Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed French Toast

by Marla on October 28, 2010 · 53 comments

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

On Tuesday I tweeted this “Should I go Sweet or Savory for my Thursday post??” @bodaciousgirl responded with  “The other “S” – Spooky.”  That request fit in with none of the recipes I had in the posting pipeline. Truly, I thought I was done posting Halloween. Not. Quite.

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

The one thing that is tricky about being a  food blogger is we tend to celebrate holidays a month or so before they take place. I have been in the kitchen a lot more than usual lately. I have been enjoying baking and everything pumpkin. Perhaps it is the wonder of the season or the constant need to put little treats in my kids lunch boxes. Whatever it is I love it!

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

This french toast would be perfect served Halloween morning, or any morning for that matter. As you know Stuffed French Toast is more a method than an actual recipe. It is my favorite morning breakfast. Each day when I bound out of bed at 4am, I pop one of these in a hot skillet and brew a pot of dark roast coffee.

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

While my Stuffed French Toast sizzles away in the pan, I open the window to take in a breath of cool fresh air. When it is plated, piping hot I take a seat & enjoy the dark, the stillness & this delicious, nourishing food. ahhhhhh

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

The outer edge of this breakfast sandwich is crispy from the egg, bread oil and heat. The inside is a whole other experience – creamy, almost like a pudding. Simply, amazing. Have fun decorating the tops of these with shapes that mimic your mood or the holiday season. They would be so cute with little Christmas trees, reindeer, stars, hearts or anything.

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

If you want double pumpkin flavor you can dip this french toast in my Homemade Pumpkin Applesauce. Roll the edges in cocoa powder and top with pillows of whipped cream or sweetened fat free Thick Greek Yogurt.

Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast | FamilyFreshCooking.com

Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed French Toast

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 7 minutes

Yield: 1 french toast sandwich

Serving Size: 1 sandwich

Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed French Toast

• 2 slices Sprouted Grain Bread (I like Ezekiel brand)
  • 2 ounces of Egg Whites or 1 large Egg, whipped with a fork
  • 1 ounce unsweetened Pumpkin Purée
  • 2 ounces low fat Ricotta Cheese
  • dash of Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • dash of Cinnamon
  • dash of Salt
  • Vanilla Stevia Drops or your favorite Natural Sweetener to taste
  • Cooking Spray or Butter
  • Optional Toppings
  • Homemade Whipped Cream
  • Vegan Pumpkin Whipped Cream
  • Greek Yogurt

• Spray or butter a medium skillet. Heat over medium high heat. Put egg in a bowl and (whisk if you are using a whole egg.) In a separate bowl combine ricotta, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt and natural sweetener of choice. On one piece of bread layer on ricotta mixture. On the other piece of bread layer on the pumpkin. Combine the two to make a sandwich. Dip the sandwich in the eggs and flip so both sides get soaked with egg. Place french toast in pan and cook for a few minutes until browned. Flip and brown the other side. Lower the heat if needed so this does not burn.
  • Serve with whipped cream, nuts, greek yogurt, maple syrup or a dusting of powdered sugar.
  • Notes
  • I used canned pumpkin purée in this recipe. Food For My Family has a great Homemade Pumpkin Purée post.
  • Low fat ricotta tastes the same to me as the fuller fat version. I would rather save my fat calories for a whipped cream topping.
  • You can cook up a few of these ahead of time. Seal tightly & store in the fridge. When you want one, simply re-heat in a lightly greased skillet. Talk about fast food!

Variations

• Use sweet potato purée instead of pumpkin.
  • Slice up your favorite fruit instead of pumpkin.
  • An all fruit jelly would be a fun spread with the ricotta too!
  • Instead of pumpkin pie spice, you can try a Chai spice blend with cardamom.

French Toast Recipe Links

Tidy Mom

This post has been included in TidyMom’s I’m Lovin it Fridays

1 maggy@threemanycooks October 28, 2010 at 6:09 am

Cute! I totally love this. What a fun twist on french toast!

2 Jenny Flake October 28, 2010 at 6:13 am

This recipe/post is so cute! My kids would go nuts for the powdered sugar stencil on top! So cute :) Talk soon!

3 Heather October 28, 2010 at 6:16 am

What a fabulous breakfast on a fall morning! Wish I had one now as I sit looking outside to a gray and rainy day. Perhaps this Sunday I can make this for the little ones for Halloween. Great recipe Marla. I love the Ezekiel bread too!
Have a great day!

