Strawberry-Mozzarella Stuffed French Toast

by Marla on September 3, 2010 · 47 comments

stuffed french toast recipe

Why have one favorite when you can have two? When I don’t know what to name a recipe I dream up all the possibilities and then explode with a title. In this case we have grilled cheese. Then it is dipped in an egg batter. It is then toasted in a hot pan until it is crispy on the edges and hot & gooey in the middle. Not only is it grilled cheese, but it straddles French Toast too. I guess you could say it is a stuffed french toast. The strawberries add sweet & fruity and the cheese adds creamy, rich, fill you up decadence.
Stuffed french toast ingredients

This recipe can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, brunch, snacks or even tossed inside your lunch box for a meal on the go. So many possibilities for a name but one thing I know for certain……it tastes AWESOME!

Stuffed french toast recipe for the home cook

If you want to go sweeter add some stevia or your favorite natural sweetener. If you wanna go really sweet dunk each bite in maple syrup. It’s your call. I went for semi-sweet. The sweetness of the strawberries mixed with the creamy, salty mozzarella combine to create utter perfection in each bite. With a steamy cop of coffee in hand you have your own little party. My favorite stevia just changed their formula a bit….it’s got more crunch like a granulated sugar. Love it sprinkled on top of this stuffed french toast.

Stuffed French Toast recipe for the home cook

If you want to keep everyone sleeping in the house make sure you cook this after they awake. The aroma as it cooks will wake even the heaviest sleeper!

Healthy Stuffed French Toast Recipe

I recently wrote a guest post for the nutritionist Robyn Webb. This recipe is suitable for a low-glycemic diabetic lifestyle. I would forgo the maple syrup & go with the stevia if you need to watch your sugars. Remember my Strawberry, Basil & Brie Omelette? Both have become favorites around here. What is your favorite cheese & fruit combination?

Strawberry-Mozzarella Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients per sandwich

NOTES:

• Experiment with your favorite cheese and fruit choices. There are so many possibilities!

INGREDIENTS

Makes one stuffed french toast sandwich

• 2 slices sprouted grain bread (my favorites are Ezekiel & Alvarado St. Bakery)
  • 3 ounces Egg Whites
  • 4 thinly sliced Fresh Strawberries (use thawed frozen ones if you need to)
  • 2 ounces sliced low fat Mozzarella Cheese
  • Optional Sweetener of choice: Stevia, Maple or Agave, Sucanat
  • Garnish: sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg or powdered sugar, or all

METHOD

Pre-heat medium sized non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Put egg whites in bowl. Add a sprinkle of salt and a bit of sweetener if desired. Stir. Layer a slice of bread with cheese and strawberries. Put second slice on top. Carefully dip both sides of the sandwich in egg whites. Place in pan with loose covered lid. Cook about 2 minutes until cheese starts to melt & bread is slightly crispy & browned. Flip sandwich. Reduce heat if needed and cook the second side for 1-2 minutes.

Print This Recipe...

Grilled Cheese Recipe Links

French Toast Recipe Links

1 Maria September 3, 2010 at 6:45 am

I might have to make this in the morning. Looks amazing! Great photos too!

2 Lori @ RecipeGirl September 3, 2010 at 6:50 am

Wow! What a creative recipe! I love the idea of eating this at all times of the day. Well done :)

3 Xiaolu September 3, 2010 at 7:06 am

This seemed a strange idea at first glance, but then I recalled that I used to make jam grilled cheese sandwiches all the time. Love this spin on the classic :).

4 srithasan September 3, 2010 at 7:07 am

Strawberry-Mozzarella French Toast Grilled Cheese is the perfect breakfast meal.

5 Kathy - Panini Happy September 3, 2010 at 7:09 am

So creative, Marla! Love the photos too. My favorite fruit & cheese combo has got to be apples and cheddar.

6 Jenny Flake September 3, 2010 at 7:11 am

This is my favorite recipe yet! Well done girl :) Have a beautiful Friday!

7 Beth September 3, 2010 at 7:17 am

Sounds fantastic!! What a great combination.

8 Jessica @ How Sweet September 3, 2010 at 7:26 am

I don’t even have WORDS! This looks incredible.

9 Rosa September 3, 2010 at 8:25 am

Mmmhhh, that looks yummy! An interesting combo.

10 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking September 3, 2010 at 9:07 am

I can practically taste this through the screen! Absolutely amazing, Marla!

11 Angie's Recipes September 3, 2010 at 10:13 am

That looks like a great breakfast for me!

12 Kristen September 3, 2010 at 10:30 am

So lovely and so tasty looking! love that last photo, especially!

13 Faith September 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Your pictures are so pretty, Marla! I bet strawberries and mozzarella are an incredible combo, and I love how unique this is. One of my favorite fruit and cheese combos is tart apples and sharp white cheddar.

14 Marla September 3, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Faith: I will never forget the first time I had apples and cheddar. It was back at SU. I thought the combo was going to be really odd, but as it turns out I was smitten. I think I need to do a stuffed french toast with that combo.

Georgia: wouldn’t it be great if we could just dive through our screens to try our friends recipe creations!

