Chocolate Crepes with Cherry Jam and Ricotta Cheese

by Marla on July 20, 2010 · 45 comments

Healthy whole grain crepe recipe with chocolate and cherries.

With so much cherry going on these days I simply had to create a recipe using everyone’s favorite Summer fruit. I recently purchased a few pints ofBing & Rainier Cherries at Whole Foods. While many were enjoyed out of hand….most were added to these crepes in the form of a cherry jam. I have been all about fruity sauces and spreads lately. Whenever we have a fresh batch of fruit part of it goes into some kind of saucy creation like in my Coconut Corn Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce. Even my savories, Coconut Oat crusted Chicken Nuggetsget a fruit sauce treatment, in that recipe the fruit is pomegranate.

Rainier and Bing Cherries
My friend Esi at Dishing Up Delights recently made a crepe recipe that inspired me to make my first batch. I have always been intimidated by crepes, thinking of them as somewhat of a “fancy” food. I have to tell you – not only were they delicious, they made the house smell heavenly and they were simple to prepare. Even though crepes are a super thin delicate pancake, I did not destroy one. Not even while flipping.

Recipe for homemade crepes with cherry sauce

I could not resist adding a chocolate sauce, afterall chocolate goes with everything….right? I have a simple chocolate sauce that I invented a while back that is simply unsweetened cocoa powder, some hot water and your sweetener of choice. It is an all purpose, low calorie, high octane chocolate treat that you can use to top anything with no guilt. I use this sauce on everything from my oatmeal to my thick greek yogurt parfaits.

Cherry Ricotta Whole Grain Crepe with Chocolate Sauce

……..and on Cherry Ricotta Crepes. You can fill these crepes with your favorite fruit. Don’t feel limited by the cherries if it is not cherry season. Frozen berries or cherries could work well to.

Whole wheat crepes recipe for home cooks.

Chocolate Crepes with Cherry Jam and Ricotta Cheese

NOTES

• These crepes are great for brunch, breakfast, dessert or mini-meals.
  • As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor your crepes.
  • You can sweeten the ricotta or not. The cherry sauce might be sweet enough for you.
  • Prepare sauces first so your crepes stay warm. These are best served warm and fresh.

CHOCOLATE CREPES

Makes about Six 8-inch crepes

METHOD

1. Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Try to break up any lumps.
  2. Lightly spray a 8-inch non stick pan with oil. Preheat over medium heat.
  3. Pour a little less than 1/4 cup of the batter in the pan. (Batter should be nice & thin, add more milk if needed.)
  4. Tilt and swirl the pan so that the batter evenly coats the bottom of the pan.
  5. Cook for about 2 minutes until the crepe has browned on the bottom. Lift edge to see that underside is evenly cooked.
  6. Gently flip crepe, and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the other side has is nicely browned.
  7. You might need to re-spray the pan with oil periodically.

CHERRY SAUCE

makes about 1 1/2 cup sauce

• 16 ounces fresh Cherries, pit after measuring
  • 1/4 cup water

METHOD

• Put cherries and water in a medium sauce pan.
  • Bring to boil and turn down to simmer. Simmer for about 8 minutes until sauce thickens & you can easily mash cherries with a spoon or spatula. The sauce will be thick & bubbly when it is ready.
  • Blend well in blender or food processor.

CHOCOLATE SAUCE

per serving

• 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • Stevia or favorite natural sweetener to taste
  • a few drops of hot water (you can make your sauce thick or thin depending on how much water you use)
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine.

RICOTTA FILLING

6 -7 servings

• 1 (15 ounce) container Non-fat Ricotta Cheese
  • Optional: Vanilla Stevia drops, powder or Maple, Agave or Honey to taste

METHOD

1. Combine ricotta and sweetener to taste.

ASSEMBLY

1. Lay crepe flat.
  2. Add layer of ricotta cheese (about 2 ounces) inside crepe. Leave about 3/4″ border around cheese.
  3. Add some cherry sauce to the center.
  4. Fold crepe over and enjoy while still warm.

Print This Recipe...

