Broccoli Cauliflower Avocado Soup

by Marla on February 17, 2011 · 65 comments

Pureed soup recipe with broccoli, cauliflower, sour cream, smoked paprika.

There is so much to love about a great big batch of homemade soup. Over here puréed veggie soups are a big hit. They are simple to prepare and you really can’t mess them up. Sometimes I roast the vegetables first other times I boil them until softened in a pot of broth. If you are not a huge fan of broccoli or cauliflower, I bet this soup will convert you to love them. A delicious creamy purée is formed when you combine the two together and add a whole avocado.

Fresh, organic broccoli and cauliflower tied with a ribbon

The nice thing about making a large pot of soup  is that you can enjoy it for many meals. You can adjust the portion size to how hungry you are and you can toss in some shredded chicken, cheese, bacon crumbles, or chunks of tofu, etc. to make a more substantial meal.

Big pot of homemade vegetable soup in blue pot.

Sometimes I top my bowl of veggie soup with a huge hunk of fish as I do in my recipe for Cauliflower Mushroom Leek Soup with Butter Fish.

Delicious homemade broccoli cauliflower avocado soup

You can top your bowl of soup with sliced Parmigiano-Reggiano, crumbled blue cheese, feta, goat cheese. How about a dollop of sour cream, thick greek yogurt or even a splash of heavy cream? The choices are yours and you really can’t go wrong.

Healthy homemade broccoli cauliflower soup for the home chef.

Aren’t these purple wild flowers sweet? I picked them on my favorite hilly walk in Laguna Beach.

Pretty lavender wild flowers in vintage glass jar.

I love avocados, but up until this point I had only used them in guacamole, salsas and salads. Putting them in this soup gives a nice creamy texture and makes this soup a bit more filling. Avocados are bursting with nutrients and healthy fats.

Healthy homemade broccoli cauliflower soup for the home chef

What are your favorite vegetables to make soup with? Do you prefer puréed soups or more chunky types?

Broccoli Cauliflower Avocado Soup

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 8 one cup servings

Broccoli Cauliflower Avocado Soup

• 1 large Onion roughly chopped
  • a few cloves of Garlic, roughly chopped
  • splash of Olive Oil
  • a few pinches of Cracked Black Pepper
  • a few pinches of Smoked Paprika
  • a few pinches dried Thyme
  • 1 bunch of Broccoli, cleaned, remove stems and break into large florets
  • 1 head of Cauliflower, cleaned and cut into large pieces
  • 3 cups hot Broth (my favorites are Vegetable or Chicken)
  • 1 pitted Avocado, cut into quarters
  • Optional Garnish
  • Sour Cream
  • Thick Greek Yogurt
  • splash of Heavy Cream
  • splash of melted Butter

• Heat a large soup pot with a splash of olive oil, onion, garlic and spices over medium high heat. When it starts to sizzle reduce heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes until lightly brown, softened and fragrant. Stir occasionally. Add the cauliflower and broccoli and cook these a few minutes with the onions. Add the hot broth to the soup pot, increase the heat back to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat back to medium, partially cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are very soft and you can mash them with a fork.
  • Remove soup from the stovetop and let it cool a bit. Add avocado. Purée with and immersion blender, blender or food processor until you get a smooth texture. Add more broth depending upon how thick you want your soup.
  • Notes
  • Any type of broth or boullion, vegetarian or not, can be used in this soup.
  • You might need to purée this soup in two batches because the volume is quite large. If so, divide the avocado in half so it mixes well into each batch. You combine all of the soup at the end and give a good mix.

Puréed Soup Recipe Links

This recipe is included in SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by KitchenAidRed Star Yeast and Le Creuset

1 Jessica @ How Sweet February 17, 2011 at 6:40 am

You may get me to eat veggies with this one!!

2 Jenny Flake February 17, 2011 at 6:42 am

Mmm, looks warm, hearty and delicious! Gorgeous photos too

3 Wenderly February 17, 2011 at 6:42 am

Mmmmmm, this looks so lovely and satisfying! I’m green with
envy about a hilly walk in Laguna Beach. Those flowers are divine!
Your photos are beautiful too!

4 Wenderly February 17, 2011 at 6:43 am

P.S. Loooove the new look! It’s beeeeeeeeatiful!

5 Amanda February 17, 2011 at 6:45 am

Gorgeous!! I LOVELOVELOVE broccoli, and love this new fun
twist on it.. and honestly, I LOVE a nice think hearty soup!! Great
job!

6 Rosa February 17, 2011 at 7:02 am

A wonderful soup! Healthy and full of flavor. Cheers,

7 Maria February 17, 2011 at 7:27 am

Beautiful photos and tasty soup recipe!

