Fruit and Egg Quinoa Breakfast Parfaits

by Marla on August 12, 2011 · 58 comments

Healthy quinoa breakfast with berries and egg by Marla Meridith

Quinoa is HOT these days. People are loving it served up savory, sweet and everywhere in between. They like it in salads and for breakfast. It is a grain-like crop that is actually a tasty seed. It is high in protein and adapts well to sauces, seasonings, spices and all kinds of mix-in’s. Recently I shared my recipes for Wild Salmon with Basil Aioli and Quinoa, and BLT-A Quinoa Salad. Today I am bringing you a sweet little jars of it that you can enjoy for breakfast or mini-meals….

By the way we have a winner for the Kitchen Aid Convection Oven.

Fresh summer blueberries and cherries in red bowl
I cannot believe we are almost in the middle of August. The summer has been flying by and it has been a blast. We are embracing the fruits of the season. We love ripe cherries and berries. The bluebird days in Telluride are stunning. There is lots to do and having home cooked meals to get us going is essential.

Mountains in Telluride, CO by Marla Meridith

With all of the hiking we have been doing here in the mountains a great big breakfast is the key to happy moods and high energy levels.

Man with children on summer hike in Telluride, CO

The wonderful thing about a meal like this is you can change it up quickly to use whatever seasonal fruits you have on hand, Once the weather changes feel free to use thawed frozen fruit or fall/winter seasonal finds. I promise you will be happy no matter what.

Healthy quinoa breakfast with blueberries and egg by Marla Meridith

Of course you don’t need to use black quinoa in this recipe. White, red, rainbow. Anything will do. If you do not have this seed on hand sub in some oat bran, oatmeal, amaranth, buckwheat, etc. These parfaits are friendly to those on gluten free diets.

Healthy quinoa breakfast with berries and egg by Marla Meridith

Serve up cool or hot. Either way is wonderful and a bit different. When you heat the fruit it gets sweet and  saucy.

Healthy quinoa breakfast with berries and egg by Marla Meridith

Lately I love using mason jars both for presentation and storage. I prepare a few of these layer breakfast parfaits ahead of time. They last a few days in the fridge and can be re-heated as needed. You just unscrew the lid and pop ‘em in the microwave until warm. Now there are no excuses to stop at a fast food joint. Right?

Healthy quinoa breakfast with berries and egg by Marla Meridith

Do you have  favorite breakfast parfait? How do you like to prepare quinoa?

Fruit and Egg Quinoa Breakfast Parfaits

1 serving (this makes a full breakfast, you can go bigger or smaller if needed)

NOTES:

• Feel free to use whatever seasonal fruits you have on hand. Dried fruit would be great too. If using frozen fruit, let it thaw and drain before using.
  • I prepare a few of these layer breakfast parfaits ahead of time. Store in the mason jars and re-heat as needed. They last a few days in the fridge.
  • Make lots quinoa ahead of time. Leftovers are a great thing for quick ‘n easy breakfasts. Besides you can use it for lunches, dinners, etc.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cup dry Quinoa, cook according to package directions. You will have lots to use for other parfaits or what-not.
  • 1 whole large Egg + 2 Egg Whites (2 ounces)
  • pinch of fine Sea Salt
  • a splash of Milk, Unsweetened Coconut Milk or your favorite
  • a few drops of English Toffee or Vanilla Stevia Drops if desired
  • fresh Berries, Cherries, Currants, Pomegranate, Peach or whatever you have on hand, cut into bite sized pieces
  • a dash of Cinnamon or your favorite spice

OPTIONAL TOPPINGS

• Toasted Nuts
  • Unsweetened Coconut Flake
  • Dark Chocolate Chips
  • a spoonful of natural Peanut, Almond, Cashew Butter
  • extra Coconut Milk, Milk or any milk you like
  • some thick Greek Yogurt
  • a splash of Heavy Cream

METHOD

Divide cooked quinoa into 4 equal portions. Whisk eggs with some sea salt and a splash of milk. Add a few drops of stevia if you like. Scramble eggs in a small skillet. Layer eggs, quinoa and berries in bowls or mason jars. Top with fresh fruit. Serve immediately or seal in jars/containers in the fridge. Heat as needed.

Print This Recipe...

Quinoa Breakfast Links

*This post has been added to TidyMom’s I’m Lovin’ it Fridays

1 Amanda August 12, 2011 at 6:17 am

Those are beautiful Marla!

2 Maria August 12, 2011 at 6:17 am

Beautiful photos and I would love to start my morning with this parfait!

