Breakfast cookies are a big hit around here. With a 4am wake up and a hankering for healthy carbs and sweets I have declared my kind of cookies an exceptional breakfast. In them is creamy ricotta cheese, whole grains, a little bit of butter and lots of lemon. You might find yourself leaping out of bed (OK, maybe not at 4:00) for breakfast like I do. I even made them gluten and nut free to get more of you guys to eat the most important meal of the day.
At the end of the month I am speaking at my alma mater Syracuse University. I am so excited to share all about my fun career with the students on campus. They have also lined up for me to be on the local TV show Bridge Street on WSYR. I believe I will be doing a cooking demo.
With the ease, simplicity and flavor of these cookies they will be perfect for my on air presentation. They personify everything I do on this blog. Healthy whole food ingredients put together creatively with respect to health and great flavor.
A slight crust on the outside yields a soft corn and oats cake-like texture in the middle. As you can see, I top a bowl of thick greek yogurt with a cookie for snack or breakfast. Serve with or without the dollops of lemon vanilla cream cheese frosting.
This weekend I attended a huge natural foods expo with the great folks from Udi’s Gluten Free Foods. We learned all about their wonderful line of products and toured the show. We also enjoyed gluten free Banh Mi sandwiches at the Nom Nom Truck. Check out a few fun photos and details from the event.
What are your favorite lemon cookies? Do you have any recipes for breakfast cookies?
- 1 cup Oat Flour
- 3/4 cup Corn Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon NoCarbs Stevia Powder or Vanilla Stevia Drops, adjust to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 large Egg, whisked
- 3/4 cup fat free Milk
- 1/2 cup low fat or fat free Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Applesauce
- zest from 2 Lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
- 6 ounces light Whipped Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Stir together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir together wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Combine both ingredients and stir together so well incorporated. Gently fold in the lemon zest.
- Take a tablespoon of batter and place on cookie sheet. This dough is very moist, shape it into a patty with your hands. Press a fork into the tops of each one to flatten.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes until bottoms are golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to wire cooling racks. Sweeten whipped cream cheese with vanilla stevia drops and a splash of lemon juice to taste. Decorate with cream cheese frosting and garnish with additional lemon zest before serving.
Lemon Cookie Recipe Links
- Buttermilk Cookies with Lemon Zest Orangette
- Gluten Free Lemon Lavender Cookies Elana’s Pantry
- Lemon Curd Cookies You Made That?
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread Cookies Fresh Tart
- Lemon Spiral Cookies Try Anything Once
- Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies Tiny Urban Baker