Strawberry Applesauce

by Marla on June 9, 2011 · 63 comments

Family Fresh Cooking homemade apple sauce with strawberries

I am taking a break from all the grilling I have been doing. Here is a little something sweet, simple, fruity and refreshing. I make homemade applesauce all the time. I highly suggest you try doing it too if you have not all ready. Something extra special and happy takes place when you combine juicy red strawberries with crisp apples.

Family Fresh Cooking homemade apple sauce with strawberries

Before we get down to the business of applesauce I want to make sure you have had the opportunity to share an appetizer link in the Get Grillin’ event I am hosting with Dara from Cookin’ Canuck. Any appetizer will do, it does not have to be grilled. The more participation in this online BBQ party the more fun! Besides you can win a year of virtual cooking school over at Rouxbe. Sounds like fun huh!

Family Fresh Cooking homemade apple sauce with strawberries

Now on to apples and strawberries….

While I was chopping apples for this sauce, my kids were up to other things. A peacock and a bride were dashing around while I cooked. All the doors were open, cool fresh air was mingling with the smell of simmering applesauce.

Little girl in wedding dress costume, boy in peacock

As most of you know by now applesauce is a favorite over here. We love it on it’s own, in baked goods and layered in parfaits. Every morning I dip each bite of my favorite stuffed french toast in it. I also adore it tucked inside a hot stack of pancakes. Call me a simple gal. OK, a high maintenance sometimes simple gal.

Little girl in wedding dress costume, boy in peacock costume

Playing dress up and making applesauce are simple tasks…..

All you need to do is use your favorite apples and heat them up with a smidge of water with a few cups of fresh or frozen strawberries. I make about 8 cups at a time and it stores well in my fridge for weeks. Put portions of applesauce in 4 ounce containers for lunch box snacks. A single 1/2 cup serving is a great mini meal when paired with a healthy fat and protein dense cheese stick.

Family Fresh Cooking homemade apple sauce with strawberries

Did I tell you I am heading out to New Orleans tomorrow for a most amazing adventure with some of my favorite bloggers? Follow along on our trip to NOLA via tweets and Facebook posts. The trip is sponsored by the Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board. I am so excited!

Do you make homemade applesauce? If so do you add any unique ingredients?

Strawberry Applesauce

Makes about  64 ounces of applesauce – sixteen 1/2 cup portions

NOTES:

• Sweeten your applesauce to taste with your favorite natural sweetener. You can also choose not to. I like stevia powder. You can also use pure maple syrup, honey or sucanat (unrefined cane sugar.)
  • Adjust water to make thicker or thinner. I have found that 1/2-3/4 cup of water per pound of fruit is a safe bet.
  • My favorite apples are Pink Lady, Honey Crisp and Granny Smith. I generally use a combination of these when I make applesauce.
  • I keep the skins on the apples for added nutritional value, fiber and flavor. Once it is puréed you cannot even tell they are there.
  • Applesauce lasts a long time in the fridge and it also freezes well in an airtight container.

INGREDIENTS

• 2 1/2 pounds Apples, cored and cut into chunky pieces
  • 8 ounces fresh or frozen Strawberries, cleaned and trim off stems
  • 1 1/2 – 2 1/4 cups of Water
  • juice from 1 Lemon
  • Optional: natural Sweetener to taste

OPTIONAL GARNISH

• a dollop of thick Greek Yogurt
  • extra chopped Strawberries
  • ground spices: Cinnamon, Ginger, Cardamom etc.

METHOD

In a heavy bottomed large pot (I like to use my Le Creuset 5 1/2 quart round French oven) add apples, water and strawberries. Squeeze in lemon juice. Bring to boil over medium high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let applesauce cool a bit. Purée in blender or food processor until desired consistency is achieved. Add more water if needed. Sweeten to taste.

Print This Recipe...

Applesauce Recipe Links

1 Teawench June 9, 2011 at 7:03 am

Yet another applesauce recipe I must try. I love when you do these. Got me thinking, though, I might need to see about trying rhubarb applesauce.

2 Marla June 9, 2011 at 7:07 am

You and I must try rhubarb applesauce, great idea! I love rhubarb and have not had it in years. People have been posting the most amazing recipes with it!

3 Teawench June 9, 2011 at 7:16 am

Rhubarb is one of my favorite foods. I’m always trying to find new things to do with it. I’m not sure why I never thought of applesauce before.

4 Lisa @ www.bakedinmaine.com June 22, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Okay! I happen to have some rhubarb growing beside the house. I made two rhubarb crisps (and posted the recipe on my site) Next, I’m going to make some rhubarb apple sauce. YUM!

