Peach Pie Enchiladas

by Marla on August 17, 2010 · 51 comments

Homemade recipe for sweet enchiladas As most of you know we spend a good part of the Summer in Telluride CO. Each season is magical here. When we are here, we live here. I love to shop the farmer’s market, hang out with local buddies & enjoy time with my family. It is go, go, go & relax after the go! I love to cook while we are here, the mountains always inspire me. This week for Summer Fest the focus is Stone Fruit. My goal on Friday at the local farmer’s market was to find the perfect peaches for these Peach Cream Cheese Enchiladas. I was contacted recently to try out Tortilla Land corn and wheat uncooked tortillas. My goal: to combine my fresh peaches with warm corn tortillas & boy was it fun!

Corn tortilla with Summer fruit and cheese dessert or breakfast

There is no guilt or heaviness in this recipe. Here you can eat “Peach Pie” and feel good all around, really good. Taste buds happy, tummy happy, hips & thighs—very happy too.

White bowl with fresh fruit and tortillas

As soon as we received our box of fresh corn and wheat tortillas my mind started spinning with all the recipes I could come up with. I knew I wanted to use the corn tortillas-these enchiladas would work great with the wheat too. I also knew I wanted to go “sweet.” All these tortillas need is about 30 seconds on each side in a hot pan and voila-you have steamy hot Taqueria style homemade tasting tortillas.

Healthy fruit and cream cheese enchiladas recipe

A lot of you out there often shy away from corn tortillas (myself included) because they have the habit of breaking. These did not. They stayed together bite after delicious bite. I had success cutting them with a knife & fork and with hand held wraps. They stayed together perfectly.

Summer farmer's market in Telluride, Colorado

The trip to the farmer’s market was a blast. For a tiny town there sure is a lot of vendors and participation. I oogled all the fresh fruits, veggies, flowers, baked goods and other goodies. It was a full sensory experience.

Summertime in the Colorado mountains

I’ll never forget a few years ago when someone asked me “I understand why you go to Telluride in the Winter (to ski), but what in the world do you do there in the Summer?” That question was met with a blank stare of disbelief and utter confusion. Was I to explain or simply move on? I answered with “more than you’ll ever know.”

Blue skies & Aspen trees in the mountains

I am so inspired by the 12,000 foot mountains that surround us. The air is crisp, the sun shines bright and the energy is vibrant. Now let’s enjoy some Peach Pie Enchiladas, shall we?

Have you guys ever made sweet enchiladas? If so what are your favorite fillings?

Tomato logo design by Matt Armendariz

Peach Pie Enchiladas

2 servings (assume 2 Enchiladas for a full meal and 1 for a mini-meal/snack)

NOTES

• Adjust your ratios of cream cheese and spices & peach sauce according to taste preference.
  • My peaches were very juicy so I did not need to add water. When you make your sauce watch that they do not burn and add a splash of water if needed.
  • As always, use your own taste buds to determine how you want to flavor your Peach Pie-Cream Cheese Enchiladas. My ingredient lists are wide open for interpretation.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 cup fresh Peaches-cleaned, pitted and cut into small pieces
2-4 tablespoons Whipped Cream Cheese
pinch of Salt
pinch of Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie Spice
4  Corn or 2 Wheat Tortillas (the wheat are bigger than the corn)
Stevia or your favorite natural sweetener to taste
Cooking Spray
Optional: Thick Vanilla Greek Yogurt “whipped cream” topping

METHOD

1. Add peaches, salt & cinnamon to a small sauce pan. If your peaches are not very juicy add a splash of water. Heat on medium high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes until you have a thickened peach sauce. Taste sauce & sweeten if necessary. Let sauce cool a bit.
  2. Spray sauté pan with oil & heat on medium heat. Heat tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side. Watch carefully so they do not burn. Set tortillas aside and let cool a bit.
  3. Spread each tortilla with 1 to 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese. Add about 2 tablespoons of peach sauce on top of cream cheese layer. Carefully roll tortillas starting from one side, keep the seam on the bottom. Plate with additional peach sauce and yogurt “whipped cream” if desired. You can sprinkle with extra cinnamon too.

[/donotprint]

Peach Recipe Links

This is a sponsored post for Tortilla Land. I have been compensated for my time commitment to this brand. I only promote things that stay true to my taste and interests. The opinions expressed here are my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments. Thank you Tortilla Land for introducing us to your wonderful tortillas!

