Watermelon Frozen Yogurt Popsicles

by Marla on July 27, 2010 · 78 comments

Summer frozen fruit smoothie pops

Anyone out there remember Dannon Frozen Yogurt Pops from back in the 80’s? Or was it the 70’s? I think I am starting to date myself. Anyway, I used to love those frozen treats. They were different from anything else in the ice cream aisle. They were creamy, sweet, tangy and dreamy. They were the kind of dessert & snack that you could easily convince your parents into thinking they were actually healthy. After all, they are made of fruit and yogurt right? The yogurt pop is kind of like a frozen smoothie on a stick.

Sliced summer watermelon

Is it the pink that makes me so happy or the simple delicate treat?

Watermelon wedge with bite taken out.

Was it just my kids or do a lot of little ones new to talking refer to Watermelon as “Water-Lemon?” It is a cute way to describe the perfect Summer fruit. The pink & green colors are something out of The Preppy Handbook or a Lilly Pulitzer catalog. Watermelon is a happy treat. It drips with sweetness and satisfies hot & thirsty bodies. It does not have acidic notes like a lemon, just sweet ones. It makes me think of strolling through Palm Beach or the Hamptons on a hot summer’s day.

watermelon frozen smoothie bars

Bite into this creamy, dreamy pop and a cool sensation hits your tongue. Next up is frozen pudding meets a custard textural explosion. Tart meets tang meets sweet.

Creamy frozen fruit popsicle

Store bought pops are easy for on the fly, but these popsicles are better for you and they cost a whole lot less. There are no wrappers to throw out and you can make them so quickly.

Pink Frozen Yogurt Smoothie Pop

What is your favorite kind of popsicle?

Watermelon Frozen Yogurt Popsicles

makes about 6 pops (This recipe will yield about 2 cups of mix. If you need more just up the quantities in the same proportions)

NOTES:

• These popsicles are a great alternative to store bought sugar filled pops.
  • As always, use your own taste buds to determine how sweet you want to make your watermelon pops.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 cups Watermelon (seedless or remove seeds)
  • 3/4 cup fat free Thick Greek Yogurt
  • Sweetener: Stevia, Honey, Agave, Maple or your favorite natural sweetener to taste

METHOD

Purée watermelon in blender or food processor. Strain with a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Add strained watermelon juice back into the blender. Add yogurt. Blend well. Add sweetener to taste.

Print This Recipe...

Variations

• No watermelon on hand? No worries. Try one or more of your other favorite fruits.
  • If you want to go dairy free you can try coconut milk, almond or soy milk or yogurt instead.

Popsicle Recipe Links

1 Rosa July 27, 2010 at 8:45 am

A great idea! So delicious and refreshing.

2 Jessica @ How Sweet July 27, 2010 at 8:50 am

These are too adorable. They look really delicious too! I just bought some popsicle molds last weekend and I will have to try.

3 Maria July 27, 2010 at 9:29 am

I have an obsession with watermelon. It is my dinner every night:) I will have to have it for dessert too!

4 alison July 27, 2010 at 9:35 am

I’m so excited to make these, this afternoon….Thanks!

5 Barbara @ moderncomfortfood July 27, 2010 at 9:37 am

What a cool idea for a summer treat! I’d love to have one of these right now.

6 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit July 27, 2010 at 9:45 am

These look so fresh and delicious! Watermelon is my favorite (well it’s actually tied with sweet cherries) fresh summertime treat. (And I do love the color, too.) It’s been so hot here the last few weeks I want a freezer full of pops! Watermelon/cherry maybe? Your photos are gorgeous- thanks for sharing :)

7 Marla July 27, 2010 at 10:00 am

Betty, oh how I love the idea of watermelon & cherry combo. That just screams summer!!

8 foodwoolf July 27, 2010 at 10:03 am

Of COURSE I remember Danon yogurt pops. It was the ONLY dessert my mom would let us eat. I loved how the sweet chocolate would melt and give way to that sweet-tart frozen yogurt center. Darn. Now I’m craving them all over again! Guess I’ll just have to follow your recipe!

9 FoodFitnessFreshair July 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

These look so good. I bet your kids love them! “Water lemon” is adorable!

