Happy Post: Pumpkin

by Marla on September 14, 2011 · 78 comments

Little boy in denim jacket sitting on orange pumpkins

Two of my most *happy* things in that photo. My sweet little guy and giant orange pumpkins! That bright squash is the gateway food into everything that symbolizes my two favorite seasons, fall and winter. Gosh, I can’t believe this photo was taken back in fall 2009. The time is moving quickly…..

It is ridiculous how much I LOVE pumpkin. From here until the weather gets hot again you will see it featured here every way I possibly can. Are you OK with that? I really hope so. From what I gather around the web you guys are obsessed with it too. That is why I am giving you the go ahead to link to your favorite recipes in this Happy Post.

Here are some of our favorite recipes and in the next few months I will be creating many, many more…..

Carved Halloween Pumpkins and Muffins

I love that my daughter is missing her two front teeth in that photo above. Ahhhhh, the memories. This year she has those teeth but is missing the ones on either side…..

First up let’s talk about muffins. Everyone loves muffins right? They are happy food over here and even more so with pumpkin and tiny chocolate sprinkles. My Pumpkin Chocolate Oat Muffins would be a great surprise in the lunch box.

Healthy muffin recipe with pumpkin and chocolate sprinkles

You guys know how addicted I am to my Stuffed French Toast creations? You gotta fire up your skillet to try this Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed French Toast recipe. You can thank me later.

Homemade french toast for family breakfast or holiday brunch.

Peanut Butter Banana Coffee Cake…..moist, full of flavor, sweet and fabulous. I don’t think I need to go into too much detail here. The name says it all. I also make french toast with this. Remember my Breakfast Cookie French Toast? I do the same with cake.

Coffee cake with peanuts and pumpkin for breakfast and snacks.

You might like these Cranberry Pumpkin Ricotta Cookies too…..great for breakfast, snacks, brunch, any time at all. Keep a side of whipped cream, cream cheese or nut butter handy as a dip.

Homemade, healthy oat cookies on Family Fresh Cooking

Even though this recipe is called Sweet Potato Crisp, I want you to try it with pumpkin purée instead. Don’t think about it. Just do it.

Healthy sweet potato crisp or pumpkin recipes

Here is a savory for you. Don’t snicker at the vintage photography throughout this post (well giggle if you must)

The tilt below is pretty hilarious. Don’t do that in your food photography, OK?! This has actually been one of the most loved recipes around here. Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Chicken Meatballs.

Homemade pumpkin curry recipe

I must draw your attention again to my recent Pumpkin Pie Popsicles. If you want something a little more warming you can try Pumpkin Vanilla Applesauce. The applesauce is awesome on it’s own or used as an ingredient in baked goods.

Homemade Summer Popsicles with pumpkin and goats milk

These Chocolate Pumpkin Pancakes could charm the pants of the most finicky of eaters. The shapes are way easier to make than you might think. You simple mix the two batters and use a squeeze bottle to outline and then fill them in.

Little girl eating pumpkin pancakes on Halloween

Link up your favorite pumpkin recipes that made you *happy* from the past few months or years. Be sure to link back to this post or Family Fresh Cooking  you can also add my Happy Post Badge to each of your submitted post(s), the code for that is on my my badges page. Let’s spread the HAPPY. I will share a re-cap of your favorite links sometime soon.

Graphic for Happy Post on Family Fresh Cooking blog

Contribute as many posts as you like. Pumpkin inspiration beyond the recipes are cool to link up too. Maybe you have a post about travel, a pumpkin patch, got a groovy Halloween theme or maybe fall themed crafts that tie in? Do share….as always I encourage you to think outside the box.

Halloween Jack o lanterns at Disneyland

So let’s hear it…what are your favorite ways to use pumpkin?! Check out my recipes page for more ideas.

Link up your Pumpkin Recipes Here:

Relevant Recipe Links

Tidy Mom

This post has been included in TidyMom’s I’m Lovin it Fridays

1 Chocolate-Covered Katie September 14, 2011 at 7:04 am

Aww that first photo is just precious! (Actually, so it the second!)

Thanks for including me… and all your recipes look delicious. I especially love the idea of the popsicles. TOO cute!!

Chocolate hugs!
-Katie

2 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme September 14, 2011 at 7:09 am

What a great collection of pumpkin recipes! They’d really be great any time of year but are just perfect for Fall of course.

3 Estela @ Weekly Bite September 14, 2011 at 7:37 am

Love that first photo! And I love all these great recipes!! Those pancakes are too cute :)

4 Rosa September 14, 2011 at 7:42 am

Sweet! I love pumpkins and fall. I’d love to live in the Us to witness such pumpkin love.

5 Allison September 14, 2011 at 7:42 am

I am in PUMPKIN Heaven!

6 Megan September 14, 2011 at 7:43 am

Pumpkin is my happy food! I love this post Marla, you made me happy! I’m linking up and I’m sure I’ll find some new favorites here.

7 Marla September 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

Megan your pumpkin cookies are amazing!! My kids would flip for those. A keeper for sure :) Thanks for linking up.

8 Katrina September 14, 2011 at 8:18 am

You just got me super excited for pumpkins. Yum!

9 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme September 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Thanks Marla for all these delicious pumpkin recipes! :)

10 Lana September 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

Pumpkins are just starting to make an appearance at the farmers’ market here in Serbia, and I am just waiting for the heat to subside to start with fall recipes (it is unusually hot for September).
Thanks for putting the recipe round-up together – just in time:)

11 Marla September 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yay Lana, so thrilled that you made it in time to participate. Your pumpkin strudel looks awesome!

