Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese & Bacon

by Marla on January 6, 2011 · 68 comments

Stack of sweet potato wedges with melted blue cheese.

If you like potato skins (and I have not found too many folks who do not) then chances are you will love this Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese & Bacon recipe. With healthy New Years resolutions, not much can beat the sweet potato in both nutrients & flavor. The small amount of fat from the cheese & bacon add tons of flavor. Fat from natural sources satisfies & keeps us from binging on the wrong stuff later in the day. Portion control is the main thing we need to shoot for to reach healthy weight goals. Not deprivation. That leads to disaster.

Sweet Potato skins with blue cheese and turkey bacon.

I suggest you make a big batch. These are great as party or anytime appetizers. Keep a bunch in the fridge for grab & go snacks. They are also wonderful over salads and with your favorite protein & veggies.

Healthy sweet potato skins recipe with blue cheese & bacon.

These have all the flavor of heavier, more traditional potato skins – but they are jammed packed with vitamins, minerals & beat carotene. Just the edges of these trimmed sweet potatoes have the skin on them so you get just a little skin & a lot of the sweetness from the potato in each bite. They are great straight out of the oven, but they can also be made ahead and re-heated for entertaining & quick meals.

Mini baked sweet potato skins with blue cheese, bacon & chives.

Chives, blue cheese and bacon are the perfect partners. Whether you use turkey bacon, pork or even vegetarian bacon you can get all the smoky flavor. No blue cheese on hand? No worries, simply substitute with cheddar, gruyere, shaved parmesan, gorgonzola, goat cheese, monterey jack or any other of your favorites. When it comes to cheese taste preference & availability makes it an easily adaptable ingredient.

Baked loaded sweet potatoes recipe on white plates.

Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese & Bacon

Makes about 48 pieces – adjust ingredients according to crowd (figure about 3-4 pieces per person)

NOTES:

You can easily re-heat these sweet potatoes in the oven at 350˚F for a few minutes until the cheese bubbles. Or place in oven set to low broil – but do watch carefully if you do this so they do not burn.

INGREDIENTS

3-5  large Sweet Potatoes (or Garnet Yams), clean & cut into 1/4 inch rounds leave skin on
Season with the following: Garlic Salt, cracked Black Pepper, Smoked Paprika & dried Thyme
Olive Oil, to lightly coat Sweet Potatoes
8 ounces cooked & crumbled Bacon – I like Organic, Nitrate Free Pork or Turkey Bacon
8 ounces Blue Cheese, crumbled
Chives, snipped for garnish

METHOD

Pre heat oven to 425˚F with rack(s) in middle. Prepare baking sheet(s) with parchment  paper or Silpat. Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil and seasonings. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet(s). Bake for about 25-30 minutes until sweet potatoes are golden brown & softened. Take potatoes out of oven, put rack in lower 1/2 of the oven and set temperature to low broil.

Top each sweet potato round with blue cheese and bacon crumbles. Broil until the cheese is bubbling & melted. Let cool in baking sheets on racks & top with snipped chives.

Print This Recipe...

Variations

• Change up the seasoning of your sweet potatoes with Curry Powder, Chinese Five Spice, Chili Powder, Basil, Rosemary, Cajun Seasonings or whatever you choose.
  • As mentioned above, if desired you can replace the blue cheese with your favorite cheese.

Sweet Potato Skins Recipe Links

1 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Hi Marla!

I assume you’re back in the US of A. Hope your trip was great! Your food looks great!

I just got a DSLR and am paying more attn to ppl’s photos and your pics just seem extra lovely in this post…they always are though!

What kind of camera/lens do you use? Your shots are magazine quality!

2 Marla January 7, 2011 at 4:31 am

Averie: Hi! I do use a digital Canon digital SLR. I shoot with mostly 2 lenses a 50mm & a 24-70 which has become my greatest new love. Congrats for purchasing a new camera. You will love how much better your photos will turn out!

3 Kat January 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm

This sounds delicious. i will definately try this combination soon

4 Rosa January 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm

To die for! A perfect combo.

5 Jessica @ How Sweet January 7, 2011 at 3:36 am

This includes ALL of my favorite things! And thanks for the shoutout.

6 fooddreamer January 7, 2011 at 3:47 am

Oh, yes please! I love blue cheese and I have some in the fridge that needs using up. Great idea!

7 Katrina January 7, 2011 at 4:36 am

This looks so good! I don’t eat bacon, but I’m a huge fan of sweet potatoes and blue cheese! Great recipe.

