On the heels of Food Blogger Camp I wanted to bring you a cake that epitomizes what this blog is all about. Healthy, whole food ingredients that taste great, make you feel energized & well fed. This is a banana nut bread recipe that pairs perfectly with a steamy morning cup of coffee or as pick-me-up afternoon snack. I chose to call it a “snack cake” because lets’s face it banana bread is really cake, right? It has all of the flavor of a higher calorie banana bread but none of the refined sugar and just enough healthy fat to satisfy.
From the whole grain flours to the sweet bananas – this bread/cake is different than most. Most of the sweetness comes from the bananas & the fat comes from the almond butter & sliced nuts.Pack this banana bread in your lunchbox or the kids. Serve with a cool glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee or tea.
I also have mine as a pre-workout snack. I slather a piece of this nutty cake with some extra almond butter to help get me though workouts. This is a simple cake to bake with the kids. The love to help measure ingredients, stir the batter & decorate the cake with the slivered almonds.
Slice up this banana bread so you have pieces at the ready for grab & go anytime snacks & meals. Instead of opening up overly sweetened power bars from the grocery store it is nice to have a treat like this banana bread available at anytime. My Maple Apple Pie Oat Bars and Cranberry Ricotta Cookies are two more lightened up sweets that I like to have on hand.
If you are working towards fitness & health goals in the new year, always remember to be mindful of portion sizes, even when it comes to nutrient filled sweets like this.
The slivered almonds add a nice crunch & they are fun decorations too. A small handful inside the cake would be great also. Just mix some into the batter before you bake.
A perfect cake to have with coffee & friends.
Do you have a favorite snack cake/bread recipe? Something that can easily be disguised as decadent when it is really great for you too?
Banana Almond Snack Cake
makes 8-10 servings
- Any nut butter (crunchy or smooth) could work in this snack cake. If you don’t have almond butter use peanut butter. Low salt or no salt preferred.
- I always use Nu Naturals No Carb Stevia Powder in my baking. This has the best flavor compared to any I have ever tried.
- It is OK to have some chunky banana pieces, it adds to the overall texture of the cake.
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup fine Corn Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Stevia Powder or to taste
- 1 cup (about 4 medium) very ripe Bananas, peeled & mashed
- 1/4 cup all natural Almond Butter
- 1 large Egg, whisked at room temperature
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup slivered Almonds
Preheat oven to 350˚F with the rack in the middle of oven. Prepare a loaf pan (9″ x 5″ x 3″) with parchment paper.Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Put mixture in loaf pan & top with slivered almonds. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool cake to room temperature, flip out of pan & slice.
- Add some lightly floured chocolate chips, dried fruit or more nuts to the batter. About 1/4 cup in volume should be right.
- Add some unsweetened coconut flake to the batter or on the top of the cake before baking.
Banana Bread/Cake Recipe Links
- Banana Bread Dine and Dish
- Banana Raisin Bread Our Italian Kitchen
- Best Banana Bread Sophistimom
- Pumpkin Spice Orange Banana Bread Bars Healthy Happy Life
- Trail Mix Banana Bread cuiZoo