I had so much fun putting this cracker recipe together. My goal was to lighten up and add lots of nutrients to the standard mass marketed “Goldfish” crackers.
How are my cheddar crackers different you ask? First of all, unlike the overly processed packaged versions these are best served straight out of the oven. They have a crispy outside and a doughy, biscuit type interior.
My recommendation is to munch them pretty quickly as they are best fresh (this is not hard to do!)
Here are more fabulous details that make these cheddar sea creatures a bit different:
I used Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, Cabot Low fat Cheddar Cheese(a combo of sharp white and mild yellow) Instead of Butter I used Walnut Oil(you can use any oil or butter) I added a pinch of my favorite Smoked Paprika.
I suggest each time you serve them you heat them a bit under a low broiler or toaster oven to achieve the optimal texture These had much more flavor and kick to them then the pre-packaged, factory made “fishies.” I liked them & so did the kids. The kids liked cutting the shapes out of the dough too.
If you guys have any suggestions how to crisp these up a bit more, please share with us. Perhaps if they are baked a bit longer?
I suppose they could go a few additional minutes in the oven (I just couldn’t wait to eat them!) They could be “finished” with a few minutes under a low broiler. I will continue to experiment with them, but they were mighty tasty as is.
These cheddar crackers are also delish dipped in peanut butter or extra decadent dipped in cream cheese. Mr. Fresh thought I was crazy to make little cheddar cracker PB & J sandwiches…..but they were oh so good. Gosh, I need to be a kid again!
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2 tablespoons Walnut Oil (any oil or melted unsalted butter good too)
- 3/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoked Paprika or Sweet Paprika
- 8 ounces low fat Cheddar Cheese (white & yellow)
- 3-4 tablespoons Water
- Add flour, oil, salt and paprika to food processor. Combine into a coarse meal texture. Slowly add cheese in about 3 additions to mix. Combine well.Add 3 tablespoons of water. Continue to process until dough forms. Pinch dough to see that it sticks together well. Add another tablespoon of water if needed. Remove dough from food processor and flatten into 1 or 2 discs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in fridge for at least 1/2 hour, overnight if needed.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the center. Remove dough from fridge. Roll it out to about 1/8" inch thick. Cut out your desired shapes. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Crackers should be golden brown when finished. If you want them crispier you can add on a few minutes of baking time - or - maybe put them under a low broiler for a few minutes. Just watch carefully if you do this so they do not burn.
Homemade Cracker Recipe Links
- Homemade Flaxseed and Black Pepper Crackers Milk and Honey
- Honey Graham Dippers And Love it Too
- Olive Oil Crackers My Homespun Home
- Rosemary Prosciutto Crackers Haniela’s
- Walnut Maple Graham Crackers Aida Mollenkamp
- Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers Big Bears Wife