Grilled Cheese Bruschetta – Summer Fest

by Marla on August 10, 2010 · 61 comments

Summer appetizer, lunch or dinner for the home cook. Summer is a true treat. Our pace slows down and our energy picks up. There is more time for play and less time spent on work. The goal is to spend more time relaxing with friends and family. It is so nice to enjoy the fresh fruit and veggies that the summer sun yields. With fewer hours spent in the kitchen we crave quick, light and simple recipes. With fast and easy summer popsicles to fresh salsas, you can spend just minutes in the kitchen and loads of time outside…..where we all belong. I will include this recipe in the Summer Fest event, this week the spotlight is on Herbs, Greens and Beans. I highlight the herb Basil in this recipe.

Tomato, Mozzarella cheese and toasted bread

The fresher your ingredients are the less you need to do with them. When I think of bruschetta what comes to mind is an al fresco dinner paired with great friends and good times. Bruschetta is toasty grilled bread, fresh tomatoes, garlic and basil tossed with a fruity olive oil. Here it gets amped up and portable with gooey mozzarella. This handheld grilled cheese bruschetta makes it easy to  mingle and munch. They are mini pizza delights!

Mini pizza appetizer, lunch or dinner

Eat one and you have a snack or a mini meal. Eat two with a side salad and you have a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Beware of  cherry tomato splatters as these red beauties have lots of juice!

Light and healthy appetizer, lunch or dinner recipe

I cut the circle shapes out of the sprouted grain bread with cookie cutters. If you choose to go smaller in cutter size, perhaps an inch and a half in diameter you can have great little passed appetizers for parties. Instead of 3 cherry tomatoes on a 4 inch round you can put just one on a smaller shape.

Your taste buds will thank you and so will your tummy. These grilled cheese bruschettas will keep you satisfied and ready to take on those lazy, crazy summer days!

Telluride Colorado downtown views

A trip to the mountains helps to put everything in perspective. It’s all about enjoying time with family & friends and breathing in crisp, clean air. Experiencing everything life has to offer.

Views of Telluride in the Summer

This fresh, well balanced bruschetta pairs well with the high altitude hiking we have been doing in Telluride. There has been more rain than usual, but that does not stop us from having fun. The rain brings more green trees and grass and makes the bluebird sunny skies seem even more vibrant when they appear.

Tomato logo design by Matt Armendariz

Mozzarella, Basil, Tomato Grilled Cheese Bruschetta

4 servings (with 4 inch round cookie cutter)

NOTES

• Adjust your ratios of tomatoes. cheese and spices according to taste preference.
  • As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor your Grilled Cheese Bruschetta. My ingredient lists are wide open for interpretation.

INGREDIENTS

• 4 pieces Sprouted Grain Bread (I use Ezekiel & Alvarado St. Bakery brands) cut into rounds
  • one pint Cherry Tomatoes
  • 4 to 8 ounces ounces Mozzarella Cheese
  • handful fresh Basil, slice thinly
  • Garlic Salt to taste
  • Black Pepper to taste
  • Garlic Oil or Olive Oil

METHOD

1. Pre heat oven to 400˚F with rack in the center of oven. Toss cherry tomatoes with olive oil, garlic salt & pepper. Roast tomatoes for about 20 minutes or until the skins have popped and the tomatoes are softened.
  2. Set Broiler to low heat. Brush a light layer of garlic oil on bread. Toast bread about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from oven.
  3. Top each toasted bread round with about 6 cherry tomatoes. Press a round of cheese (1-2 ounces) gently on top of the tomatoes (Wear an apron & beware of tomato splatter!)
  4. Low broil for about 6-8 minutes the bruschetta’s until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Watch carefully at towards the end of cook time that your grilled cheese bruschetta do not burn.
  5. Top with fresh basil chiffonade, cracked pepper and garlic salt.

[/donotprint]

Bruschetta Recipe Links

1 Rosa August 10, 2010 at 6:11 am

OMG, those look so irresistible! Droolworthy…

2 Alison August 10, 2010 at 6:18 am

This Bruschetta looks fabulous, healthy and so creative! Your pictures are awesome, and you give so much fabulous information in just one post.

3 Maria August 10, 2010 at 6:18 am

Marla, that looks amazing!