5 Marla June 22, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Lisa, rhubarb applesauce has been on my to-do list for some time. Gotta get me some rhubarb though, you are lucky to have it growing in your yard.

6 Lori @ RecipeGirl June 9, 2011 at 7:10 am

This looks fabulous. I need to try a flavored applesauce. I’m thinking mango.

You don’t even want to see what’s on my blog today. Really. Have a great time in New Orleans!!

7 Marla June 9, 2011 at 7:16 am

Lori, I have a mango applesauce post. LOVE that combination. Now I must dash over to your blog to see what you have going on. Here is the link to my Mango Applesauce.

8 Jessica @ How Sweet June 9, 2011 at 7:10 am

I love applesauce so, so much, as well as strawberries! Did you make this combo just for me? ;)

9 Marla June 9, 2011 at 7:16 am

Jessica, of course I made it just for you ;) You will need to fight off my kids for it though!

10 Katrina June 9, 2011 at 7:13 am

Love this! Applesauce is such a nice treat on a hot day! The strawberry idea is lovely!

11 Jenny Flake June 9, 2011 at 7:13 am

Gorgeous recipe! Perfect for summer, see you soon girl!!

12 Rachel June 9, 2011 at 7:17 am

I’ve never made my own applesauce but it seems so easy! I’ve got to make a batch sometime. Love the little fruit flowers you put in the middle of the bowls – so cute!

13 Marla June 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

Rachel, I have posted so many different varieties of applesauce it is becoming a unique challenge figuring out how to style each post. Glad you like the strawberry flowers, I thought they were whimsical & fun too! Girl, you gotta try making your own applesauce some time soon. It tastes better than anything in a jar & is way less expensive. Let me know if you try.

14 food-4tots June 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

What a flavourful applesauce!!! Can’t wait to try it out myself as strawberries are on offer now. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. ;)

15 Rosa June 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

A healthy, delightful and soothing applesauce! That combination is lovely.

16 Marla June 9, 2011 at 7:23 am

“soothing” I like that word Rosa. This applesauce is soothing. The smell as it cooks on the stove is heavenly!

17 Barbara Bakes June 9, 2011 at 7:25 am

Great idea to add strawberries. Love your cute apple dishes.

18 Marla June 9, 2011 at 7:53 am

Barbara, love when I have the opportunity to take out those little apple bowls!

19 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray June 9, 2011 at 7:26 am

There aren’t many things better than homemade applesauce! And I love your adorable apple bowls, how perfect!

20 Heather @ Heather's Dish June 9, 2011 at 7:57 am

I used to have strawberry applesauce all the time from a package and it never looked this good! Holy yum!

21 Melissa June 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

Love the idea of mixing in some strawberries! Yum!..and by the way, I’ve never seen a cuter peacock or prettier princess! ADORABLE!

22 Care's Kitchen June 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm

What a beautiful recipe…I love keeping things simple! Wonderful blog and photos too! Have fun in New Orleans – sounds like so much (delicious) fun!!!!!

23 Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian June 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I love the addition of strawberries. This sounds delicious!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

24 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 9, 2011 at 12:29 pm

The applesauce looks great and infusing it w/ strawberries sounds heavenly!

“Do you make homemade applesauce? If so do you add any unique ingredients?”

When Skylar was in that baby/toddler stage, I made homemade applesauce almost daily…throw a whole apple in the vitamix, add a squirt of agave, and in 10 secs, we had homemade applesauce :) No boiling, peeling, waiting. Fabulous! And I’d put in oranges or anything else I needed to use up.

25 Maris (In Good Taste) June 9, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I love homemade applesauce and am going to make it next time with strawberries! Your presentation is so lovely!

26 Sue June 9, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I’ve made applesauce before, but never with strawberries. Fantastic! You always make everything look so beautiful and appealing:)

27 rebecca June 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm

neat idea :-) soon enough will be back into weaning food :-) would work well

28 Marla June 10, 2011 at 6:12 am

Rebecca, this would be great for little ones. Babies and toddlers love applesauce. Granted mostly everyone I know loves it. A healthy comfort food!

29 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

We love apple sauce at our house too! We usually put all of the leftover fruits together and make a random sauce, always in a base of apples. To save time, I just blend the fruit and serve. Its raw, flavorful, and quick!

30 Marla June 10, 2011 at 6:15 am

Leanne, I have been doing that a lot too. Fruit sauces are more of a method anyway. For the sake of those folks who have never made homemade applesauce I always give measurements – meant to be loosely interpreted! Do you not cook yours? I guess if I had a Vitamix I could just blend everything without cooking first. Gosh do I need one of those!

31 Jeanette June 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Marla, thanks for sharing another fresh applesauce recipe, this time with strawberries. Now that fresh strawberries are in season, I’ll definitely have to try this recipe!