You can find these Tortillas at select Costco locations. You can also visit them on Facebook

1 Jessica @ How Sweet August 17, 2010 at 6:47 am

This may be the most creative recipe I’ve ever seen! I love it. I need to try it.

2 Maria August 17, 2010 at 6:51 am

what a fun recipe! I love it! Peaches are so good right now!

3 Rosa August 17, 2010 at 6:54 am

That is a lovely idea! I’ve never used tortillas to make desserts, but why not!

4 Alison August 17, 2010 at 7:26 am

This looks amazing and so do your pictures! I love this dessert idea! Another home-run by you!

5 Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food August 17, 2010 at 8:11 am

I prefer Colorado in the summer, perhaps because I’m a FL native and think anything below 60F is sweater weather. The three winters I spent there doing graduate studies involved as much indoor time as I could manage and no skiing whatsoever!

I love your idea here for peach enchiladas, so typical of your inventive, “what if” approach to recipe development. And, as always with your recipes, this one looks totally delicious. Well done, Marla!

6 Marla August 17, 2010 at 8:37 am

I am so happy you guys are loving my sweet take on enchiladas! I think it’s time for me to work on making some more creations like this.

7 Kristen August 17, 2010 at 8:24 am

What a delicious looking creation!

8 Jenny Flake August 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

Perfect girl! So pretty!!

9 Cookin' Canuck August 17, 2010 at 8:53 am

What pretty photos of your summertime adventures! This is a wonderful use of sweet summer peaches. I love that you can get the flavor of peach pie without having to make a crust!

10 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) August 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

My mom makes a peach cobbler with flour tortillas- it’s surprisingly good! These look like heaven on a plate! Great idea!

11 Xiaolu August 17, 2010 at 9:20 am

These look really delicious, Marla! Fabulous idea.

12 Blond Duck August 17, 2010 at 10:26 am

I love the idea of sweet enchiladas!

13 FoodFitnessFreshair August 17, 2010 at 10:44 am

Simply beautiful. Both the food and the location. Peach enchiladas sound like such a delicious innovation.

14 Heavenly Housewife August 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

My goodness, these look amazing, positively dreamy!
*kisses* HH

15 Faith August 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I am loving fresh, local peaches right now and this is such a fun way to use them! They remind me of crepes, one of my all-time favorites! I hope you’re having a fabulous vacation, sweetie!

16 My Man's Belly August 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Funny, no matter how many peaches I buy at the market…they don’t quite seem to make it into any dishes. I end up eating them out of hand and before I know it, I don’t have enough of them left to cook with. Bravo on your willpower.

And these look totally worth saving a few to cook with.

17 newlywed August 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I’ve never thought of trying a sweet enchilada. Glad to hear these tortillas don’t break. I love the taste and healthfulness of corn tortillas, but not the mess!

18 Ellie (Almost Bourdain) August 17, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Such a wonderful recipe!! Lovely photos :)

19 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit August 17, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I’ve never had a dessert enchilada! This reminds me of crepes- delicious!

20 Paula August 18, 2010 at 12:41 am

I`m going to do this soon!

Have a nice time!
Paula

21 grace August 18, 2010 at 3:06 am

you know, i like traditional savory enchiladas quite a bit, but this leaves them in the dust. what a delicious and beautiful creation!

22 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 18, 2010 at 4:21 am

What a beautiful place to visit in Summer! And I love the sound of this dessert too! I can’t wait for peach season to start here! :)

23 Megan August 18, 2010 at 5:20 am

We had a peach tree when I was growing up….if I only had known to make this back then! What a wonderful summer treat :) Can’t wait to have a blast with you at Baking with Betty!

24 Anna Johnston August 18, 2010 at 5:25 am

Peach enchiladas… what a great idea. I love it! I’m wishing summer to come soon so I can try this as I’d imagine one must have those yummy summery peaches, nothing else would do right!

25 Marla August 18, 2010 at 6:05 am

Anna and Lorraine (my Australian pals) it is so funny to think we are in such different seasons. I bet you both can’t wait for sunny summer days! I need to get out your way some day :)

26 pup August 18, 2010 at 6:07 am

I think these look absolutely amazing! Such a great summer dish!! I am officially following your blog now!! I’m digging it!!

