I know we are all crazy busy getting ready for the holidays. I wanted to share one last recipe post before Santa makes his way down the chimney. I was recently asked to bake 48 homemade cookies for the annual tree lighting ceremony at my kids school.
Everyone’s go-to cookie is chocolate chip, so I decided to do a playful twist on the classic.
These Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies make the perfect dunker for your morning coffee or steamy cup of hot chocolate.
These cookies have a firm texture which means they will stay in one place when you dunk ‘em. The cream cheese adds a bit of a tangy flavor versus an all butter cookie. A friend said they are a cross between a butter cookie & rugelach.
I used light Muscovado brown sugar. I love the sweetness and molasses flavor that natural sugar adds to baked treats. These cookies are not very sweet, simply add more chocolate chips if you prefer a sweeter cookie.
I also used white whole wheat pastry flour. These ingredients make this cookie taste a bit more wholesome than the traditional cookie with white sugar & flour. I let the dough chill in the fridge overnight. This helps the flavors develop & intensify.
If you are up for something new then I suggest you try these cookies. Make ‘em as big or small as you want. I had to get 48 cookies out of this batter, so I went really small.
They were super fun to decorate too. Go with seasonal colors for whatever holiday you are celebrating. Blue & white would be perfect for Hanukkah. You can go red, pink & white for Valentines Day.
What cookies are you baking for Christmas? Do you participate in a cookie exchange?
- 2 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 ounces Unsalted Butter
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 2 teaspoons pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips (I like semi sweet chocolate)
- Cooking Spray
- Sift together flour, baking powder & salt. Beat sugar, butter & cream cheese in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg & vanilla until well combined. Add in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time until well combined. Mix in chocolate chips. Divide dough into 2 balls, flatten out and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for 30 minutes to overnight.
- Remove dough from the fridge and unwrap. Preheat oven to 350?F with the rack in center of oven. Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a coffee scoop or small ice cream scoop to keep the size of the cookies consistent. Flatten into 1/2 inch patties & decorate with sprinkles & coarse sugar. Place on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart & bake for around 12-15 minutes until the bottom of the cookies are a light golden brown. Cool cookies on racks.
- I prepared my dough the night before I baked these cookies. This gives the flavors a chance to combine. You will probably have great results if you chill the dough for just 30 minutes and then bake them.
- These cookies have a firm texture & are great for dunking.
- Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container & move to fridge after a few days.
- If you do not have Muscovado brown sugar you can use Sucanat or whatever light brown sugar you have on hand.
- If you do not have white whole wheat pastry flour you can use regular whole wheat pastry flour. Your cookies might have a deeper wheat flavor & the cookies will be darker brown in color if you do so.
- You can also freeze this dough, just wrap tightly in plastic wrap & a Ziploc. Store for about 4 weeks until ready to use. Thaw on the countertop for about 30 minutes.
- Add some butterscotch, peanut butter chips or cinnamon chips.
- I like bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can also use milk chocolate or white chocolate chips.
- Mint chocolate chips would be great too!
- Add a handful of dried cranberries, chopped apricots, dates or raisins to the batter.
- Add a handful of chopped toasted nuts to the batter. Pecans, walnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, pistachio, almonds, etc.
Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe Links
- Avocado Cream Cheese Cookies Angie’s Recipes
- Coconut Cream Cheese Cookies Vanilla Sugar
- Cream Cheese Cookies Caffeina
- Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies Sugar Crafter
- Creme de Menthe Cream Cheese Cookies Sweet Treats and More
- Jam Filled Cream Cheese Cookies Culinary Covers
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Cookies Use Real Butter