Grilled Coconut Sweet Potato Kebabs

by Marla on July 23, 2010 · 40 comments

Grilled sweet potatoes recipe for parties a home cooking.Thankfully I want and crave healthy food all the time. I desire simple preparations that let the ingredients speak for themselves. Sweet Potatoes (what we interchangeably call the Yam) is at the top of my list. Traditionally sweet potatoes are served in the Fall & Winter months. I need them and crave them all year round. In this recipe I fire up the grill and add some unrefined coconut oil to make these oh so refined. If I could throw a giant party dedicated to the Sweet Potato I would (with a runner up being Salmon.) Perhaps I would call it “Sweet Potato Palooza?” Oh wait, that name has been claimed by a friend……

Healthy grilled coconut sweet potato kebabs. Last weekend I was at a very fun event. My friend Erika of In Erika’s Kitchen threw a 13 course Trufflepalooza. That’s right friends course after course of truffle based creations created from scratch, by her, for about 70 people. I met Erika earlier this year at Food Blog Forum, we re-connected at Camp Blogaway & again at Ciudad.  I clicked “yes” to the RSVP as soon as I learned about this event. From Truffled Butter, to a Porcini Truffle Dip, a Truffle Egg Salad, to Truffle Chocolate Truffles. Erika tantalized our taste buds with the gamut of sweet to savory and everything in between. I was a very grateful guest.

OK, back to Sweet Potatoes. She will be posting those recipes on her blog so be sure to check ‘em out there.

Healthy Summer grilling. Sweet Potato skewers. We all know by now that sweet potatoes are high octane superfoods. Lot’s of folks disagree with the term “super” food. I kind of like it. In this case let’s give credit where credit is due. The sweet potato deserves a pat on the back…..or wherever you would pat a potato.

The variety used here is the Garnet Yam. Not only are these babies full of flavor they are bursting with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants. When you see that bright orange color you can be assured of lots of vitamin A and beta-carotene.

Grilled sweet potatoes with coconut flake and yogurt dip.

Finished with a dusting of unsweetened coconut flake & you have a great side dish to pair with your savories. These Sweet Potatoes are great tossed in salads or served alongside your favorite burger.

Sweet potato kebabs with sweet greek yogurt sauce.

Paired with sweetened whipped cream or in this case non fat thick greek yogurt you got yourself a unique twist on dessert. Either way, you will have plenty of grilled Sweet Potato Kebabs to enjoy any way you desire.

Grilled Coconut Sweet Potato Kebabs

8-10 servings, assume about 1/2 cup sweet potatoes per person

NOTES

• Source organic ingredients when available. Shop for ingredients at the Family Fresh Cooking Amazon Store
  • These Sweet Potatoes are great for lunch, dinner, dessert or mini-meals.
  • As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor your Sweet Potatoes.  My ingredient lists are wide open for interpretation.
  • Try to keep size uniform for even cooking. I left the skin on for added nutrients.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 or more medium to large Garnet Yams (sweet potatoes), cleaned & cut into 1-2 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon unrefined Coconut Oil
  • Salt to taste
  • Unsweetened Coconut Flake
  • Optional Dip: fat free Thick Greek Yogurt or Whipped Cream (vegan or not), sweetened to taste with your favorite natural sweetener

METHOD

1. Pre-heat grill on medium setting.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to boil (enough to cover sweet potato chunks.
  3. Boil sweet potatoes about 8 minutes until softened, but not completely cooked through.
  4. Drain sweet potatoes. Let cool. Toss with coconut oil and put on skewers.
  5. Grill for about 4 minutes on each side for about 8 minutes total cook time.
  6. Sprinkle unsweetened coconut flake over the top of grilled sweet potatoes. Season with more salt if desired.

Print This Recipe...

Variations

• Lightly sweetened whipped cream or thick greek yogurt makes this into a creamy sweet dessert treat.
  • Another sweet dipping sauce that would pair well: Try my Pomegranate Dipping Sauce
  • Sprinkle you sweet potatoes with some cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom.

Sweet Potato Recipe Links

1 Rosa July 23, 2010 at 10:36 am

What a great idea! Those must taste wonderful!

2 Jessica @ How Sweet July 23, 2010 at 10:40 am

This is such an awesome, unique idea. I gotta try them. Love coconut and sweet potatoes. I usually drizzle mine with coconut butter!

3 Heavenly Housewife July 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

Oh, I’ll be these are wonderful. I love everything you’ve used, the sweet potato, the coconut, and the greek yogurt.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
*kisses* HH

4 FoodFitnessFreshair July 23, 2010 at 10:48 am

I also crave simple and healthy, especially when it comes to sweet potatoes. Stick a plain baked sweet potato in front of me and I’m a happy camper. They have tons of kebab places here in London, but all are filled with oil dripping lamb and other meats. I’d kill for some coconut sweet potato kebabs!

5 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather July 23, 2010 at 11:48 am

Mmmmmmmm Marla I had garnet yams with my breakfast this morning! I like regular sweet potatoes a bit more, but the sweetness and color can’t be beat with these bad boys. I never thought to grill them. I am so doing this! Thanks for the inspiration :)

6 Kristen July 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm

What a great idea for a side dish! Yum!