27 Andrea August 18, 2010 at 9:01 am

That looks so good. What a great idea. I have SO many peaches and I’ve been looking for something to do with them other than peach cobbler. Thanks for the idea!!!

28 eatingRD August 18, 2010 at 9:11 am

wow, those look perfect for summer! the peaches at the farmer’s market here in Vegas have been delicious. I love the greek yogurt topping. Gorgeous pictures! :)

29 tasteofbeirut August 18, 2010 at 1:25 pm

What a brilliant and wonderful and tasty way to use up corn tortillas! Never would have dreamed of it done this way but seeing the photos I love it and want to try! Love the colorado shots.

30 Feast on the Cheap August 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Holy cow! Looks absolutely incredible. It’s torture staring at this with an empty (growling) stomach. I haven’t yet made enchiladas this sweet, but clearly that needs to change. I was shocked to see that you used tortillas, at first glance, it looked like fresh crepes!

31 Ranjani August 18, 2010 at 5:52 pm

What a great idea. Those enchiladas look like they would make a good breakfast =)

32 Angie August 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

So pretty, your dish and the family photos!

33 Jessica August 18, 2010 at 9:36 pm

These definitely sound unusual!

34 Joanne August 19, 2010 at 3:41 am

I’ve never had dessert quesdillas before but I’ve obviously been missing out! These look fantastic…a great use of stone fruits.

My roommate and her family used to go to Telluride to ski every year…she loved it there! The pictures are gorgeous…so glad you guys are having fun!

35 A Canadian Foodie August 19, 2010 at 6:27 am

Have you ever made crepes, Marla? Probably. But, I am not sure… I would definitely prefer the texture and flavour of the crepe to the tortilla in this recipe. Why did you choose the tortilla?
Valerie

36 Marla August 19, 2010 at 7:17 am

Valerie, I recently did a crepe post: Chocolate Cherry Crepes with Ricotta Cheese
You could do either for this recipe. Tortillas or crepes. I wanted to create something a little different, that’s why I went with the sweet enchiladas. You know me I love to experiment with unique ingredient twists. The corn tortillas were amazing in this recipe, I think you would be pleasantly surprised :)

37 CookiePie August 19, 2010 at 6:50 am

Beautiful photos – your kiddos are adorable! And I absolutely love the dessert enchiladas idea – brilliant. I happen to have some corn tortillas and tons of fruit in the fridge – this might be tonight’s treat! Thanks for sharing!

38 Juliana August 19, 2010 at 11:24 am

Wow, I’d love to try this just right now…love the creativity of this enchiladas…I still have lots of tortillas :-) Lovely pictures as well.

39 Lori @ RecipeGirl August 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

You’re so damn creative. These are so delicious-looking!!

40 5 Star Foodie August 19, 2010 at 7:20 pm

One of the best unique recipes with peaches I’ve seen! Just amazing!

41 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking August 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

Wow, Marla, this is a killer idea! What an awesome way to use these juicy California peaches we have access to… Beautiful photos, and thanks for sharing this lovely recipe!

42 Zibi August 20, 2010 at 6:26 pm

So tasty! Beautiful photos too.
This is my first visit to your blog and you can bet I’ll be back to read about your culinary creations :)

43 Megan August 22, 2010 at 8:30 am

What a fun way to have dessert. And the scenery, beautiful. I know why you go!

44 bunkycooks August 23, 2010 at 5:48 am

I understand your love of Telluride. I have a similar situation in NC and it is wonderful to visit for parts of the Summer! The markets here are so different from what I can find in the city in Atlanta. Your recipe looks delicious and is very creative. Those peaches look just like the South Carolina ones I have sitting in my kitchen and they are awesome! :)

45 Sophie August 23, 2010 at 6:33 am

Waw, What a neat idea!! They look so amazing & mighty pretty & tasy too!

Awesome food!

46 sanjeeta kk August 23, 2010 at 8:11 am

Lovely dessert. Nice to be here, best wishes.

47 Ingrid August 23, 2010 at 9:58 am

Great idea! Sounds yummy!

48 Nancy August 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm

These look wonderful!! (and the pics of Telluride aren’t bad either!!)
I’m with you – the mountains are truly spectacular in the summer!! Hope you all had a great time!

49 Jennifer September 16, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Wow these look yummy! Going to try them on the kids tomorrow. I just bought a whole case of peaches. We love them!