Welcome to the first official week of Get Grillin’ the virtual BBQ party I am hosting with Dara from Cookin’ Canuck. We start off this 6 week adventure with grilled appetizers. Not only are we gonna share recipes with you, we can’t wait to see what you have for us! When I was concepting my recipe I could not get hot dogs off my mind. What is it about salty, smoky meat (or meatless if you prefer) that sizzles and pops when you cook it? Not sure, but it thrills this gal and most kids for that matter.
Remember our awesome line-up of sponsors for this event? This week we are pleased to share Rouxbe with you. If you ever thought about going to cooking school here is your chance. We have a one year ($240 value!) Rouxbe membership for a lucky Get Grillin’ participant. This will give you full access to their wonderful cooking school. More on this below.
Perhaps my love of hotdogs makes me sound a bit pedestrian, but boy do I love this grilled summer classic. The great news is these days you can find high quality, gourmet organic hot dogs in practically every grocery store. From organic beef, to turkey, chicken, pork and even vegan ones. You can find ones that suit your preference, budget and taste buds.
These skewers are also a great option for those on a gluten free diet. I found blue corn tortillas at Trader Joe’s. They add nice color and presentation when mixed with the yellow corn ones.
I am not one for big doughy buns (I know most people love that part. I prefer more dog to bread ratio.) The lightness of the tortillas work out perfectly. These are sort of like deconstructed, healthy pigs in blankets. That was an appetizer I indulged in at every Sweet Sixteen, Bar and Bat Mitzvah I attended as a kid.
The avocado-cilantro dip adds a bit of an adult twist to these skewers. At first glance you might think guacamole, but the sour cream whipped into it makes it a bit smoother and lighter in texture. Guacamole is technically a dip anyway, so call it what you wish. All is good.
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks for all of your entries. Congrats to Heather’s Dish for taking home the win!
Rouxbe Online Video Cooking School is giving away a one-year membership (value $240 USD) to their online cooking school. The quality of Rouxbe’s content is absolutely unparalleled. What does the membership include? There are 70+ online video cooking lessons, hundreds of instructional video recipes, 1000+ close-up, step-by-step videos and personalized feedback from Rouxbe chefs. Really, it can’t be beat.
This giveaway is open to anyone (that’s right – this one’s going international) and will be open until Sunday, June 12 at 5pm PST.
The winner will be chosen at Random.org and will be notified via email, so please make sure your email address is correct. You will have 48 hours to respond to me, or a new winner will be chosen.
This week’s theme is appetizers. Remember, your recipes do not have to be made on the grill. Any backyard barbecue-appropriate recipe will do.
How to Enter
1) You can enter up to three (3) recipes in each week of Get Grillin’
If you don’t have a blog, that’s okay. Just leave your recipe in the comments section of our themed post during any day of the themed week. Just do so on either Dara’s or my blog, not both.
2) For a chance to win the Rouxbe membership, enter your recipe(s) using the recipe link widget found below. Add your link to your grilling post to the widget on either Family Fresh Cooking or Cookin’ Canuck. You only need to add it on one site, but it will show up on both.If you don’t have a blog, then enter your recipe in the comments section. Read below for instructions on earning extra entries.
3) Somewhere in your post, please include the following “Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.” This must be included for a chance to win the prize of the week.
To earn additional entries (you can only do so if you have entered a recipe), leave a separate comment for each of the steps listed below. If you don’t leave separate comments for each step, the number generator will not count them as separate entries.
- Follow Rouxbe on Twitter and re-tweet the giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@MarlaMeridith). Here’s a sample tweet you could use: #GetGrillin w/@MarlaMeridith & @cookincanuck. Share appetizer recipes for a chance to win a 1 year membership to @ROUXBE http://su.pr/2uZQxt
- Follow @MarlaMeridith on Twitter
- Follow @CookinCanuck on Twitter
- Copy and paste our Get Grillin’ Badge into your sidebar or blog post.
*You can stay in touch with Rouxbe on Facebook too.
Add ANY Appetizer Links Here
Grilled Hotdog Skewers with Creamy Avocado Dip
Makes as many as you like. Assume about 3 skewers per person. One hotdog will make about 3 skewers.
- In this post I used a combination of Chicken and Beef hot dogs. The two colors make the presentation a bit more interesting.
- 1 package Hot Dogs of your choice (I like nitrate free, organic Applegate Farms hot dogs)
- 1 or more Avocados, diced and toss with some fresh lemon juice so they do not turn brown
- Fresh Lemon Juice (to drizzle over avocado)
- Blue and/or Yellow Corn Tortillas, trim into small squares
Avocado Cilantro Dip
Makes about 1 cup of dip
- 1/2 cup fat free Sour Cream or Thick Greek Yogurt
- juice from 1 Lemon
- 1 Avocado (average Haas size is good – about 6-8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh Cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon Capers
- pinch of Black Pepper
- pinch of Garlic Salt
- pinch of Smoked Paprika
- Optional: If you love garlic you can add a clove, extra Cilantro leaves
*You will also need some small 6 inch skewers.
Skewers: Grill your hot dogs according to package directions. Let them cool a bit and cut into chunky pieces. Alternate pieces of hot dogs, avocado and corn tortilla squares. Slide on some cilantro leaves too as a garnish.
Avocado Cilantro Dip: Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Season to taste with additional garlic salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
Hot Dog Recipe Links
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs by Brooke McClay for Babble
- Kimchee Hot Dogs Week of Menus
- Pretzel Dogs Fake Ginger and Smells Like Home
- Jalapeno Cheddar Pigs in Blankets Evil Shenanigans
- Toppings for Hot Dogs Trader Joe’s
Avocado Dip Recipe Links
- Avocado Aioli Dressing Naturally Knocked Up
- Avocado Chili Sauce and Dip Patio Daddio BBQ
- Cinco de Mayo Salad with Avocado Cilantro Dressing FOODjmoto
- Taco Baked Potato Chips with Creamy Avocado Dip by Brooke McClay for Babble
- Tomatillo Avocado Dip What’s Gaby Cooking