecca

10 theUngourmet June 18, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I’ve never thought to put avocado into a shake. I’ll have to give this a try! Your photos are wonderful!

11 Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella June 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm

What a fun looking event! What a great prize too! NZ is such an amazing country to visit! :)

12 FoodFitnessFreshair June 19, 2010 at 5:44 am

That would be an unreal win! I hope you get it! The shake looks great. We actually grow kiwis at my work, which I think is so strange because it’s no where near tropical here!

13 sippitysup June 19, 2010 at 7:41 am

Kiwis are great but those kids are the star here! GREG

14 My Man's Belly June 19, 2010 at 10:22 am

Go Green! This looks delicious.

15 Faith June 19, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love the adorable pics of your kiddos! I think it’s fantastic that they are such healthy eaters — a true reflection of their mama! ;) This shake looks delicious and refreshing, I’m crossing my fingers for the contest!

16 grace June 19, 2010 at 1:59 pm

outstanding! i LOVE kiwi, mostly because of those awesome, crunchy little seeds. they’d take this shake from tasty to phenomenal!

17 Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog June 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm

What wonderful smoothie – loves the combo of kiwi, coconut and green tea :)

Have a great weekend,

Gera

18 Sophie June 20, 2010 at 3:39 am

MMMMMM,..a lovely green good for you smoothie!! Yeah!

Lovely pictures too!

19 heavenly housewife June 20, 2010 at 5:18 am

What a beautiful drink. Looks so fresh and pretty, perfect for summer :)

20 5 Star Foodie June 20, 2010 at 6:55 pm

What a terrific drink! With the addition of kiwi, avocado and green tea it sure is so super healthy!

21 pigpigscorner June 21, 2010 at 4:43 am

wow, very unique combination of flavours! Sounds really good!

22 sweetlife June 21, 2010 at 6:21 pm

great smoothie, love the pics..good luck on the contest

sweetlife

23 FOODESSA June 22, 2010 at 4:59 am

Refreshing…Nutritional and absolutely the perfect match to those adorable children. They certainly keep it real and I can see you’re having loads of fun with this. Very nice recipe with appealing ingredients. Will try;o)
Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

24 Joanne June 22, 2010 at 5:14 am

This smoothie sounds supremely fantastic! I love kiwis but they make my tongue go numb so I try not to eat them (although it’s hard). Awesome combination of ingredients!

25 A Canadian Foodie June 24, 2010 at 8:34 am

What knock out photos. You are having fun with your computer, Marla. I would love to read a post on what you use and how you do your words and pics… they are so adorable… and truly add your voice to your work. The healthy KIWI shake looks magnificent – especially with your gorgeous little doll drinking it.
Valerie

26 marla June 24, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Valerie, I do touch ups, sharpening, color brightness/saturation in Photoshop and all the fun graphics in Illustrator. I use a pressure sensitive Wacom tablet- http://astore.amazon.com/familyfreshcooking-20/detail/B002OOWC42 to do my line work (painting, airbrushing, etc…) Can’t live without my tablet, i’ll never go back to a mouse! I hope this reply found it’s way into your mailbox….please confirm that it did. I think it is a great idea for me to do a post on the design aspect of a post.

27 Nicole, RD June 24, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I love the photos, Marla…your baby girl is so cute! The kiwi and avocado together sound like an amazing smoothie! I have to try this! Avocado in a smoothie is so refreshing!

28 Lesley Miller February 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

Stumbled across this today and can’t wait to try it!
Usually I drink a shake every morning but we’re doing a kitchen
remodel right now so I’m stuck with cereal, bagels and instant
oatmeal. :( Boo. I had no idea kiwis had so much fiber! Holy
moly!

29 Tabitha March 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

This recipe looks really yummy. Its on the menu for next weeks lunch! :) Thanks for sharing I can’t wait to try it.

30 Denise June 25, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Do you know the nutrition value of this awesome looking smoothie?

31 Marla June 26, 2013 at 3:46 am

Hi Denise…nope I do not.

32 Jolly December 1, 2013 at 8:36 am

Just wanted to say your kudos r a perfect way to show other kids to eat healthy good luck in your winnings :-)