Dips thrill me. So do chickpeas. Creamy dips transform simple foods into even better food. One of my all time favorite dips is hummus. This simple, versatile spread can be enjoyed with pita, chips, crisp veggies, toast points, crackers, or as a creamy sauce. Hummus can be adjusted to taste. A creamy paste forms easily with garbanzo beans, tahini, spices and lemon.
I never realized how much I love to dip until after I had kids. I took awareness to the magic in it. Taking something simple like an asparagus spear, piece of broccoli or a cherry tomato and dipping it into creamy hummus, salsa or dressing. Happiness prevails.
There are endless amounts of flavors and spices you can add to hummus. You can use any type of bean too. Versatile, simple and fresh ingredients are key with the busy lives we lead.
Lately I have been obsessed with my food processor. It is a one stop shop for savory or sweet sauces and spreads. This kitchen gadget rocks my world. Really.
Chips are always great dippers. These chips I made out of Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas. A spray of olive oil, pinch of sea salt and a quick toast under a low broiler for 4-5 minutes. Voila! Crispy, healthy chips.
Recently I was sent a new cookbook to review, Big Bowl of Love by Cristina Ferrare. Not only was Cristina a super model and actress, but she sure knows a thing or two around the kitchen.
These days you can catch her cooking show on Oprah’s OWN network. Her book is loaded with simple, fresh and delicious flavors.
If you are looking for recipes that take advantage of bountiful whole food ingredients then Big Bowl of Love is for you.
It is a one stop shop for 150 amazing recipes that are meant to bring people together through food. Cristina’s bright personality shines throughout the headnotes, flavor combinations and recipe selections.
I will never forget the moment I cracked into this book at the local Starbucks. Each page flip had me excited for more.
For me cookbooks are inspirational launch pads. I gobble up beautiful photos and ingredient lists and then I re-interpret recipes to suit not only my taste palate, but the gamut of ingredients I have on hand. Cristina has a wonderful, simple hummus recipe in her book. I will not post her recipe here, I encourage you to peek inside yourself to get all the fabulous nibbles.
What is your favorite hummus recipe?
- 1 15 ounce can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Tahini Paste
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- Sea Salt to taste (about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon)
- Smoked Paprika to taste
- Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas (or your favorite tortillas)
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Put chickpeas, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, tahini, tomato paste, some salt and smoked paprika in a food processor or blender and process until well combined and smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add more oil, lemon juice or tomato paste if needed. Serve with a drizzle of oil and diced sun-dried tomatoes on the top.
- Pre-heat broiler on low heat with the rack in the middle of the oven. Trim tortillas into wedge shapes. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and lightly spray with oil, sprinkle with salt. Broil about 4-5 minutes until lightly browned and crispy. Sprinkle with some smoked paprika, or your favorite spices.
- You can make your hummus thinner or thicker by adjusting the sun dried tomato olive oil or tomato paste ratio.
Hummus Recipe Links
- Black Bean Hummus Sweet Pea’s Kitchen
- Creamy Peanut Butter Hummus How Sweet Eats
- Creamy, Fluffy, Delicious, Perfect Hummus Sopheava de Lumiere
- Hummus with Roasted Capsicum Bake Bike Blog
- Jalapeno Cheddar Hummus Eat, Live, Run
- Raw Red Lentil Hummus Sweet Potato Soul
- Sweet Potato Hummus with Olive Oil and Sumac Kalyn’s Kitchen
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for your entries. Congrats to Aggie of Aggie’s Kitchen.
Great news! The publisher has offered me an extra copy of this cookbook to share with you. This giveaway will close on Thursday, April 14th at 12 midnight PST. The book will be shipped to residents of the USA only, winner will be chosen at random.org. To enter this giveaway please do one or more of the following – leave a separate comment per entry.
- Tell us about your favorite kind of hummus, leave a link if you like.
- Follow me on Twitter @MarlaMeridith
- Become a fan of Family Fresh Cooking on Facebook
- Copy and paste this tweet or make up your own: @MarlaMeridith has a giveaway copy of @CristinaCooks book Big Bowl of Love. Enter to win here http://su.pr/2T1hQm
- Stumble this post
- Follow Cristina on Twitter @CristinaCooks
Family Fresh Cooking disclosure: I was sent a copy of the book Big Bowl of Love to review. I love it and so I am sharing it with you. A giveaway copy was offered by the publisher as well.