10 Louise July 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hey there, it was so nice to meet you at the fair. I’m looking forward to working with you in the future. We are on the same page, my post today will be watermelon lime spritzers!

11 Jenny Flake July 27, 2010 at 11:16 am

Girl, this is so beautiful!! Love these summer-licious popsicles! Gorgeous!

12 Blond Duck July 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

I’ve always wanted to make my own popsicles!

13 angie July 27, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Yes!!! I remember dannon frozen yogurt pops! Loved them! These sound amazing. Great summertime treat. Your photos are so amazing! Want to take a bite out of the pictures!

14 XiaoYen July 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

My daughters would absolutely love these! I’ve been buying boxes of popsicles. I’d love to make fresh ones using real fruits!

15 Cookin' Canuck July 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I remember those Dannon pops! Your version looks even better. Perfect for a hot day.

16 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I am SO making these come Summer! And Summer can’t come quickly enough for me! :P

17 Amanda July 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm

They are just gorgeous!!

18 sippitysup.com July 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Watermelon I must do something with watermelon yours looks so good. GREG

19 Kristen July 27, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I bet these are as delicious as they are beautiful! Beautiful!

20 Biz July 28, 2010 at 5:48 am

I totally forgot about those Dannon treats from the 80’s! Now I need to buy some watermelon!

21 lisaiscooking July 28, 2010 at 7:26 am

What a great summer treat! I need some popsicle molds!

22 cookiepie July 28, 2010 at 7:32 am

Those are GORGEOUS, and I love watermelon! You’re right, they are happy! :) I also remember those Dannon yogurt pops, so yummy. Love this post!

23 bellini valli July 28, 2010 at 7:50 am

Refreshing is the fist words that came to my lips when I saw these popsicles.

24 Cara July 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

yum! I don’t even care for watermelon that much and this sounds delicious right now. Great way to beat the heat!

25 Faith July 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm

These popsicles look like the perfect way to cool down on a hot summer day! They’re such a pretty pink! :)

26 grace July 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

yum, yum, yum, and yum! i love that pale pink color and the whole healthy treat aspect. well done!

27 FOODESSA July 28, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Oh yes Marla…I am so making these.
I dive into the watermelon and chance I get.
Add that to the pro-biotics of yogurt and I’ve got myself a healthy and incredibly tasty treat ;o)

Thanks for this recipe and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

28 Paula July 29, 2010 at 3:20 am

I’ve got plenty of Greek yogurt around here and a watermelon in the fridge so I must try these. So summery!

29 Joanne July 29, 2010 at 4:19 am

I really need to get on the homemade pop bandwagon! My mom used to make them when I was a kid with orange juice…I think it’s time I raid her cupboard for the molds. The watermelon flavoring in these sounds so refreshing! Errr. I meant water-lemon.

30 theUngourmet July 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

Gorgeous photos! Watermelon is so refreshing. My kids would love, love, love these!!

31 pigpigscorner July 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Watermelon is so refreshing! Even better frozen! Beautiful pictures.

32 Lentil Breakdown July 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm

These look so easy and pretty. I wonder if you could make them unstrained, chunky style.

33 sophia July 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Oh Marla! These looks so whimsical, so refreshing, and so pretty! I love the minimal ingredients in them, too! It’s almost 100 degrees here, so they sound so perfect right now!

34 Patti at Worth The Whisk July 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Marla, the prettiest pink post I have seen in a long time, these look soooooo summery good. Nice job!

35 Marla July 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Awwww, thanks Patti. Wish I could spend some time with all my Camp Blogaway pals. I would bring these pops!

36 Daydreamer Desserts July 31, 2010 at 8:26 am

I think I need to switch gears and make a few of these popsicles they look delicious! And I love, love, love their beautiful pink hue.

37 Tracie August 1, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I wonder, could it be done in a container like ice cream instead of pops? I have to many kids to do pops, can’t afford all the maker pieces, plus our watermelon plants seem to be in an over abundance mode and would like to not waste all that beautiful fruit.