Crepe Recipe Links

1 Cookin' Canuck July 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

What gorgeous crepes! That ricotta cherry filling is truly making me salivate. I really appreciate that the crepes are made from whole wheat flour.

2 Kristen July 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

You are so cute with the little jam heart on top. Love it!
And, I love the print behind your photos. Is that just fabric or a tablecloth? So whimsical and lovely!

3 Marla July 20, 2010 at 6:27 am

Kristin, that is a tea towel I picked up in Boulder at the store Peppercorn. The brand is Danica studio. Here is a link, their stuff is gorgeous!

Dara, the whole wheat flour adds so much as far as flavor and nutrition.

4 Jessica @ How Sweet July 20, 2010 at 6:34 am

These are too cute. Not to mention they sound delicious!

5 Cara July 20, 2010 at 6:34 am

chocolate, cherries, and cheese, oh my! Actually it sounds like we are quite on the same page considering the muffins I posted last week :) These sound wonderful, and thank you especially for the tip on that chocolate sauce!

6 Rosa July 20, 2010 at 7:25 am

Those crepes look to die for! A great filling.

7 allison [a for aubergine] July 20, 2010 at 9:03 am

omg, these look stellar, marla! you should just open a crepe cafe. i’d be a regular!! xxoo

8 Heavenly Housewife July 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

Wow, these look so incredibly lovely. I really want some :)

9 Noelle July 20, 2010 at 9:11 am

These looks fantastic!! Nice colors and pictures. You have amzing photo skills!

10 alison July 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

These look amazing! Love the recipe and your photos. You rock!

11 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 20, 2010 at 10:33 am

I love crepes and they are actually super easy to make. even my husband could probably make em :)

12 Barbara Bakes July 20, 2010 at 6:27 pm

We love crepes at my house. I have yet to try chocolate crepes. Looks like an easy, delicious recipe.

13 grace July 21, 2010 at 1:58 am

absolutely beautiful, marla! the filling is gorgeous and tasty, the crepes are elegant, and the heart is just adorable. :)

14 Ambika Venkat July 21, 2010 at 6:16 am

That looks sinful!!! Love the idea of using whole wheat flour.

15 Reeni July 21, 2010 at 6:39 am

These are beauties! The filling is just luscious and the chocolate sauce makes them extra special!

16 Jenny Flake July 21, 2010 at 7:12 am

This is a gorgeous recipe girl! Want some right now!!

17 Angie's Recipes July 21, 2010 at 7:23 am

Chocolate crepes with ricotta filling sounds heavenly! The picture of chocolate sauce pouring off makes me salivate!

18 Ashley July 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

Oh my! Chocolate for breakfast. You’re a genius. These look scrumptious.

19 Nicole, RD July 21, 2010 at 9:04 am

Wow! Those look fantastic!! I LOVE crepes! Not as hard to make as I once thought, either! Just need that skillet to be HOT!

20 tasteofbeirut July 21, 2010 at 11:59 am

marla
Your shots are superb! then the dish itself is one worth giving up lunch and dinner for! I am all for that last add-on of the chocolate sauce, slurp!!

21 sweetlife July 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm

truly lovely crepes and the filling is awesome!!

sweetlife

22 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 21, 2010 at 3:13 pm

loving the crepes! I am glad my kombucha was a hit. I have like 10 more jars like that I could have given you…seriously, had I known…

I made vegan GF banana crepes last week and posted about them. They were so good and easy. But….they do require a dehyd, not a skillet, then again, one can always try in a skillet

Ok so we defi have to get together sometime soon…when ever things pick back up on everything else, if there’s a meeting or such, count me in!

23 Marla July 21, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Averie, I linked to your wonderful sounding Gluten Free Banana Crepes in this post. Must try your recipe!

24 My Man's Belly July 21, 2010 at 6:19 pm

I’m coming to your house for breakfast! It was good seeing you last weekend.

25 my spatula July 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm

beautiful crepes and wonderful flavors!