4 Barbara Bakes October 28, 2010 at 6:21 am

Nice to have a healthy stuffed French toast recipe. This would be fun for Halloween morning.

5 Maria October 28, 2010 at 6:23 am

Fun French toast! I wish this was on my plate right now!

6 Paula October 28, 2010 at 6:23 am

wow! I`d like to try this!

have a nice time,
Paula

7 Selena Cate October 28, 2010 at 6:36 am

Oh my stars does that sound delicious. And it looks incredible too. I’m so hungry right now but am missing some key ingredients. I’m going to add them to my shopping list now.

8 Amanda October 28, 2010 at 6:36 am

Loving your food stying girl… you have a gift!! Awesome recipe as well!!

9 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. October 28, 2010 at 6:40 am

This is so cute and looks amazing! Happy Halloween!

10 bunkycooks October 28, 2010 at 6:47 am

Very spooky, cute and very pumpkin! Perfect for kids on Halloween.

11 the urban baker October 28, 2010 at 7:23 am

i am so all over pumpkin anything. bread – ricotta – pumpkin – fancy powdered sugar stencil, what could be bad? I am on my way over, with all three kids in tow! x

12 Jessica @ How Sweet October 28, 2010 at 7:32 am

Holy yum. My husband doesn’t like ricotta, which means I would get this all to myself.

13 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking October 28, 2010 at 8:01 am

This looks delicious, Marla. Thanks for sharing this briliant idea for stuffed French toast – I could totally go for this for breakfast this morning!

14 Rosa October 28, 2010 at 8:35 am

A healthy and delicious Halloween snack! What a great idea.

15 Dorothy at Shockinglydelicious October 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

That looks great! And I would note that often “French-toasting” some grainy, sprouty, seedy bread is an easier sell if kids aren’t so sure they want that type of bread. They can overlook those aspects and concentrate on the filling, and the decoration. Well done!

16 Marla October 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

Dorothy: It is amazing what we can get our kids to eat when we combine great flavors with a playful twist! In our house I only keep the sprouted grain bread around. There is so much you can do with it…..it is best toasted or like this!

17 Estela @ Weekly Bite October 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

I love this!! So creative! My daughter eats pumpkin & cheese sammies… she would love this!

18 The Duo Dishes October 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

How cute is that. Spooky and sweet work for the season. There are a lot of folks who would eat this every day of October and maybe even November!

19 Anna Johnston October 28, 2010 at 9:27 am

Oh My Goodness…, that looks almost wicked its so good. Great idea indeed ;)

20 My Man's Belly October 28, 2010 at 9:31 am

You have so many creative recipes for french toast. I love it!

I’ve been doing the pumpkin shuffle over here too. Time to roast another pumpkin….

21 Marla October 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

Pamela: I know, the pumpkin shuffle is my favorite dance these days! Gotta roast some up over here – I think this journey is far from over!

Anna: The sweet thing is this is so NOT wicked on the hips!!

Duo Dishes: How about all Fall and Winter??!!

Estela: I am wondering what kind of cheese your daughter has with her pumpkin? Sounds like her and I are on the same page.

22 FOODESSA October 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

You certainly have made sure that your children will have plenty of memories as they grow up. Marla, don’t be surprised when one day as adults they’ll ask for these exact same meals…keep theses references close ;o))

Ciao for now,
Claudia

23 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

well, i wasn’t hungry but now i’m craving this!

24 FoodFitnessFreshair October 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

Yum. I just created a semi-similar cream-cheese stuffed pumpkin muffin recipe. I love the smell and flavors of fall!

25 naomi October 28, 2010 at 10:55 am

What a great idea to make pumpkin french toast! I love that you stuffed it and themed it spooky! Your kids are so lucky to have such a great mom.

26 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 28, 2010 at 3:27 pm

You’re like me, an early riser. I love my quiet morning time :)

I’ll give your stuffed french toast a try. A lot of the time I premake breakfast for my husband and stick it in the fridge. This way he’d only have to heat up a skillet. Not sure if he can part with his beloved waffles though :)

I really like the pumpkin and ricotta combo. Pumpkin goes so well with creamy flavors, thanks for more inspiration and ideas!

27 Katrina October 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’m in love with this recipe! It’s so unique!

28 A Canadian Foodie October 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I love pumpkin – but would have NEVER come up with this idea. That is what I love about you, Marla!
Valerie

29 Mags October 28, 2010 at 5:21 pm

So fancy, so flavorful. so seasonal…. I love it!