4 Jenny Flake August 10, 2010 at 6:18 am

Oh my gosh Marla, I am wanting this for breakfast!! YUM girl :) Beautiful photos, how gorgeous is Telluride?! Wow :)

5 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather August 10, 2010 at 7:19 am

These looks super tasty, fresh and delicious! I can’t wait to try them. What a great spin on bruschetta.

6 Cookin' Canuck August 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

This is beyond beautiful! Beautiful, fresh ingredients with really lovely photos to show them off. It looks as though you had a wonderful time in Telluride.

7 FoodFitnessFreshair August 10, 2010 at 10:29 am

I definitely think fresh when I think bruschetta. I’ve actually had bruschetta twice in the past couple weeks. It’s one of my favorite summer treats. The grilled cheese version looks super tasty!

8 Juliana August 10, 2010 at 11:23 am

Oh! The grilled cheese bruschetta looks absolutely delicious, very inviting!

9 angie August 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!! My mouth is watering just looking at those photos! Telluride has inspired you yet again. Beautiful place, beautiful food! You have outdone yourself yet again!j

10 louise mellor August 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm

good ole ezekial bread… cute. this sounds luscious and full of flavor- tomatoes are so good right now…have a great weeki

11 My Man's Belly August 10, 2010 at 4:09 pm

What a great idea for a quick and easy appetizer. Plus something else I can use my little tomatoes on (if I can quit picking and eating them).

12 Faith August 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Your bruschetta looks delicious and your pics are gorgeous, Marla! The yogurt challenge sounds like a ton of fun, I’m going to have to really think about a recipe!

13 Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks August 10, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Thanks for stopping through today. That bruschetta looks so good I’m salivating – not a good thing when you’re at the library without a snack. Heading home to look for cherry tomatoes in the garden. Thanks.

14 Marla August 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Andrea, I wish I had cherry tomatoes in my garden. Problem is if I did they probably would not last very long with my lack of gardening skills :)

Aggie, if you were closer I would stop by & bring you some!

Faith, you must enter one of your fab recipes into this battle!

15 Aggie August 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Oh my goodness this is making my mouth water at 11pm!!

16 Barbara Bakes August 10, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I haven’t seen bruschetta with melted cheese before. Sounds heavenly.

17 Joselyne August 10, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Okay my stomach literally just growled! First time visiting your blog and it is a happy surprise. =)

18 Ellie (Almost Bourdain) August 10, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Your photographs are stunning! Glad to have found your blog. Love it!!

19 the Success Ladder August 11, 2010 at 1:11 am

Thank you very much for sharing this. I have subscribed to your RSS feed. Please keep up the good work.

20 Nicole, RD August 11, 2010 at 3:36 am

WOW! That looks fantastic! That first picture, especially, is GORGEOUS! I love your photos!

21 grace August 11, 2010 at 6:12 am

melted cheese gets my saliva glands going every time. every time. :)

22 Carla August 11, 2010 at 9:09 am

Oh, bruschetta… Oh, melted cheese to go with it… It’s too much!

23 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking August 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I’ve made bruschetta with a big hunk of mozzarella on top before, but I’ve never melted it… awesome idea! These look incredible – rich and warm, but at the same time cool and refreshing for summer. Great job on this lovely post, Marla!

24 Barbara @ moderncomfortfood August 11, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I’m with you, Marla. Simple, fresh, and quick really sum up what I want to cook and eat during these hot summer days. And the ingredients of your wonderful bruschetta really hit ALL of my buttons in terms of what sounds good!

25 Xiaolu August 11, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Great idea and cute presentation. Grilled cheese and tomato soup are such a classic that it only makes sense to combine the flavors in a different way.

26 Ranjani August 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Your twist on bruschetta looks wonderful! Love your photos as well.

27 One Hungry Mama August 11, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Okay. Grilled Cheese Bruschetta = brilliant! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing.

For this week’s Summer Fest theme I put together a round up of Hungry Mama recipes for greens and herbs including Kale Chips, Polenta Creamed Spinach, Hand-Held Syrian Spinach Pies, Tarragon Blackberry Grapefruit pops and more!!

Enjoy!

28 Erica August 11, 2010 at 1:44 pm

oh my yum! bruschetta is one of my favorite appetizers. Yours looks beautiful!

29 FOODESSA August 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Marla…with those photos…you made a regular bruschetta look fabulous!

Great idea with the circular shapes ;o) The kids must be thrilled.

Ciao for now,
Claudia

30 Kim August 11, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Marla,

WOW, those look fantastic. I’ve posted on bruschetta before and on grilled cheese before, but never on this, the ultimate combination. Genius!