7 Rose @ The Bite Me Kitchen July 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

YUM! Great combo of sweet potatoes and coconut! I love it!

8 Nicole, RD July 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Those sound AMAZING! Totally unique!

9 grace July 24, 2010 at 3:15 am

the only thing better than a cooked sweet potato is a grilled sweet potato, and the only thing better than a grilled sweet potato is a grilled sweet potato adorned with coconut. wait, that doesn’t make sense does it… :)

10 Joanne July 24, 2010 at 5:42 am

I saw these on either tastespotting or foodgawker last night and while I was way too tired to investigate the situation further, I knew I had to have them! I’m so glad to stumble across them here. Sweet potatoes are a SERIOUS favorite.

11 Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul July 24, 2010 at 5:59 am

I have got to try this. I think I’ll do Sweet Potatoes and Eggplant with a Greek Yogurt with Cumin and Red Onion for the dipping sauce! Yummy!

12 Marla July 24, 2010 at 6:15 am

Jenné, I love your more savory take on these kebabs. Can’t wait to hear how they come out!

Joanne, you are too funny! Yes, I see that these kebabs posted during the wee hours over at Foodgawker. Glad to hear you were up gawking.

Grace (A Southern Grace) you always make sense my friend!

Grace (Food Fitness Fresh Air) I know greasy kebabs get old fast. These are light and healthy!

13 Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread July 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm

One of my favorite things are roasted sweet potatoes but I never thought to grill them!! I LOVE this idea and will be making soon! The coconut addition is perfect pair!

14 Barbara Bakes July 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I wish I craved more healthy food. I’m sure they are fabulous with the yummy dip.

15 Mags July 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I’m a HUGE fan of roasted sweet potatoes and know that the coconut would really put these kabobs over the top!

16 FOODESSA July 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Second to regular potatoes…the sweet ones put a real smile on my tummy. I love them prepared in so many different ways. I’ve never quite grilled them in that very intersting fashion. Roasted coconut is an excellent accompaniment.

Have yourself a great weekend and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

17 sophia July 25, 2010 at 9:21 am

You’re the Queen Bee for healthy, FREAKISHLY delicious looking food! Wow those look SO good right now! But I’ll have to wait for awhile because the sweet ptoatoes these days just kind of suck. Can’t wait for the beginning of fall!

18 Deliciously Organic July 26, 2010 at 6:43 am

These look delicious! My kids love sweet potatoes, I’ll have to try this recipe soon!

19 Maria July 26, 2010 at 7:14 am

We are without a kitchen, but not a grill. I will be making these often!

20 sippitysup July 26, 2010 at 8:14 am

I know I would love these. I don’t even think twice. Great seeing you at Trufflepalloza GREG

21 pigpigscorner July 26, 2010 at 11:58 am

Love the combo! Great idea serving with greek yogurt. Add some honey and…yum!

22 Juliana July 26, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Oh! Love the simplicity of this sweet potatoes…looks delicious!

23 Alison July 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Another great recipe by you! I love getting your emails everyday. These looks so good, and they use all of my favorite ingredients!

24 sweetlife July 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm

great idea and perfect for any time of the year, love the dipping sauce idea also

sweetlife

25 Faith July 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I never would have thought to turn sweet potatoes into kebabs! How perfect for a meal when I’m grilling chicken and veggies. The coconut on top sounds delicious!

26 Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm

You had me at coconut! Never considered sweet potatoes as a dessert (except sweet potato pie) but with greek style yogurt and coconut, I’ll have to give it a try. Oh, and Erika’s truffle affair sounds like heaven!

27 Cooking with Coley July 26, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites! I often slice them thin and throw them on the grill only to watch them fall through the cracks. Thanks for the kebab suggestion – why didn’t I think of that?! Thanks!

28 Marla July 27, 2010 at 5:16 am

Nicole, another useful grill gadget is a grill basket. It is a great way to cook smaller veggies and keep them falling through the grill grates. Here is a link to one:

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 26, 2010 at 11:13 pm

ooooh I love these! What an awesome combination of flavours!!!

30 cathy/ShowFoodChef July 26, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I’d attend any ‘palooza with sweet potatoes in the name! I love that you kicked up the flavor with coconut oil — brilliant! This is a MUST try for me.

31 susan from food blogga July 27, 2010 at 6:36 am

This recipe is genius!

32 Lentil Breakdown July 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I yam what I yam, and I too, am a fan of yam! I love this idea of yours and the photos are all beauties!

33 fresh365 August 4, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Love this! They remind me of the sweet potato fries I had with a dusting of powdered sugar in New Orleans recently. Love the idea of coconut!

34 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic November 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Just saw this recipe from links at the Kitchn – so glad I found it!! Grilled sweet potato with coconut and dipped into thick Greek yogurt sounds absolutely delicious!

35 Hawai‘Leah April 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm

SOOOO going to try this! I love everything in this recipe so I KNOW it will be good!

36 Sharon @ Life After Empty Nest June 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm

These look amazing! My daughter found them on Pinterest and we are both making them this week (she is an adult) Thanks for sharing!
I’m “pinning” too!!
xoxo

37 Marla June 30, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Yay!!! Thanks so much for stopping by to tell me. Enjoy :)