8 Marla January 7, 2011 at 6:14 am

Katrina: No worries, if you don’t eat bacon you can still get that smoky flavor with something like Bac-uns or turkey bacon, if you eat that :)

9 Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food January 7, 2011 at 4:54 am

Oh Marla, I think you made this beauty just for me! All of my favorite flavors are in there but in a lightened up form that is the perfect follow up to my holiday eating extravaganza. Love it!

10 Maria January 7, 2011 at 6:20 am

These are great for game days! Glad you are having fun at camp! Wish I was with you gals! Have fun!

11 susan January 7, 2011 at 6:22 am

i love how you always take something basic and put that extra spin on it. comfort food at its healthiest! x

12 Heather January 7, 2011 at 6:25 am

Love, love, LOVE! I’m such a sweet potato girl.

Beautiful as always. :)

13 louise January 7, 2011 at 6:27 am

nice Marla… who doesn’t love blue cheese and bacon, with the sweetness of the potato I bet these are irresistable.

14 Jenny Flake January 7, 2011 at 6:28 am

Another winner Marla! This really looks fabulous with the fab combo of bacon and blue cheese :) Hope you are having a blast in Mexico, can’t wait to go to lunch soon!

15 Amanda January 7, 2011 at 6:35 am

WOW!! I never would have thought of that!!! Brilliant girl! Hope you are having so much fun and letting the water tickle your toes… or heck, just jumping right in. :)

16 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 7, 2011 at 7:25 am

i love that you included the turkey bacon option…not only do i love it, it’s the only thing i have on hand right now anyway!

17 Kristen January 7, 2011 at 7:38 am

What a delicious appetizer…we love sweet potatoes around here! I’m sure we’ll love these too!

18 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking January 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

I love how you make healthy look so damn delicious, Marla! These sweet potatoes look absolutely delicious as an appetizer, snack or side dish. Genuis! Thank you for sharing and continuing to inspire me!

19 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. January 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

Great idea! Very pretty. Hope you are having a good time this weekend. Talk soon xoxox. Miss ya

20 Liz January 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I’ve been craving a sweet potato all day, Marla, and now I see these! That’s it.. sweet potatoes for dinner!

21 Angie January 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Are you kidding me! My mouth is watering. You are so right. Our taste buds can be satisfied with smaller portions. This sounds delicious. My 3 favorite things (other than chocolate) all stacked up to 1delicious treat. Brilliant!
    Hurry home, we miss you. Xoxo

22 Cara January 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I may be one of those few people who doesn’t go crazy for potato skins – but this combination has me re-thinking that!

23 Taylor January 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Love sweet potatoes, love blue cheese, LOVE bacon!! Can’t wait to try this soon!

24 A Canadian Foodie January 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Gorgeous, Marla…YUMMY… I must have met you shortly after you started your site – and my 2010 recap is up. Take a look and see if you can tell when we connected. Just curious. It seems like longer than it is!
    Valerie

25 Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} January 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

YUM!
    really that is all I’m thinking….and that I wish I was eating one now.

26 Kasey January 7, 2011 at 4:44 pm

OH! I love potato skins! This looks like a fabulous appetizer. Going to have to try it at my next party :)

27 Mandi January 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I am LOVING this for a party or dinner get-together! Such a cute idea! I totally agree with you on getting your fats from natural sources. You just can’t deprive yourself – it just leads to bad things. I think portion control is key and trying to eat as natural as you can! =)

28 Georgia Pellegrini January 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm

soft sweet potatoes with savory blue cheese sounds like a wonderful combination…add some fresh cut bacon to the mix and I just might be sold on making this a weekly ritual

29 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 8, 2011 at 5:41 am

First off – these looks delicious! I love how stackable they are.

Second – mmmm sweet potatoes. I just picked a couple up at the grocery store after a long hiatus… way too long. Thanks for the tasty recipe once again!

30 Daydreamer Desserts January 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

Really loving these Marla. And, since I *happen* to have
    all the ingredients, I think I’ll just have to make some for the
    fam tonight!

31 Maris (In Good Taste) January 8, 2011 at 11:46 am

I love love love sweet potatoes! I am definitely going to try these sometime.

32 Lauren January 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

These sound (and look) amazing! I could easily eat a whole plateful :).

33 Lentil Breakdown January 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I just roasted sweet potato disks like yours in olive oil but never thought to use them as the base for an appetizer. Great idea! Hope you’re having a muy bueno time, chica!

34 zerrin January 9, 2011 at 6:36 am

Wow! Never thought of making this! Lovely potato slices! Absolutely perfect for parties!

