Part of my personality is to dive in with both feet, seize opportunities, grab ‘em & run. This past week I attended Food Blogger Camp at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya resort near Cancun, Mexico. Camp was very busy as it was filled with instruction, inspiration, playtime & extravagance. Not only was I taught valuable information from some of the most successful bloggers, but I connected with people & myself. Life is all about relations with others & having a strong personal core. Thankfully my job is built around food & food brings people together. It strengthens, unites & nourishes the body, mind and soul.
I decided that I would let my photos from Camp speak for themselves, you can view our agenda too. These items appear in no particular order as each & every part of camp was equally important to make the whole experience complete.
Top notch & practical education from Elise Bauer, Jaden Hair, Todd Porter & Diane Cu, David Lebovitz, Matt Armendariz & Adam Pearson. We soaked in all kinds of info on branding, SEO, food styling, photography. We even had a speed blogging session where each camp leader reviewed our blogs for 3 minutes a pop. Boy did I learn loads hearing their feedback!
Five Star resort living
The Grand Velas Riviera Maya is a gem. I have been to many fine resorts & I can tell you that this place caters to your every whim, wish & desire. It is all inclusive so you never need to reach for money. 24 hour room service, gorgeous rooms, lovely staff, pools & lounging areas are everywhere.
At every turn there was gorgeous views, architecture, striking interiors, jungle views, infinity pools and of course the ocean.
Carrie Vitt publisher of the blog Deliciously Organic. She is one of the most honest, smart & genuine people I know. It was so wonderful to celebrate the release of her new book called Deliciously Organic. Not only is the book gorgeous, her whole food recipes will be passed down through lifetimes.
Might Tasty Food
From the freshest ceviche, to the creamiest guacamole the dining was superb. Each morning Carrie and I ordered room service & we felt like royalty!
Even the in room coffee machine brewed up a mad good cup of espresso topped with a perfect crema.
I sure do have a lot of photos of those Conchas pastries – they were so beautiful!
Making New Friends
Sometimes you bond with people & sometimes you don’t, yes? First impressions are everything, non? Prior to camp I knew all of the team leaders other than Mr. Lebovitz. He has a fantabulous blog. He loves sweets, I love to read about them. Before you meet him you feel like you know him from his books, blog, tweets, etc.
During his session he almost had me run out of the room as he suggested words NOT to use in your blog name including “family, fresh & food.” These words do not drive him to a blog – he prefers a more descriptive name, like David Lebovitz??!! For a moment I was very scared of him – but his charm quickly changed all that.
The amount of creative inspiration at Camp was empowering and inspiring. Matt, Adam, Diane & Todd are the utmost professionals. There is a reason why they are so very successful. They share their expertise in ways that make sense. They are all self taught & that gives me the motivation to KEEP AT IT. Their individual & collective talents are awe inspiring.
Matt & Adam rock tattoos and pretty much everything.
It is always fun to catch up & learn from Todd & Lady Diane.
How to Shoot a Chef
Not only did we photograph & style food, but we got to shoot chefs – with our cameras sillies!
How sweet is this waitress!
Time with my great buddies & creating everlasting memories was worth the trip in and of itself.
More Food for Thought
A great big thank you to Bard Valley Medjool Dates who sponsored me to attend this event. I am looking forward to working with them on delicious, healthy recipes in future posts.
Campers Blog Posts
Here are posts from fellow campers. It is so fun to read about everyones unique experiences & to relive this event through their eyes.
- Flickr Food Blogger Camp Photos
- A Communal Table What I learned… Food Blogger Camp
- Adventures of an Amateur Foodie Playa del Carmen, Mexico: Food Blog Camp 2010
- Bake Cupcakes Oh Mexico! Food Blogger Camp
- Confections of a Foodie Bride Food Blog Camp: Seeing the Light
- Confections of a Foodie Bride The Greatest Job in the World
- Daily Nibbles Food Blog Camp: Hello from Mexico!
- David Lebovitz Food Blogger Camp 2011
- Deliciously Organic Food Blog Camp 2011
- Dianasaur Dishes Top 10 Things I Learned
- Food Woolf 10 Lessons Learned from Food Blogger Camp 2011
- FRANtastic Food If You’re Happy and You Know it, Eat Foie Gras
- FRANtastic Food Looking Back on Food Blog Camp, 2011
- Kitchen Corners Food Blogger Camp 2011
- Kitchen Conundrum Food Blog Camp! ¡Hola! México!
- Ladles and Jelly Spoons Food blog Camp 2011
- Matt Bites Food Blog Camp 2011 in Mexico
- Matt Bites Pool Time! Video
- Mommy Cooks Food Blog Camp 2011
- Pinch My Salt What I Learned at Food Blogger Camp
- Sally Cameron Margaritas & Food Blog Camp
- Savuryandsweet Hola from Riviera Maya
- Steamy Kitchen Food Blog Camp 2011
- The Recipe Renovator Food Blogger Camp: Molecular Gastronomy Demonstration
- The Recipe Renovator Food Blogger Camp Overview
- The Urban Baker Community Across the Globe
- Together in Food Life Lessons from Food Blogger Camp 2011
- What’s Gaby Cooking Food Blog Camp Cancun
- White On Rice Couple Food Blog Camp 2011 & Dance Video