26 Lynne @ CookandBeMerry July 21, 2010 at 9:51 pm

It was so much fun to see you in person at the truffle party. And these crepes look awesome. I especially like the combo of the cherry sauce and ricotta. Yum!

27 theUngourmet July 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Oh. My. These crepes are so rich and decadent! Your photos are amazing too!

28 Joanne July 22, 2010 at 4:47 am

I’ve been loving fruity sauces lately as well! It’s a good way to make the fruit last longer (or not because sometimes I just eat the sauce with a spoon…)

These crepes look fantastic! I want to wake up to THESE.

29 FOODESSA July 22, 2010 at 5:30 am

Ever since I’ve delved into the world of ‘Foodie’ blogs…I’ve never been so heavy on the hips during the summer months. Sooo many temptations and inspirations like your very sweet adorable dish. Last week, I also made my crepe and ricotta filling recipe…now, I think I’ll wait a little longer to post. Let’s enjoy your recipe and presentation for now ;o) It seems we are kind of in sync lately…hmmm…great minds ;)

Ciao for now and have yourself a fabulous day,
Claudia

30 Daniel@CocinaSavant July 22, 2010 at 5:41 am

What a fantastic plate of crepes. The use of tangy and sweet with the ricotta and cherries is perfect.

31 Amanda July 22, 2010 at 5:53 am

These look divine!

32 Lentil Breakdown July 22, 2010 at 7:34 am

Wow doesn’t begin to describe this post!! Incredible pics. Mouth drooling. Please send crepes! Great seeing you at Erika’s!

33 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious July 22, 2010 at 9:22 am

Those are some wowser photos! The one with choc drizzling off the spoon makes me want to run into the kitchen RIGHT NOW! This sounds like a total yumfest.

34 fotographiafoodie July 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Crepes can be dressed up or dressed down, but no matter what, they remind me of childhood. Thanks for a solid healthy recipe!

35 Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 22, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Marla, you’ve done it again! Healthy and sinfully delicious – this time, wrapped up in a delicate whole wheat crepe. Your photos are gorgeous, too :) But I’d like to know what you use or how you pit your cherries.

36 Marla July 23, 2010 at 6:33 am

Priscilla, I use a OXO Good Grip Cherry Pitter. So easy & quick to use. I pit them over a big bowl to prevent any accidental splatter. Here is a link:

37 Barbara @ moderncomfortfood July 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Chocolate, cherries, and ricotta? Yes, I think so. I’m all thumbs when it comes to proper crepes but might just cheat and use thin-ish pancakes for this delicious recipe.

38 Sophie July 25, 2010 at 2:00 am

Waw!! What stunning stuffed chocolate crêpes!!

MMMMMMM,..I so love cherries, ricotta & chocolate sauce!!!

Divine treats!

39 Paula July 27, 2010 at 7:23 am

what a great blog! I like that :) and these chocolate crepes too :)

Have a nice time!
Paula

40 Melissa July 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

WOW!! Sounds so yummy and your photography is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!…is there anything you can’t do? :)

41 Marla July 29, 2010 at 11:08 am

Melissa, awwwww thanks for the sweet compliments. So glad to see you stopping by for a lookie

42 A Canadian Foodie August 6, 2010 at 11:15 am

Gorgeous – gorgeous photos, Marla, and a very timely post as we are getting home next week from this summer’s European travels. We enjoyed crepes in Paris and a similar dish called Palacinka in Bosnia. We are currently in Serbia and I cannot wait to get home to cook! Vanja loves Nutella on his crepes. That is it. I love them savoury. This recipe will definitely go into my “to try” file.
Thanks, Marla, and sorry I have not been keeping up with my readings. We left for Paris mid July and are still away, as I have said, in Belgrade, currently.
Valerie

43 judy meridith August 21, 2010 at 7:10 pm

oh, Marla, this sounds yummmy. I will try this one for sure.

44 Emma March 30, 2013 at 5:44 pm

In a more detailed post, I will discus some of the reasoning behind our choices. Fantastic reasoning here. I always do benefit from looking up your blog posts. I really have learned a vast amount from them.