8 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 17, 2011 at 9:03 am

This is a wonderful soup, Marla! Love your photos and those
bright, springtime flavors. Thanks for sharing!

9 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 17, 2011 at 10:25 am

I love pureed soups! They are much more enjoyable than
chunky soups for some reason. I love the added avocado to this, so
unique!

10 Marla February 17, 2011 at 10:46 am

Heather: The avocado is a fun addition to this soup. I had never done a soup puree with it before & was so pleased with the results. Makes it a little more filling too with all the great health benefits & fats in the avocado.

11 Kristen February 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm

What a delicious soup…with ingredients I adore!

12 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Marla the pictures are beautiful!

I posted a Wish List post today…1st thing on it…your camera lens :) I think I am gonna buy it soon!

Soups..I like mine chunky and with texture usually. I would actually eat your soup with thick chips or crackers as like a dip too. I bet you could stir in sour cream or cream cheese and make a great dip out of it too.

The purple flowers…I want to come on your laguna walk with you!

13 Marla February 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Averie: Any time at all!! I would love for you to join my on my Laguna walks. I did actually use this soup as a “salsa” topping over my salmon the other night & it was awesome. I love the way you think with the cream cheese mixed in and crackers for dipping. Another post perhaps?? xo

14 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm

This looks so healthy and fresh! Yum!

15 Aggie February 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Now that is a healthy soup!!! Yum! pretty flowers…

16 Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) February 17, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could find yours.
This looks great.

17 food-4tots February 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This soup will definitely be a hit in my family. So
nutritious and delish looking!!

18 Shaina February 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Love the idea of added creaminess from an avocado,
Marla!

19 Bunkycooks February 17, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Marla, thank you for the link to my Roasted Tomato Soup. It
is definitely a favorite in our house. You photos are gorgeous and
this soup looks phenomenal! I have not added an avocado to my soup
before (although we love them), so I look forward to trying this
recipe.

20 Marla February 18, 2011 at 4:49 am

Gwen: Your gorgeous roasted tomato soup is a must try. Love the look of all those tomatoes & onions on the sheet pan waiting to get all caramelized in the oven. Roasting is king for flavor in my book ;)

21 Kelsey February 17, 2011 at 7:26 pm

What a yummy soup, I’ll eat anything with avocado in it. Even if there is broccoli in it! haha!

22 Allison [Haute Box] February 17, 2011 at 7:57 pm

This looks so hearty and flavorful!

23 Nancy@acommunaltable February 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Love this… and love the idea of adding avocado!! I’ve made a chilled avocado soup and added it to tortilla soup but have never done a hot, pureed soup with it – definitely going to have to give this a try!!

24 Jeanette February 18, 2011 at 2:33 am

Wow, these sounds incredible hearty and healthy. Soup is such an easy and enjoyable way to get your daily dose of vegetables.

25 Katrina February 18, 2011 at 4:35 am

This soup looks so amazing. I love how thick it appears. I’m soooo trying this after my grocery shop.

26 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 18, 2011 at 5:24 am

Oh gosh, I love all kinds of vegetable soups I don’t think I could pick a favorite. Chunky soups are great because they are so hearty and filling and purees are nice because of the smooth and soothing consistency. I think I could eat soup every day!

27 Min {Honest Vanilla} February 18, 2011 at 7:05 am

I love your photography style! Wonderful composition :)
Bringing so much freshness to a bowl of soup

28 Kate @ Diethood.com February 18, 2011 at 9:51 am

I can only imagine the wonderful texture that the avocado
added to this wonderful bowl of goodness! This soup sounds
fantastic!

29 Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen February 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Loving this soup!! In fact, anything with avocado is
excellent in my book! I must make this soon! :)

30 Miri Leigh February 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! And I agree with the general consensus… avocados are always a treat!

31 fooddreamer February 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm

This looks so good to me. I love all of the ingredients in
it, and I actually think even my pickiest little eater would like
this!

32 Georgia Pellegrini February 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This reminds me of a cross between fresh avocado gazpacho and cream of broccoli soup. This is such a great idea

33 Joanne February 20, 2011 at 6:56 am

I’ve become a big soup lover lately so this is totally hitting the spot for me…especially since I’ve been craving avocados (maybe my body telling me I need more healthy fats in my life?). I’ve made pureed summer squash soup with curry before, as well as a roasted tomato soup with sriracha and blue cheese – both delicious!

