Summer is a true treat. Our pace slows down and our energy picks up. There is more time for play and less time spent on work. The goal is to spend more time relaxing with friends and family. It is so nice to enjoy the fresh fruit and veggies that the summer sun yields. With fewer hours spent in the kitchen we crave quick, light and simple recipes. With fast and easy summer popsicles to fresh salsas, you can spend just minutes in the kitchen and loads of time outside…..where we all belong. I will include this recipe in the Summer Fest event, this week the spotlight is on Herbs, Greens and Beans. I highlight the herb Basil in this recipe.
The fresher your ingredients are the less you need to do with them. When I think of bruschetta what comes to mind is an al fresco dinner paired with great friends and good times. Bruschetta is toasty grilled bread, fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil tossed with a fruity olive oil. Here it gets amped up and portable with gooey mozzarella. This handheld grilled cheese bruschetta makes it easy to mingle and munch. They are mini pizza delights!
Eat one and you have a snack or a mini meal. Eat two with a side salad and you have a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Beware of cherry tomato splatters as these red beauties have lots of juice!
I cut the circle shapes out of the sprouted grain bread with cookie cutters. If you choose to go smaller in cutter size, perhaps an inch and a half in diameter you can have great little passed appetizers for parties. Instead of 3 cherry tomatoes on a 4 inch round you can put just one on a smaller shape.
Your taste buds will thank you and so will your tummy. These grilled cheese bruschettas will keep you satisfied and ready to take on those lazy, crazy summer days!
A trip to the mountains helps to put everything in perspective. It’s all about enjoying time with family & friends and breathing in crisp, clean air. Experiencing everything life has to offer.
This fresh, well balanced bruschetta pairs well with the high altitude hiking we have been doing in Telluride. There has been more rain than usual, but that does not stop us from having fun. The rain brings more green trees and grass and makes the bluebird sunny skies seem even more vibrant when they appear.
Mozzarella, Basil, Tomato Grilled Cheese Bruschetta
4 servings (with 4 inch round cookie cutter)
- Adjust your ratios of tomatoes. cheese and spices according to taste preference.
- As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor your Grilled Cheese Bruschetta. My ingredient lists are wide open for interpretation.
- 4 pieces Sprouted Grain Bread (I use Ezekiel & Alvarado St. Bakery brands) cut into rounds
- one pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 to 8 ounces ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- handful fresh Basil, slice thinly
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Garlic Oil or Olive Oil
- Pre heat oven to 400˚F with rack in the center of oven. Toss cherry tomatoes with olive oil, garlic salt & pepper. Roast tomatoes for about 20 minutes or until the skins have popped and the tomatoes are softened.
- Set Broiler to low heat. Brush a light layer of garlic oil on bread. Toast bread about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from oven.
- Top each toasted bread round with about 6 cherry tomatoes. Press a round of cheese (1-2 ounces) gently on top of the tomatoes (Wear an apron & beware of tomato splatter!)
- Low broil for about 6-8 minutes the bruschetta’s until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Watch carefully at towards the end of cook time that your grilled cheese bruschetta do not burn.
- Top with fresh basil chiffonade, cracked pepper and garlic salt.
Bruschetta Recipe Links
- Tomato Bruschetta Taste Food
- Tomato Bruschetta and Pasta Jungle Frog
- Mushroom Bruschetta Kimberly Belle
- Corn and Basil Dip Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body
- Sundried Tomato, Feta and Basil Bruschetta Kitchen Simplicity