Lori: Yes, I am glad this recipe can be eaten at all times of the day because it is that good!

15 Coach Lizzy September 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm

This recipe looks great. What a fun idea!

16 5 Star Foodie September 3, 2010 at 8:02 pm

I love the idea of combining a french toast and grilled cheese into one incredible recipe!

17 Barbara September 4, 2010 at 3:51 am

Love this recipe, Marla! All good things packed in one breakfast!
And yes, I have tried a brie and basil omelet. I served one to my daughter a couple weeks ago…only because we had a sliver of brie left over. Never thought to add strawberries though, she would have loved it. Next time.

18 Heavenly Housewife September 4, 2010 at 5:31 am

This looks so scrumptious! I want to come over to your house for breakfast ;)
*kisses* HH

19 Cara September 4, 2010 at 6:58 am

Love it, Marla! I bet it would be great with brie or goat cheese or ricotta too.

And thanks for the heads up on the new stevia blend!

20 Cookin' Canuck September 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

My mind is reeling with the possibilities for this. I can imagine all sorts of cheese, fruit, and nut combinations that would taste fantastic. Great idea!

21 Marla September 4, 2010 at 9:21 am

Dara: Ohhhhhh, did you say “nuts.” OMG, a handful of toasted nuts in here would be amazing. My head is reeling with the possibilities.

Barbara: Yes, it will be great to meet you too at BlogHer Food.

Cara: I think you will love the new stevia blend. Great ideas with the brie, goat cheese or ricotta.

22 Sara September 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Marla, I’m making this tomorrow morning!!! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!!!

23 Alison September 4, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This looks AWESOME! You rock!

24 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I love off combos like this – it sounds amazing! I have all the ingredients at home can’t wait to try it.

25 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

This looks amazing with the cheese and fruit inside! I bet apples and Brie would be good too- I’m getting hungry looking at it!

26 Angie September 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Looks amazing! I wish hubby liked french toast, :)

27 A Canadian Foodie September 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

That last photograph blew me away. Absolute perfection. So gorgeous. I was completely invited in!
YUM!
Valerie

28 sophia September 4, 2010 at 9:04 pm

LOVE this. I’ve been wondering what to do with this other pint of strawberries I have. THIS is the perfect solution!!

p.s. You use Photoshop, right? Do you know of any good deals…?

29 Marla September 5, 2010 at 6:50 am

Sophia: I do use Photoshop. If there is some kind of good deal out there I know nothing of it. Through school you might be able to get a discount. I think they used to do that at SU. I am loving the new CS5, sadly my demo is about to expire!

30 The Duo Dishes September 5, 2010 at 12:18 am

Never thought to combine these two, that’s for sure. You’ve made a meal that works for any time of the day, and why not? Everybody loves breakfast for dinner.

31 grace September 5, 2010 at 5:14 am

mozz is an interesting cheese choice, but let’s be honest–it’s cheese. salty, oozy, fatty goodness. this is an awesome breakfast, marla!

32 Joanne September 5, 2010 at 5:41 am

This is making my oatmeal for breakfast look quite shabby. I am just going to have to make this for lunch. End of story.

33 Amanda September 5, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Wow what a combination and so beautiful!

34 Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food September 6, 2010 at 11:32 am

As always, Marla, you are doing something very fresh, innovative, and delicious-looking here. I’ve never even considered the idea of a breakfast grilled cheese, but it is SUCH a very good idea, with or without the syrup or stevia. Just wow!

35 theUngourmet September 6, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Oh my goodness this looks fabulous! I would never have thought to put mozzarella and strawberries together. This would be a great back to school breakfast or lunch!

36 FOODESSA September 7, 2010 at 5:23 am

Marla…strawberries for me…mozzarella for my Hubby…a match made in foodie heaven ;o)

BTW…your last photo caption is absolutely gourmet magazine worthy…just fabulous!!!

Ciao for now,
Claudia

37 Amy (Super Healthy Kids) September 7, 2010 at 9:39 am

Wow! So creative and yummy. I just got a bunch of strawberries from our co-op and need to use them like today or they are going to be rotten! Thanks for the idea.

38 Jenna September 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

Maybe you could come to my house and wake me up with that aroma? Please?
Seriously, this looks amazing.

39 Alta September 17, 2010 at 8:34 am

OMG, way to expand my horizons! This sounds so good!

40 Michelle September 19, 2010 at 4:15 am

What a creative combination, Marla. Sounds really delicious – I love sweet and salty and this hits both marks.

41 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 8, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Omgooodnesss that looks sooo delicious! Very pretty photos as well :)

42 sippitysup February 16, 2011 at 8:38 am

Breakfast at your house must be an amazing event. You do so
many fabulous versions. GREG

43 Andrea June 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I’ve been eyeing this recipe for a while now and am going strawberry picking tomorrow so I see this in my future!

44 Kirsten March 8, 2013 at 7:28 am

I made this for breakfast this morning. Garnished it with cinnamon. My first thought upon tasting it was literally “holy Moses!” Haha. Thank you for a wonderful recipe!