35 grace January 9, 2011 at 10:08 am

sweet potato coins–i like ‘em. toss in some bacon and my
    feelings move into the love territory. :)

36 Xiaolu January 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

That top shot is especially yummy. What a different way to
    serve sweet potatoes!

37 Carrie January 10, 2011 at 8:26 am

Yum, these pretty much look like an ideal appetizer for me! Three of my favorite foods!

38 Faith January 10, 2011 at 8:27 am

What flavorful little treats these are, Marla! You really are brilliant at flavor combining and this recipe is the perfect example of that…the creamy blue cheese, smoky bacon, and sweet potatoes must taste amazing together!

39 Heavenly Housewife January 10, 2011 at 10:19 am

These look great! What an awesome party food this would make. Love the combination of flavours that are going on here!
    *kisses* HH

40 FOODESSA January 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

With all these flavours on one of my favourite potato slices…how I could I stop at just one bite? I think I’ll try this with some turkey bacon next time ;0) Thanks for a great appetizer idea.

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

41 Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking January 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I would have never thought to put these together. It looks really good and I am looking forward to making them.

42 Betty @ scrambled hen fruit January 11, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Sweet potatoes are such a super food- I love having a new way to prepare them. (I have almost a half bushel of them in my basement.) These sound so good!

43 doughmesstic January 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oh yum! The only issue I have is that blue cheese and I? Not on speaking terms. DO you think I could use something else? sour cream, or ranch? Something? I am also VERY new to sweet potatoes – and am just branching out. These looked too good not to ask about!
    Hope you had a great time in Cancun…jealous! It’s SO cold here!

44 Marla January 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Susan: Sure you could forgo the blue cheese, what about a strong parmesan or romano – those tend to have less calories & still loads of flavor. Feta cheese & goat cheese would be great too!

45 Mimi January 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I love how you sliced and stacked the potatoes… Little things like that can make such a difference!

P.S. Just found and am LOVING the site!

46 The Duo Dishes January 16, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Nice, fancy option for a girls only Super Bowl party. The blue cheese is a great idea with sweet potatoes. So salty and rich.

47 Marla January 17, 2011 at 5:02 am

Chrystal: Oh I love the idea of a girl’s only Super Bowl party! Perhaps these sweet potatoes are more of a chick think – but my hubs loved ‘em too which was cool :)

48 Courtney January 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I love this idea! I am definitely making these for Super
    Bowl Sunday…

49 Sarah January 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Made these with dinner tonight and a big hit!!! I am not a
    sweet potato person and I even liked them :)

50 Skinny Fat Kid January 26, 2011 at 9:24 am

WOAH. I just came across your blog for the first time and
    these are the first thing I see! Skinny Fat Kid is obsessed with
    sweet potatoes and I have some awesome blue cheese waiting to be
    used up. These are definitely being whipped up this
    weekend!

51 Aggie February 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Wow!! These look amazing!! Never would think to use sweet
    potatoes in a dish like this.

52 Patty H March 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm

These look awesome! We have been busy trying to incorporate more healthy meals and sides into our week, and we love sweet potatoes, so I can’t wait to try them.

53 Marla March 6, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Patty: The folks that have tried these sweet potatoes have loved them. I hope you guys do too. I am addicted to sweet potatoes in sweets and savories.

54 jen December 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hey there. I’m planning on making your recipe for Xmas. I was just wondering,I don’t have chives but I have green onions and parsley. I wondered which u think I should use. Have a merry Xmas and appreciate your time) I can’t wait to try this recipe. Yummmmy!

55 Marla December 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Hi Jen! I would go with the green onions sliced teeny tiny. Have a wonderful holiday & enjoy those sweet potatoes :)

56 Lindsay March 19, 2012 at 7:01 am

Hi – I want to make these ahead for a party. Would you make them entire thing,and then stick them in an oven to reheat? Do they get soggy? Or, would you reccommend making the potatoes the day before and putting the toppings on the day of the party and sticking under the broiler? Thanks!

57 Marla March 19, 2012 at 7:38 am

Lindsay, these are not crunchy like chips, the potatoes stay soft. A fork & appetizer plate is best for serving. You can roast the potatoes the day before & then reheat with toppings. Should work :)

58 Karrie June 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm

LOVE this recipe – will be giving it a try for canapes with a twist at our new studio opening party and will think of you … probably end up passing on the recipe and your website details too if I know my friends, family and clients LOL! Spooo original but simple and tasty!

59 Karrie June 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

LOVE this recipe – will be giving it a try for canapes with a twist at our new studio opening party and will think of you … probably end up passing on the recipe and your website details too if I know my friends, family and clients LOL! S-ooo original but simple and tasty!