It has been a few months since I posted with the Gluten Free Ratio Rally group and I am so pleased to be back in the mix this month. I could not resist with the cake theme. As you know cake is one of my all time favorite foods. In my book, muffins are just little cakes in pretty wrappers, soooo I made us some Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
Whenever I see recipes with poppy seeds I crack a smile. I love the look of these tiny black specks. Sure they don’t look great poking through your teeth but that is what toothpicks are for right?! Lemon and poppy seeds are a classic pairing. They deserve to be together as much as possible. With the gluten free almond and oat flours these muffins will give you lots of fuel for hikes, workouts and blogging. You might also like these GF Blueberry Lemon Muffins that I created for the Panera Dream Day event.
The more energy we have the better, right? In the past I never thought I would be able to enjoy a muffin as a feel good food. They are usually sized way too large and filled with refined sugars, white flour and way too much fat. Here is a happy compromise for any time of day. I feel light and great after two or three of these minis.
Aren’t those little bandana print cupcake liners super cute? Gives ’em a little western kick huh!
Double wrapped is even better. Toss on your cowboy boots & eat a muffin.
Can I let you in on a little secret? While here in Telluride I have been cutting a few of these babies in half and frying them up in egg whites. Some kind of twisted & very delicious French Toast of sorts. I guess I should have a photo of that for you, but I don’t. I eat this scramble too quickly. Makes a great afternoon snack. In between blogging, hikes and gondola rides.
Speaking of the Telluride gondola….I took those pictures above and titled ’em Gondola Blogging the other day. I tweeted it and actually scared the folks who are scared of heights. I thought that was kinda funny. *tee hee*
Serve with piping hot coffee. Or a tall glass of ice cold milk…..
Also don’t forget to add a pat of butter, a smear of cream cheese or your favorite nut butter.
Thank you to Kate from Gluten Free Gobsmacked for hosting this months event. Remember you can join in too. Feel free to share your gluten free cake/muffin/cupcake recipes below.
What is your favorite kind of muffin or cake? Are you a fan of poppy seeds?
- 1/2 cup (74 grams) gluten free Oat Flour + 1 teaspoon
- 1 cup (118 grams) blanched Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 4 ounces Egg Whites (from about 3-4 large eggs)
- 1/2 cup (110 grams/4 ounces) unsweetened Light Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- zest from 1 Lemon
- 2-3 droppers full of Vanilla Stevia Drops, adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon Poppy Seeds (coat in 1 teaspoon of the Oat Flour)
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Prepare muffin pans with liners. In a medium bowl whisk together almond flour, oat flour, baking soda and sea salt. In another bowl combine eggs, coconut milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and stevia. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Taste batter and make any stevia/sweetness adjustments. Gently fold in poppy seeds. Fill muffin pans about 3/4 full with batter and top each with some more poppy seeds. Bake muffins for about 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out virtually crumb free.
- If poppy seeds aren't your thing, no worries just leave them out. Or you can add sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
More Gluten Free Muffins & Cakes on Family Fresh Cooking
Gluten Free Ratio Rally Links
- Banana Rum Cupcakes with Rum Glaze (alcohol-free!) Gluten Freedom
- Basic White Birthday Cake Gluten Free Gobsmacked
- Boston Cream Pie GF in the City
- Chocolate Hostess Cupcake Dupes The Sensitive Epicure
- Chocolate Pistachio Pound Cake The Healthy Apple
- Coconut Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Kumquat-Blog
- Confetti Cake FrannyCakes
- Czech Cherry Bublanina The Crispy Cook
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry CupcakesThe G-Spot
- Frangelico Cupcakes with Nutella Gluten Free Canteen
- Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Cake Mama Me Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Cake by Ratio Gluten Free Girl
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Family Fresh Cooking
- Lemon Tea Cake KateAlice Cookbook
- Mocha Buttercream Yellow Birthday Cake GF Doctor Recipes
- Nina’s Hot Milk Cake Zest Bakery
- Tiramisu Cake No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Traditional Birthday Cake Cooking – Gluten Free!
- Vanilla Cupcakes Healthy Green Kitchen
- White Cake with Apricots & Blueberries B and the Boy
- White Chocolate Cupcakes Gluten Freek(k)