You guys really know how to make a gal feel special. Thanks so much for all the birthday tweets and well wishes yesterday. I am very excited to meet so many of you in a few weeks at BlogHer Food. I feel so blessed to have so many friends in my life. Happy dance to that…..and these Pumpkin Chocolate Oat muffins!
Some of us are getting very excited. There are summer people and there are winter people. I am a cool craver. Thankfully Fall has sort of arrived (at least in Southern California it has.) The air is getting a bit crisp & there is a chill in the air. Tweets have been flying around about pumpkin, butternut squash, nutmeg, cinnamon, apple pie, warm muffins & scones. I am sure hot chocolate & sugar cookies are around the corner too. I was so excited to whip up a batch of “Fall” this week.
There is nothing like opening your lunchbox to find small homemade treats inside. The kids are back to school and I wanted to make them a little something special to munch with their healthy lunches. I knew they would be seeing the other kids with store bought cookies & packaged treats. I did not want them to feel left out, so I make sure to provide them with sweets that they could feel good about. They have been enjoying these muffins very much.
I made mini muffins that are the perfect size for little hands and a nice size for a small sweet bite. Have 2 or 3 and you have a nice sized snack or mini meal. I did not make them too sweet & I chose my usual sugar free stevia. When enjoyed responsibly these muffins are a great whole grain guilt free treat.
I added real chocolate sprinkles to these muffins to add a bit of color, flavor & chocolatey greatness. These things are so neat…if you can’t find them you can use chocolate shavings or chips instead. These muffins would also taste great with peanut butter or cinnamon chips too.
Enjoy your pumpkin muffins with a cool glass of milk or a steamy cup of coffee. My friend Carrie at Deliciously Organic just posted recipes for homemade creamers. You can quickly whip one of those up to enjoy with this recipe. She has five flavors to choose from. I am tossed between the Cinnamon Strudel & Pumpkin Spice.
What are your favorite ways to use pumpkin? And what is the difference between “sprinkles” and “jimmies” anyway??
Are you a Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer person?
- 1/2 cup Oats
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Sprinkles
- 1 tablespoon melted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup Oat Flour (see not above)
- 3 tablespoons ground Flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons Stevia Powder or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons melted Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk (I used fat free, use whatever you wish. Dairy free soy, rice or almond would probably work great too.)
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup Real Chocolate Sprinkles, coat in a little flour
- Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F with rack in the center of the oven. Line muffin tins with liners, parchment paper, cooking spray or butter. Combine all of your muffin ingredients in a large bowl. Scoop muffin mix into prepared muffin tins. Press a small amount of topping mixture onto the top of each muffin. Bake for about 12 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean when done baking.
- Experiment with your favorite spice combinations.
- If you do not have Oat Flour - Grind old fashioned rolled oats in your food processor until you have flour.
- I used canned pumpkin purée in this recipe. Food For My Family has a great Homemade Pumpkin Purée post.
- Instead of chocolate sprinkles you can use the following: Chocolate chips, Peanut Butter chips, Butterscotch & Cinnamon Chips
- Instead of pumpkin purée how about Apple Sauce, Butternut Squash purée or Sweet Potato purée.
- You can go with larger muffin sizes just make sure you adjust cooking time accordingly.
Pumpkin Muffin Recipe Links
- Jeweled Pumpkin Muffins Habitually Hungry
- Maple Pumpkin Muffins A Bowl of Mush
- Pumpkin Muffins & Gingersnap Cinnamon Chip Streusel Sugar Plum
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting Pioneer Woman
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze Recipe Girl