32 Jeanette June 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Forgot to mention – love the pics of your cutey kids!

33 kimberlycun June 10, 2011 at 3:51 am

wow that looks good! a nice break from the usual applesauce.

34 Molly Chester June 10, 2011 at 4:39 am

Could that peacock be any cuter? :)

35 Marla June 10, 2011 at 6:08 am

Thanks Molly, my little guy had a blast running around wearing that thing. He wanted to wear it in the car, only problem was there was no way it could fit in his car seat.

36 Kristen June 10, 2011 at 4:49 am

That peacock costume is fantastic! So is the applesauce :) My mother in law makes the best homemade applesauce. My kids devour it!

37 Marla June 10, 2011 at 6:07 am

Kristin, have you shared the recipe for your mother-in-laws applesauce? If you say it is the best I need to know her secret. Isn’t that peacock costume a hoot! Funny how he wanted nothing to do with it on Halloween, but it was super fun to wear the other day :)

38 Angie's Recipes June 10, 2011 at 5:12 am

Your pinky applesauce sounds perfect! My husband loves his spaghetti Bolognaise with applesauce.
Thanks, Marla, for sharing it.

39 Marla June 10, 2011 at 6:05 am

Angie, that is a very interesting combination. Spaghetti Bolognese with applesauce. You must share more details on that…..does he have a side of applesauce, is it in the sauce…or for dessert? I am very intrigued.

40 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 10, 2011 at 6:43 am

This looks delicious and I love the cute apple dishes you used!

41 Jennifer (Savor) June 10, 2011 at 6:44 am

LOVE LOVE…picking up some organic strawberries today so this is added to the must-make list

42 Angie June 10, 2011 at 7:30 am

What a fun applesauce. And your kids are too cute for words!

43 the urban baker June 10, 2011 at 7:37 am

strawberries are on all of our brains! this looks so good. i would eat this as a snack.x

44 CookiePie June 10, 2011 at 7:43 am

Beautiful pics! I also love to make homemade applesauce – there’s something so comforting about it! The strawberries in there look great, I bet that is a fantastic combo. And your kiddos are just adorable!!

45 Georgia Pellegrini June 10, 2011 at 8:57 am

I just love this recipe, the strawberry lends it’s natural sweetness and the color is so lovely. I can’t wait to see your pictures from NOLA, have a blast! And make sure to eat a Muffaletta and a beignet with chicory coffee, xo.

46 Lucy June 10, 2011 at 9:30 am

Enjoy NOLA – so jealous! this looks yummy and the kids look so adorable.

47 Cookin' Canuck June 10, 2011 at 10:11 am

What a great twist on applesauce, Marla. I hope you have a fantastic time in New Orleans. I can’t wait to read all about it!

48 Maria June 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

I love homemade applesauce. I just made some rhubarb applesauce. Still need to post it:) WIll have to try this next!

49 Marla June 10, 2011 at 10:56 am

Maria, I have had rhubarb applesauce on my mind too. Can’t wait to see your post!

50 Joanne June 11, 2011 at 3:20 am

have fun in NOLA, my love!

I adore homemade applesauce and would never have thought to infuse it with strawberries! What a great idea!

51 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 11, 2011 at 4:06 am

What a cute little peacock and bride you have! Yes, I do make applesauce all the time, but I have to admit I’m pretty boring with my flavor combinations. I usually make it plain or with pears and just vary the spices a bit.

52 Marla June 11, 2011 at 6:04 am

Sylvie, I love applesauce with pear too. Not boring at all girl. Even just apples and cinnamon is great in our world. The peacock and bride had a very happy day. I was thrilled to capture it in pictures, even though a bit blurry ;)

53 Shaina June 11, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This sounds just delightful, and what a great use for the strawberries that are just starting to show up here in the Midwest.

54 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels June 12, 2011 at 7:41 am

I love making homemade applesauce but I can’t wait to try out your strawberry applesauce. It looks sooo good and I love the color!

55 Marla June 12, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thanks Lindsey, pink applesauce makes me so happy!

56 Faith June 12, 2011 at 5:45 pm

This is such a fun post, Marla! The kiddos look adorable and I love your description of the fresh air mingling with the smell of simmering applesauce…it sounds like home to me! Hope you’re having a wonderful time in New Orleans!

57 roma September 14, 2012 at 9:30 am

I love the apple shaped dishes. where did you get them?

58 Food to Fitness July 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Thanks for the amazing recipe. Your kids look lovely in those dresses.

59 Jennie October 5, 2013 at 4:25 pm

made it with blueberries since we didn’t have strawberries on hand. Tasty!!

60 Marla October 6, 2013 at 4:45 am

Awesome & great way to improvise!