Stuffing is an essential side at the Thanksgiving holiday table. It is a shame most people save it for just once a year. As far as popularity goes it seems to be right up there with Pumpkin Pie. For this stuffing recipe I added fresh tart cranberries and diced sweet apples. They compliment each other nicely. Served from a nice casserole dish it is the perfect side to any meal.
You guys know I love using sprouted grain bread for everything – there was no exception here. I love to use it in my sweets and savories. It make wonderful bread crumbs, french toast, mini pizzas and of course stuffing! Last year I came up with some neat Stuffing Balls with Sausage. That shape is fun for presentation & it also make for a nice appetizer option.
The colors of the sweet potatoes, cranberries and fresh parsley play so nicely against the brown bread. This stuffing tastes great with my homemade Cranberry Sauce with Pear & Pomegranaterecipe.
I adore sprouted grain bread for many reasons. The top two being it is loaded with nutrients and it packs lots of flavor in each and every bite.
What is your favorite stuffing recipe? Feel free to share a link with us in the comments.
- 10 pieces Sprouted Grain Bread, cubed & toasted
- 1 large Sweet Potato (Garnet Yam) - enough to fill a half sheet pan, cleaned, skin left on, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- Olive Oil spray
- splash of Olive Oil
- a few pinches of dried Thyme
- a few pinches of cracked Black Pepper
- a few pinches of Garlic Salt
- a few pinches of Smoked Paprika
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Leeks (about 3 leeks-white & light green part) cleaned & chopped
- a few cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian Parsley, chopped. Plus extra for garnish.
- 1 cup fresh, frozen or dried cranberries (If you prefer them sweet then go with the dried. See Notes)
- 1 large Apple diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large Eggs, whisked
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Position 2 racks in the middle of the oven.
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes with a serrated knife.
- Lay bread in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Spray bread cubes with some olive oil cooking spray.
- Toast bread for about 8-10 minutes until lightly browned, tossing once to evenly cook.
- Set aside to cool.
- While you are toasting your bread you can roast the sweet potatoes too.
- Toss sweet potatoes with a splash of olive oil, some thyme, garlic salt, pepper & smoked paprika.
- Place cut sweet potatoes in a single layer on aluminum sheet pan.
- Roast potatoes for about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned & softened.
- Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F. Spray or butter a 9 X 13 oven safe casserole dish.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add leeks, celery, garlic and a pinch of each spice again. Heat about 5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the cranberries, apples and parsley. Cook a couple of minutes until cranberries start to pop.
- Put toasted bread in a large bowl. Add cranberry-leek mixture, eggs & broth and mix well to combine.
- Press a layer of stuffing into the casserole dish, add a layer of sweet potatoes. Top with another layer of stuffing and sweet potatoes.
- bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown on top.
- In this recipe I wanted the cranberries to be in their natural state. You can also use sweetened dried cranberries too. Since they take up less volume you might want to go with 1/2 cup. Soak them in hot water until plump before you add them to the stuffing mixture.
- Add a handful of toasted chopped walnuts or pecans.
- I use my 1/2 sheet aluminum cookie sheet pan for most of my toasting & roasting - in this case for the bread cubes & sweet potatoes.
Stuffing Recipe Links
- Sprouted Wheat Stuffing Balls with SausageFamily Fresh Cooking
- Challah, Wild Mushroom & Herb StuffingOnce Upon a Chef
- Cornbread Dressing Pham Fatale
- Stuffing with Seasonal Fruits and Herbs Simple Bites
- Vegan Stuffing(never home)maker
- Whole Wheat Stuffing Muffins with Sausage & Parmesan Kalyn’s Kitchen