A BLT is a great thing. Traditionally it is served between 2 pieces of bread. The same ingredients are delish in pasta too, as Vanderbilt Wife does in her BLC Pasta Salad. *Hi* Jessie, I am your Secret Recipe Club pal this month. Surprise! Your pasta looks awesome and I have changed it up a bit. Instead of pasta I am using gluten free quinoa and instead of cucumber I am using something else green….creamy avocado.
Jessie’s blog was my treat for the ever growing and super fun Secret Recipe Club. This is a food blogger event in which we are given the name of a blog and we create a recipe based off something in their recipe box. Participants need to keep the info secret until the reveal day. Thanks to Amanda’s Cookin’ for hosting this event. Last month I made a gluten free Peach Sour Cream Walnut Cake.
This month I opted for savory….with a few sweets on the side. Blueberry juice makes a big sweet splash.
And juicy watermelon is always a hit!
The salad I am sharing is simple and is great for backyard entertaining or for meals out of the house. Pack it up in your mason jar and off you go. The jar is also a fun way to serve guests. This is a wonderful recipe for outdoor BBQ’s and picnics.
The quinoa grain has been super popular these days. Folks around the web are serving it up hot, cold and everywhere in between. It is a complete protein and is gluten free. It also comes in a lot of pretty colors. Remember my Wild Salmon with Basil Aioli Sauce? For that recipe I used black quinoa. The white grain used in this salad has a slightly more mild flavor.
You could use any color though. Quinoa even grows in a beautiful shade of red.
I can never get over how beautiful cherry tomatoes are. They come in so many vibrant shades or yellow, orange and red. They burst with flavor in the summer months.
To satisfy vegan friends you can leave out the feta cheese and use little soy bacon bits or veggie bacon.
At the bottom of this post are the other participants in this club. You can also join us in the fun…the more the merrier! Adaptations and creativity are encouraged. This is a great way to get involved with our food blog community.
How do you like to prepare quinoa?
- 1 cup dry Quinoa, prepare according to package directions
- 4 ounces Bacon, diced (I used nitrate free turkey bacon, use your favorite)
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
- a handful of chopped Cilantro or Italian Parsley
- 1/4 cup diced Green Onion
- 1 Avocado, diced and toss with lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Avocado or Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- a few handfuls Micro Greens, Baby Spinach leaves or your favorite Lettuce
- a few ounces of Feta Cheese
- Prepare quinoa, let it cool. Mix lemon juice, vinegar and oil with quinoa in a medium bowl. Add the bacon, tomatoes, cilantro and green onion and combine well. Season to taste with garlic salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice and vinegar if desired. Gently mix in the avocado. Plate the quinoa salad and top with mixed greens and some feta cheese before serving.
- I toasted my quinoa with a splash of avocado oil first over medium high heat. This gives it a bit more flavor. Feel free to use black, white or red quinoa.
Quinoa Salad Recipe Links
- My Daughter’s Quinoa Salad La Table de Nana
- Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Kalamata Olives and Mint Cookin’ Canuck
- Quinoa Salad with Summer Produce and Bocconcini Running with Tweezers
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad Cookie and Kate
- Quinoa with Blood Orange and Basil Family Fresh Cooking
- Red White and Blueberry Quinoa Bijouxs
- Sesame Tofu with Spring Vegetables and Quinoa Family Fresh Cooking
Secret Recipe Club July 2011