3 Rosa August 12, 2011 at 6:18 am

A delicious looking creation! What a healthy breakfast item.

4 brandi August 12, 2011 at 6:39 am

this is such a great idea, Marla! I love that you can change this up with the seasons and whatever fruit is ripe.

5 Deliciously Organic August 12, 2011 at 6:42 am

What a gorgeous breakfast! I usually prepare quinoa as a salad or side, and I’ll admit, I’ve never tried it with sweet flavors. I’ll have the give the parfait a try. Love the presentation!

6 Marla August 12, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thanks Carrie! We love quinoa as a savory too. Just a really quick, easy, healthy, versatile ingredient!

7 Kristen August 12, 2011 at 6:49 am

Absolutely lovely, hearty breakfast. This would be a great start for a school day!

8 susan August 12, 2011 at 7:53 am

I love quinoa for breakfast and make it warm with oats and soy milk. So good. I love this cold version, besides who wouldn’t love a parfait for breakfast?

9 Snippets of Thyme August 12, 2011 at 7:56 am

What a wonderful find coming here to your blog after reading your lovely comment over at “Snippets”. I have been having fun with quinoa as well recently. Your photos are beautiful and those mountain scenes look gorgeous.

10 Diane August 12, 2011 at 8:03 am

This sounds really yummy, but guess I will have to use oat bran I have never seen Quinoa around, but on the other hand as I have not heard of it I have not looked for it :) Diane

11 Lucy August 12, 2011 at 8:37 am

Love quinoa for breakfast – usually as a porridge – but this looks like a great way to start the day. x

12 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray August 12, 2011 at 8:42 am

Yum! I love quinoa and have been wanting to start including it in my breakfasts. Can’t wait to try this!

13 Katrina August 12, 2011 at 9:16 am

This is such a healthy breakfast idea! I love how protein packed it is. Awesome idea!

14 Kimberley August 12, 2011 at 9:35 am

I love hiking – those images are really lovely. And this breakfast! This is the kind of breakfast I can get behind.

15 teresa August 12, 2011 at 10:49 am

Printing this recipe BIG~time!
Everything you make is CUTE and HAPPY and HEALTHY!
You make me SMILE…that’s for sure!
Look at your adorable family hiking these trails!
I am telling you…I have fallen DEEP in love with Telluride!
Do you have a fear of BEARS on the trails?
I have a phobia of bears and it is a major hinderance in my life.
I think I need to get hypnotized. {not kidding} ;o)
ENJOY Telluride my friend.
I LOVE this happy~healthy recipe.
Love the black quinoa!
xo

16 Marla August 12, 2011 at 11:24 am

Teresa, interesting you should ask about the bears. They have been EVERYWHERE this year. My friends showed me some on video the other day & the bears were right outside where we stay. I try to hike with buddies and I say a lot of prayers ;) I have not seen any yet. Yes, I get freaked but the wild life is part of what makes these mountain towns spectacular. I do hike daily and I need to get some bear bells desperately. We make a lot of noise and try to hold conversation the whole time so we don’t sneak up on anyone ;) Bottom line: I get your fear. I think what freaks me more or equal to are mountain lions. Arghhhhh….
I am still gonna get you to hike with me some day!! XXOO

17 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free August 12, 2011 at 11:10 am

I used to be on a huge quinoa kick, but kind of got out of the habit. This looks fabulous, though! Never tried a “sweet” version, only savory.

18 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I love how versatile quinoa can be used. And your version is simply mouth-watering – savory and sweet. Happy hiking and have fun before summer ends :)

19 Marla August 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Thanks Kiran! Doesn’t take much effort to have fun around here! Non stop action with bright blue skies :) Glad you like the parfaits and hope you guys have a wonderful last few weeks of summer too!

20 Angie August 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Breath taking photos as always. Love the one of the family hiking down the trail
That is the perfect breakfast in a jar. Everything you need to jumpstart your day. You are incredibly creative! Love it!

21 Marla August 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Angie, you will find me with lots of breakfasts in jars this year at Starbucks after we drop the kids at school. Make that breakfast #2 for the day :) It was life changing taking the kids down Telluride Trail for the very first time as a family with NO baby jogger.

22 Brooke August 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm

What a lovely and healthy to-go snack! Thanks for the great idea. Taking it!

23 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

The food is pretty, but the scenery and the special times you are having is just…magical!!! Wow my friend, so happy for you!! It looks every bit as beautiful as I knew it was…and even more so.

You have mad, crazy photography skills. You blow me away, daily, with all these images!