38 Marla August 2, 2010 at 6:43 am

Tracie, I have not tried to make a larger container of this frozen yogurt. Perhaps if you froze it and at each 1 hour increment you stir it so the ice crystals soften up. I would not let it freeze all the way. Try a few hours (mixing on the hour) and see where your texture is. I do not have an ice cream maker (want one!) so I don’t know how that would behave. It is interesting what my friend Claudia does here with a food processor:
The thing to consider in her recipe though is that her ice cream has fat, where as my pops do not. The cream ingredients would change the texture because of the molecular difference. Mine would probably freeze a lot harder and become more icy quicker. This is a technique I do plan on trying soon though.
Containers: quick, cheap and easy. Small or medium dixie cups. Fill ‘em up about 3/4, cover with foil, poke a stick through. Let them freeze about 4 hours. Voila! Popsicles. You can peel the cups off or rinse quickly in warm water to release the pops from the cup molds. You can also let them sit out a few minutes and then you can pull the pops right out. That is if the kids are patient enough :)
This link is helpful as well:
Great question! xo

39 Heavenly Housewife August 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

This is right up my alley, the perfect summer treat for me, as watermelon is my favourite fruit of all.
*kisses* HH

40 Liz@HoosierHomemade August 4, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I made some Watermelon Pops last wk, but didn’t add the yogurt. I like that idea!
Thanks for sharing!
I’m new here and have just learned that you will be at Baking with Betty, I will too! Look forward to meeting you!
~Liz

41 Keri N August 12, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Just got back from William Sonoma to check out the Zoku popsicle maker. The lady that works at William Sonoma owns one of the Zoku makers. She told me that you can not use splenda or any type of artificial sweetener… so this Zoku is not a diabetic friendly purchase. She told me if you use splenda it sticks and you cant get the pops out. It simply doesn’t work with splenda. So if you are diabetic I would stay clear of this.

42 Kelly Lester May 1, 2011 at 6:53 am

Crazy Yum Marla and the prettiest pics ever. Thanks for sharing this on my FB wall!!!

43 Sarah @ pão e queijo July 5, 2011 at 10:38 am

Mmm these look so tasty and refreshing!

44 stitchinnetka July 5, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Yey, great idea with adding Greek yogurt to watermelon pulp ! my kids need protein all the time :), especially during the summer when they can’t sit still for a meal,I will be making those right now :)

45 Terr March 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I just found this website when I was checking to see on Google if I could make my own frozen yogurt pops.

It’s good to know that those Dannon pops weren’t just my imagination. They were around in the 70s, way in the 70s. I remember eating them in front of the TV when I was around 4, and that 1976.

Which begs to ask, why in the world isn’t Dannon producing them anymore? It’s amazing how much of an impression those left on our little tastebuds, almost 40 years later.

46 Ashley April 21, 2012 at 7:17 am

These popsicles look lovely. I can’t wait to try them this summer. I will have to invest in a popsicle mold, though. Great Job with the post!
~Ashley

47 Marla April 21, 2012 at 11:31 am

Ashley, you can actually use Dixie cups and anchor the sticks by poking them through a piece of tin foil.
Easy peasy :)

48 Lindsay June 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yum! I’m going to buy popsicle molds this weekend just so I can make these!

49 Kate W. June 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

I just got a popsicle maker for my wedding anniversary…and these look like a delicious way to use it :)

50 Kay June 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’ve got a 10 month old whose favorite foods are yogurt and watermelon. This would be right up his alley!

51 Zo's Mummy August 31, 2012 at 9:14 am

I wonder if anyone has used silken tofu in combination with Greek yogurt and had any results? Our little one as an oral delay and sensory issues and would be great to get a tiny bit more nutrition in these! They look GREAT!!!

52 Marla August 31, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am not sure. I say try it out and let us know how it goes!!

53 Tess October 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hi Marla,
Can you tell me please where to get / who makes the popsicle makers with the little drippy catch tray? I have my old tupperware molds but the bottoms got lost years ago, so I use wooden sticks that freeze up all sideways and wonky. Also…if anyone bumps them in the freezer in the process of reezing up I have a frozen mess in the freezer!

54 Tieghan July 25, 2014 at 8:25 pm

These look so perfect, Marla! They just scream summer!

55 Marla July 27, 2014 at 8:24 am

Thanks Tieghan ~ total scream!! :)