34 Marla February 20, 2011 at 7:43 am

Joanne: Now were talkin’! Love both of the soup recipes you mentioned. If they are on your blog feel free to leave the links here so we can all try them. Roasted tomato soup with Sriracha and blue cheese sounds amazing! xo

35 Hannah February 20, 2011 at 8:52 am

What a knock-out combination of healthy and tasty
ingredients! I’m still definitely on a soup kick, so I’m happy to
have a totally unique recipe again. Gotta get some avocados
now…

36 Cookin' Canuck February 20, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Easy, healthy and so comforting. I would be happy to serve
this to my family any day of the week.

37 grace February 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

this is so stinkin’ healthy, i’m beside myself. great
flavors–i LOVE the paprika in there. what an underused
spice!

38 Marla February 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Grace: That smoked paprika adds so much flavor to everything. I am addicted to the stuff – use it in most of my savories.

39 Tracy February 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’m not usually a big fan of cauliflower but this looks
amazing! Yum!

40 Baking Serendipity February 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I’ve actually never had a pureed veggie soup before, but yours looks and sounds fantastic! I need to give this a shot before the winter months come to a close…thanks!

41 Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food February 21, 2011 at 3:57 am

We’re always up for main course soups at my house, and this
lovely one is going straight into our rotation, starting tonight.
I’ve got broccoli in my garden now and my generous neighbor has an
avocado tree bearing fruit now also. Can’t wait to taste!

42 Faith February 21, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love the idea of adding avocado to this soup! I can just imagine the silkiness that it gave. Your topping suggestions sound great, Marla! For some reason, I always find myself reaching for just a little something, whether it’s a sprinkle of fresh herbs or spices or a dollop of Greek yogurt to top soup!

43 A Canadian Foodie February 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I am a soup fiend and this one will be made. It doesn’t
look so lovely (without your bewitching charm and garnishes) but it
sounds as though it would taste like a corner of heaven. I will
have to garnish like you to get hubby interested! :)
Valerie

44 Marla February 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Valerie: The food styling & garnishes help out for those picky eaters. For me – just a bowl with steam coming off is a great thing ;)

45 Sara{OneTribeGourmet} February 23, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Marla, what a lovely, hearty & delicious soup! Gorgeous pics as usual! :)

46 Sandi February 24, 2011 at 5:12 am

Marla, I recently began tracking my eating and fitness on a site called myfitnesspal.com. I hope you don’t mind–I added this recipe!! It looked so healthy and I am ready to make it. In order to calculate the nutritional value, I had to input all the ingredients and then I couldn’t help sharing!! (meanwhile, I can’t even figure out how to find recipes on there so maybe I didn’t share) I am really looking forward to making it this weekend :)
Thanks!

47 Marla February 24, 2011 at 5:34 am

Sandi: That is awesome, thanks for sharing my recipe. So glad to hear you are working on a food journal. It is great to track what we eat to maximize fitness results. No sense in working out extra hard when we simply need to eat correct portions of healthy ingredients. I need to check out that web page, thanks for sharing! Enjoy your soup.

48 Tiff May 9, 2011 at 5:12 am

This looks great! This is my first time on your blog, and I followed a link from your guest post at Oh She Glows. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to come check it out!

49 Patt September 9, 2012 at 6:43 am

Hi Marla, I just found this recipe and look forward to trying it. One question though, would you recommend freezing this soup? I’m new to the canning/freezing pursuits and would like some advice. Thanks.

50 Marla September 9, 2012 at 8:07 am

Hi Patt, welcome! I have never tried canning so I cannot give you advice on that. You can freeze soup in airtight freezer containers, leave some room for expansion. Enjoy!

51 Terra September 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Just made this today! It is great, made half a batch. Added tofu at the end into Vita Mix blender. Do not blend long, or your left with baby food, but still great.. Thanks

52 Sarah September 14, 2012 at 8:51 am

Hi Marla!

I found you blog through Oh She Glows! Love the vibe you give off!! I tried this recipe last night and LOVED it!! Simple and delicious!! What more could you ask for :) Cant wait to try more vegan recipes from you!!

Thanks

Sarah

53 Carrie September 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I just made this soup. I picked it because it looked easy and healthy. I added a dollop of non fat Greek yogurt, and lots of ground black pepper. Wonderful! I’ll definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing, and any more like this would be welcome.

54 Joy March 7, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I am on a grain-free diet, and so I made this tonight. It was so good! It reminded me of cheesy broccoli soup.

55 Marla March 8, 2013 at 4:02 am

Awesome! I am so glad to hear that Joy :)

56 Bev Owen June 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Our softening avocados never knew what hit them! This recipe is perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

57 Marla June 9, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Bev….certainly a great way to use up those avocados!