24 Marla August 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Averie,
“mad, crazy photography skills”
You just made my day. Really.
xxoo

25 Katheen August 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm

That looks SO good!!!! :D

26 JulieD August 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Marla, how easy and simple and gorgeous at the same time. I love the hiking pictures too!

27 Marla August 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hey Julie, soooooo simple & easy. That is the very beauty of whole foods. Glad you like the “recipe” :)

28 Nancy@acommunaltable August 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Wonderful idea Marla!!! A perfect breakfast for anytime but especially before hiking!
Looks like you all are having a fabulous time!!

29 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm

So pretty! I love that you used a darker colored quinoa in here. Makes it stand out nicely :)

30 Maris (In Good Taste) August 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Cute and trendy in the jars!

31 Angie's Recipes August 12, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Parfaits for breakfast is hot too! Very beautiful clicks.

32 Joanne August 13, 2011 at 3:39 am

I’ve loved quinoa since BEFORE it was hot but I’ve never had it in a sweet dish! These parfaits look like the perfect place to start! Gorgeous photography, bursting with color!

33 Sylvia@bascooking August 13, 2011 at 4:13 am

Looks very healthy and delicious.Perfect energizer breakfast for hiking. And such a beautiful place

34 newlywed August 13, 2011 at 4:45 am

Omg, I love these — so pretty and cute in the jars!

35 newlywed August 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

Sorry — I hit the wrong button! I’ve made the quinoa pudding recipe from Kim Boyce’s Good to the Grain. Have you tried that yet? I think that I sort of, might have, um, eaten it for breakfast once or twice, though it’s meant more as a dessert…

36 Bev Weidner August 13, 2011 at 6:58 am

Those. Are. Gorgeous.

I absolutely love black quinoa, so this will be the next thing I make with it.

LOVE IT.

37 Angela FRS August 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love this sweet-savory breakfast idea–and I love Telluride! Beautiful area.

38 Baking Serendipity August 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

Gorgeous pictures! You have me craving a good, long hike…and some quinoa! I’ve never made it for breakfast before, but love this recipe to start with :) Wishing you a great weekend!

39 Mariko August 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm

The colors of the quinoa parfait complement so well the pictures of your family hike! I love that.

40 Kate@Diethood August 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

After having this delicious breakfast, I would climb mountains, not just hike!! ;) Beautiful, as always!!

41 Roxana GreenGirl August 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

what a delicious way to start the day. thanks for sharing Marla!

42 Barefeet In The Kitchen August 14, 2011 at 6:34 am

Absolutely beautiful photos, Marla. Those parfaits sound delicious. Love the jar idea!

43 Georgia Pellegrini August 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Love how much protein this has! And I love the cute picture of your kids hiking along. They look like pros already!

44 Marla August 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Georgia I felt like the most proud mama watching them both hike on my favorite steep slopes. It was the first time my little guy footed it all the way down. It was filled with scree & he practically ran the whole way.
I am a self declared proton junkie. Body runs best on that stuff!

45 Jeanette August 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm

What a terrific healthy on-the-go breakfast idea – fun to eat too for the kids!

46 SMITH BITES August 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm

would LOVE these for breakfast, lunch or even dinner Marla – fantastic!

47 Tracy August 15, 2011 at 8:27 am

These look absolutely stunning! I know I would love to have this for breakfast, or anytime of the day really. And, how perfect to bring them along in mason jars!

48 megan @ whatmegansmaking August 16, 2011 at 3:25 am

I am becoming obsessed with quinoa – what a great way to eat it for breakfast!

49 Marla August 16, 2011 at 4:07 am

Megan, quinoa is a good thing to be obsessed with ;)

50 grace August 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm

you had me until the egg, marla–i might have to scratch that from my personal parfait. the rest is perfection! :)

51 Marla August 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Grace, not a problem at all…..how about Greek yogurt instead of the egg?

52 Charissa August 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

This post got me all excited! I just love this idea SOOO much! Marla, you’re just inspiring!!!
And quiona is hot! My next post will be about quiona too! hehe

53 Marla August 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

Oh yay! can’t wait to see your quinoa post Charissa :)

54 Baltic Maid August 20, 2011 at 11:56 am

This looks beautiful! Your pictures are amazing! I am going to try this recipe for sure. And thanks for visiting my blog. :-)

55 Kirsten February 25, 2013 at 8:21 am

Made this this morning but just simplified it to quinoa, scrambled egg, strawberries, and blueberries. Delicious!! It was my re-introduction to quinoa. I’ve had a box sitting in my cupboard that I’ve been afraid to touch after the last experience. But this was fantastic, and low-calorie too! Thank you :)