Another round of the Secret Recipe Club is here! I love this group and I always look forward to the great reveal. This month I was given the lovely blog The Boys Made Me Do It. There are some great recipes over there. The first recipe that caught my eye were these awesome Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies.
Of course I had to play up my healthy twist……
Just like Cara (the creator of The Boys Made Me Do It,) I am a HUGE fan of peanut butter. I use it as often as possible. A few examples are my Chocolate BananaPeanut Butter Pizzas, Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie Parfaits, Maple Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies, I even slather it all over my French Toast Breakfast Cookies. We go through a few jars a month. Easy.
So why did I swap out my favorite PB for sunflower seed butter?
A few reasons. I always like to put a unique twist on other peoples recipes. Also, with the new school year we need lots of home cooked food for our lunch boxes. Many schools these days are Nut Free Zones, so I took out the peanut butter and gave you an option you can safely send to school. Make them with all fruit jam and you have an equivalent of a PB & J cookie sandwich.
Not only are these nut free, but they are also low fat, sugar free and gluten free too. A total win if you ask me. With out the cream cheese filling they are vegan. Your cookie, your choice. Very adaptable.
Do you guys like sunflower seeds & butter? I love all nut and seed butters. Not picky at all.
The flavor is wonderful, with the fat from coconut milk and sunflower butter the texture of these cookies melts in your mouth. Be sure not to use baking soda with this sunflower spread. If you do you might be surprised with a bright green color. That happened to my first batch. It was shocking! Cool for St. Patty’s day though.
You can reduce the green by limiting baking soda or adding lemon juice to your batter. Interesting huh!
These cookies were a welcome home from a busy, active day at camp. A cool glass of milk and some extra jam on the side makes a long day of play well worth every jump, run and leap.
What is your favorite cookie sandwich? Have you ever baked with sunflower seed butter?
*If you are preparing food for people with nut allergies please be sure that the sunflower seed butter you choose is not cross contaminated with nuts in processing.
- 1 3/4 cups (210 grams) Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup (114 grams) Coconut Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1 1/4 cup light, unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) Sunflower Seed Butter
- 4-5 droppers full Vanilla Stevia Drops adjust to taste
- Granulated Stevia for topping
- light whipped Cream Cheese (I sweeten ours with Vanilla Stevia Drops)
- all fruit/unsweetened Jam
- Sunflower Seed Butter
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with the rack in the middle. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper (you might need 2 sheets)
- In a medium bowl whisk together oat flour, coconut flour and salt. In another bowl combine coconut milk, sunflower seed butter and stevia drops.Take care to break up the lumps and combine well. Add dry ingredients to wet and combine well with a spatula. Dough will be sticky at first. Transfer to a work surface and knead with your hands for a few minutes until you have a large ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into 20 even balls, place on the baking sheet. Flatten each with your hands about 1/4 inch thick. Press the back of a fork into the cookie dough to make a cross hatch design. Lightly spray the tops of cookies with cooking spray or brush with melted coconut oil.
- Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to racks to cool completely. Spread on some jam, cream cheese, sunflower seed butter to make cookie sandwiches. Top with granulated stevia.
Baked Goods with Sunflower Seed Butter Links
- Crunchy Sunbutter Chocolate Cups Diet, Dessert and Dogs
- Double Sunflower Seed Scones Live Laugh Eat
- Oatmeal and Sunflower Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies The Messy Kitchen
- Sunflower Seed Butter Oatmeal Cookies Virtually Vegan Mama
- Sunflower Seed Butter Rice Crispy Treats Savor the Thyme
Links to Group C Secret Recipe Club Participants