With so much cherry going on these days I simply had to create a recipe using everyone’s favorite Summer fruit. I recently purchased a few pints ofBing & Rainier Cherries at Whole Foods. While many were enjoyed out of hand….most were added to these crepes in the form of a cherry jam. I have been all about fruity sauces and spreads lately. Whenever we have a fresh batch of fruit part of it goes into some kind of saucy creation like in my Coconut Corn Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce. Even my savories, Coconut Oat crusted Chicken Nuggetsget a fruit sauce treatment, in that recipe the fruit is pomegranate.
My friend Esi at Dishing Up Delights recently made a crepe recipe that inspired me to make my first batch. I have always been intimidated by crepes, thinking of them as somewhat of a “fancy” food. I have to tell you – not only were they delicious, they made the house smell heavenly and they were simple to prepare. Even though crepes are a super thin delicate pancake, I did not destroy one. Not even while flipping.
I could not resist adding a chocolate sauce, afterall chocolate goes with everything….right? I have a simple chocolate sauce that I invented a while back that is simply unsweetened cocoa powder, some hot water and your sweetener of choice. It is an all purpose, low calorie, high octane chocolate treat that you can use to top anything with no guilt. I use this sauce on everything from my oatmeal to my thick greek yogurt parfaits.
……..and on Cherry Ricotta Crepes. You can fill these crepes with your favorite fruit. Don’t feel limited by the cherries if it is not cherry season. Frozen berries or cherries could work well to.
Chocolate Crepes with Cherry Jam and Ricotta Cheese
- These crepes are great for brunch, breakfast, dessert or mini-meals.
- As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor your crepes.
- You can sweeten the ricotta or not. The cherry sauce might be sweet enough for you.
- Prepare sauces first so your crepes stay warm. These are best served warm and fresh.
Makes about Six 8-inch crepes
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 2-3 teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup non fat Milk (or any milk you desire)
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Stevia powder (to taste) or your favorite natural sweetener
- 1 tsp melted Butter
- Cooking Spray
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Try to break up any lumps.
- Lightly spray a 8-inch non stick pan with oil. Preheat over medium heat.
- Pour a little less than 1/4 cup of the batter in the pan. (Batter should be nice & thin, add more milk if needed.)
- Tilt and swirl the pan so that the batter evenly coats the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until the crepe has browned on the bottom. Lift edge to see that underside is evenly cooked.
- Gently flip crepe, and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the other side has is nicely browned.
- You might need to re-spray the pan with oil periodically.
makes about 1 1/2 cup sauce
- 16 ounces fresh Cherries, pit after measuring
- 1/4 cup water
- Put cherries and water in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to boil and turn down to simmer. Simmer for about 8 minutes until sauce thickens & you can easily mash cherries with a spoon or spatula. The sauce will be thick & bubbly when it is ready.
- Blend well in blender or food processor.
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Stevia or favorite natural sweetener to taste
- a few drops of hot water (you can make your sauce thick or thin depending on how much water you use)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
6 -7 servings
- 1 (15 ounce) container Non-fat Ricotta Cheese
- Optional: Vanilla Stevia drops, powder or Maple, Agave or Honey to taste
- Combine ricotta and sweetener to taste.
- Lay crepe flat.
- Add layer of ricotta cheese (about 2 ounces) inside crepe. Leave about 3/4″ border around cheese.
- Add some cherry sauce to the center.
- Fold crepe over and enjoy while still warm.
- You can sub in your favorite fresh fruit & frozen is good too.
- Try my Raspberry or Blueberry sauce instead for variety.
Crepe Recipe Links
- Buckwheat and Flaxseed Berry Crepes Cook Your Dream
- Chocolate Crepes Sea Salt With Food
- Crepes Dishing Up Delights
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Pan-Crepes Family Fresh Cooking
- Vegan Banana Crepes Love Veggies and Yoga