30 Angie October 28, 2010 at 8:16 pm

This looks so good! I love the way you decorated them with the powdered sugar, so cute.

31 Cookin' Canuck October 28, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Marla, this is a fantastic idea! What a fun way for the kids to wake up on Halloween morning. Seriously, you must have the happiest kids around.

32 Marla October 29, 2010 at 5:38 am

Dara: Wish they were always the happiest, most chipper kids around. Great thing I have home cooked meals to bribe them with ;)

Sophia: “Super Woman??!!” You elevate me & I love that!

Nigella: Coolest mom? Thanks for the sweetness. I hope they think that when they are teens!

33 sophia October 28, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Sweet, savory, spooky, AND super. You are super woman, Marla! You even make a “boring old sandwich” whimsical and fun!

34 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 29, 2010 at 3:24 am

Marla, I bet you’re always voted the coolest mum on the street! :D

35 Daydreamer Desserts October 29, 2010 at 5:56 am

Nice bat stencil work! I love your healthy twist on stuffed french toast! I’m with you… nothing like enjoying your morning cup of coffee while everyone else is sleeping and the house is completely silent. ;)

36 Faith October 29, 2010 at 6:16 am

Your french toast is adorable, Marla! Love the pumpkin and ricotta, what a great mix. It’s funny you talk about how as a food blogger we ususally celebrate a holiday a month in advance — you’re so right! I constantly find myself trying to come up with new ways to celebrate holidays in the kitchen, without making, for example, a whole Thanksgiving dinner early, lol! :)

37 Karen October 29, 2010 at 8:48 am

How cute! Love the simplicity of the recipe. Yumm.

38 Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food October 29, 2010 at 9:33 am

I haven’t eaten a single pumpkin dish this season — which is ridiculous — but I’m planning to turn that around by making this recipe on Sunday morning. I love the creativity you show with your (almost signature) stuffed French toast, and this one is such a winner. You’ve got virtually all the food groups in there in one delicious, healthy, easy, and fun breakfast package. What a great taste idea, Marla!

39 Joanne October 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

Well it looks like I’ll be celebrating Halloween for a few weeks more because (a) I need to make this and (b) I have a feeling I’ll love it so much that I’ll be eating it for weeks. Amazing.

40 Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread October 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I love filling french toast with pumpkin butter but usually use cream cheese, the ricotta sounds yummy! and I LOVE the bat theme :) too fun!

41 Marla October 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Jennifer: Pumpkin butter and cream cheese is surely a winning combination. The ricotta is lighter and fluffier, but the cream cheese is richer and fabulous too!

Barbara: Yes, I do believe that these stuffed french toast combos are becoming somewhat of a signature. I love that each sandwich is a well balanced meal. I have so many more up my sleeve & I am so excited to share them with you guys!

Josie: We really learn the meaning of quiet time when we have kiddos running around don’t we!

Joanne: I bet you will be munching these for weeks like us :)

42 Medifast Coupon Codes October 29, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I have never thought to do a stuffed french toast, always just powdered sugar on top. This is the perfect option for my husbands very spoiled tummy! Tons of pumpkin puree will be made this weekend, and this is going to be added onto the list of must makes!

Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try something new :)

43 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit October 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm

This looks sooooo yummy! I love the pumpkin/ricotta combo. :)

44 Cara October 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Love it, Marla! Adding this to the endless list of uses for what is one of my favorite veggies :)

45 Angie's Recipes October 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm

This looks fun and cute! Your kids are really lucky to have such a talented mom in the kitchen!
I wish you and yours a happy weekend and holiday!
Angie

46 Michelle October 30, 2010 at 8:24 am

Sounds like a great way to start the day. Love the idea of putting those flavors together.

47 grace October 31, 2010 at 3:20 pm

tasty, festive, and cute–you win again, marla!

48 Wendy December 12, 2010 at 6:56 am

Oh my. I’m new to your site and loving all of your posts. This french toast looks incredible.

49 Andrea October 17, 2011 at 11:45 am

This is BEAUTIFUL! You take such gorgeous pictures and have such a fun collection of recipes! So glad I found your blog!

50 Charlene Regan September 25, 2012 at 6:51 am

I am obsessed with pumpkin.. I LOVED this!!!!!!!!!!