31 Kim August 11, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Marla,

Here’s an easy, highly adaptable frozen yogurt recipe to share–you can even turn the mix into yogurt pops, if you have molds. This is an excellent recipe to get kids excited about cooking and about trying new fruits!

Enjoy!

32 Ally @ Sweet & Savory August 11, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Love the grilled cheese!

Here’s my entry for the Stonyfield contest!

Greek Yogurt Pancakes – pics, ingredients, blog title, etc. are all on that link. Please let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks Marla!
Ally

33 Marla August 11, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, Ally thanks for submitting these great looking Greek Yogurt Pancakes!

Kim, thanks for submitting your Frozen Yogurt :)

34 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm

That bruschetta looks so mouth wateringly good! We’re in the last month of Winter here and that would be so good to welcome Spring and Summer :D

35 Lentil Breakdown August 11, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Love your idea of the bread rounds. They look wonderful! (We both got a “round” this week. Mine was polenta).

36 Angie August 12, 2010 at 4:13 am

Looks so great, I love your photos!

37 Joanne August 12, 2010 at 4:37 am

Basil is far and above my favorite summer herb! I love this preparation…totally want it for lunch.

The Stoneyfield yogurt battle sounds like so much fun! I’m going to start thinking about my entry…

38 Biz August 12, 2010 at 12:57 pm

You had me at cheese on the bruschetta!

I will participate in the yogurt challenge! I hope to get it to you this weekend!

39 Marla August 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I am so excited about how many of you guys are joining in on this fun recipe battle! Everyone has such creative recipes. On Friday, August 13th I will be posting who we have on board so far. You can enter until 8/18/2010. We will have to get lots of folks to stop by and cast votes on the 20th.

40 Heavenly Housewife August 12, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Mmmm yum! You have taken cheese on toast to the next level. Delicious.
*kisses* HH

41 Ingrid August 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Cheese on bruschetta…Sold!

42 theUngourmet August 12, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I could eat this bruschetta daily! The yogurt battle sounds like loads of fun! Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

43 Caroline Wright August 13, 2010 at 6:38 am

This looks delicious– and thanks for stopping by my blog to add this to the Summer Fest party! (I totally love your site.) My addition this week was this Wax and Butter Bean Herbed Salad:

Can’t wait to see what you cook up next week for stone fruit!

44 fragolina August 16, 2010 at 1:30 am

Hello Marla. First time visiting. I like your blog alot. It’s fresh, colorful and the recipes looks delicious. Plus I love bruschettas…… particularly this one… mmm so good..

45 lisaiscooking August 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm

The melted mozzarella looks so great. i wish I could grab one right now!

46 Cooking with Coley August 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

You never cease to create delicious, beautiful and healthy spins on traditional recipes. This is one heck of a bruschetta!

47 A Canadian Foodie August 17, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Simple is always best – but you have to have exceptional ingredients – and those tomatoes look like heaven!
valerie

48 Angie's Recipes August 21, 2010 at 10:30 am

This looks mouthwatering! Simple and quick to prepare, but tastes heavenly!

49 Amanda August 22, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Brilliant! They look as delicious as they sound… cant wait to try them. And your photography… just beautiful~

50 Lynda August 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Hi Marla,
Thank you for linking to TasteFood. It was so nice to meet you last year at BlogHer Food. I hope to see you there again this year!

51 The Duo Dishes August 30, 2010 at 11:06 pm

What fun. And what a great appetizer. Those would be nice party treats!

52 Mel February 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Just an fyi, bruschetta doesn’t have such a limited definition. If you go to Italy, you’d see the compositions of it are endless. Any number of varieties & combinations of veggies (often cooked, though never cooked *on* the bread), and yes, most certainly including mozzarella, though again, this is never cooked on the bread, it is fresh. You also want to use a thicker bread, not just regular sandwich bread. =)

Anyhow, as non-authentic as this version is =P, it looks mighty tasty and I will definitely be trying it out at some point in the future. =D

53 Marla February 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Mel: It was meant to be unauthentic as are most of my recipes. Thanks for stopping by and for the great info :)

54 Courtney April 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Wow, glad I saw you post this on FB today, AMAZING! :)

55 kindra baron June 8, 2012 at 9:10 pm

This sounds (and looks) amazing! It’s definitely one I’ll have to try this summer!