12 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 14, 2011 at 8:43 am

Pumpkin makes me happy too! I love everything about this post.

13 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes September 14, 2011 at 8:53 am

Looks delicious! It gets me excited for fall!

14 Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet September 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

What a fun idea. I added a couple of oldies, but goodies. :) Looking forward to the weather cooling down and the smells of fall – including Pumpkin!!

15 Marla September 14, 2011 at 9:34 am

Yay Heather!! Thanks for linking up. I MUST try your muffins and cookies :)

16 Daydreamer Desserts September 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

You picked the perfect day for this roundup Marla! Thanks for the link love too! xo

17 Maria September 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

I am so excited for pumpkin season!

18 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] September 14, 2011 at 9:59 am

I absolutely LOVE pumpkins! Back in the day, when I used AIM chat, my screen name was “pumpkins4me”

19 Kirstin September 14, 2011 at 10:08 am

YUM! I LOVE pumpkin….I just put pumpkin on my list to buy because I’ve seen some recipes lately that I’d love to try.

20 Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 14, 2011 at 10:41 am

I want to make everything! I’m also doing a pumpkin post in a couple weeks with everyone’s favorites! Let me know if you want me to include any of your recipes:-)

21 Katie @Epicurean Mom September 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

Wonderful post Marla! I linked my DIY fondant pumpkins!

22 Caroline @ chocolate and carrots September 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

What a great round up Marla! I can’t wait to start baking with pumpkin again! :-) Yay fall!

23 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} September 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Oh my goodness, Marla! I am just loving all of those pumpkin recipes! The hard part is narrowing down the list of which one to make. My kids would LOVE the Chocolate Pumpkin Pancakes!

24 HeatherChristo September 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Marla- this is like heaven to me! If there is one thing I love, it is fall recipes with pumpkin!

25 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 14, 2011 at 12:44 pm

What a perfect time for this post!!

After we parted ways yesterday, I came home and shot my pumpkin spice latte pics AND edited them AND posted them at 1am :) I was DETERMINED to post about pumpkin!! :)

I love all of these pumpkin recipes of yours…my goodness. Where do I even start…

It all looks…Amazing!!!

Awesome seeing you yesterday
xo

26 Molly Chester September 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm

This post definitely made me feel a very happy feeling of fall. Thank you! See you Sunday dear!

27 Kristen September 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

We’re big fans of pumpkin around here too!

28 Cookin' Canuck September 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

There are so many wonderful pumpkin recipes here, Marla. I can’t wait to start baking with it. I’ve always been a fan of your sweet potato crisp.

29 Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen September 14, 2011 at 2:52 pm

That pumpkin curry looks SO comforting. I need that in my life. P.S. Thanks for including me! xo

30 Kimby September 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Your children are adorable and so are your pumpkin pancakes. I always took my kids (now 29 and 25) on a “pumpkin run” the first weekend of October to pick out their prospective jack-o-lanterns and bring home some fall favorites — apples, honey, squash. What a wonderful time of year.

31 Lucy September 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Never too early for scary pumpkin cupcakes, right???!

32 Esi September 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm

This post is making me even more excited for more pumpkin recipes this fall.

33 Marla September 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Oh good Esi, that is the point! Glad you like it :)

34 Bev Weidner September 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm

You can pumpkin my face ALL DAY LONG.

That’s kind of weird actually.

35 Marla September 14, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Bev, weird? Sure. But I get it. I really- really get it :)

36 The Texas Peach September 14, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for the opportunity to link up! All of your pumpkin recipes look delicious, especially the Pumpkin Coconut Curry with Chicken Meatballs!

37 Joanne September 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm

There is literally NOTHING that makes me happier than pumpkin season! Can’t wait to try some of these recipes this year! I linked a few of mine up!

38 Deliciously Organic September 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm

What an amazing round-up of pumpkin recipes! As soon as I’m off of my grain-free diet, I’m going to open up some pumpkin and get to baking!

39 Marla September 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

Carrie, now that sounds like a great plan! In the mean time you can do all kinds of custards & puddings….now that sounds good right about now :)

40 Nancy@acommunaltable September 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm

If there was a Pumpkin Festival around here, you’d definitely be the Queen Marla with all those fabulous recipes!! I love pumpkin too and can’t wait to start cooking with it again!

41 Marla September 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

Nancy, ya think we can find a pumpkin festival? I would be all over that! Can’t wait to see you in a few hours for lunch. Two times in one week, how cool is that!

42 Maris (In Good Taste) September 14, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I LOVE pumpkin. You’ll be seeing plenty of it from me too!!

43 Marla September 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

Oh good Maris, can’t wait to see what you cook up with pumpkin.

44 Diane {Created by Diane} September 14, 2011 at 11:00 pm

What a great line up of delicious pumpkin goodies! Looking forward to seeing more of the recipes that linked up.

45 Kitchen Belleicious September 15, 2011 at 4:55 am

Just love your blog. Adding you to my blog page because I have to stay up to date with ya!

46 Marla September 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

Awww, you are so sweet! I am loving your blog as well. So many great healthy recipes & lifestyle tips :)

47 Jeanette September 15, 2011 at 4:59 am

Just love all these pumpkin recipes and pics of your cute kids! We love pumpkin in our house and will be making lots of pumpkin muffins and bread around here. Love that tilted picture – I’ve done that a few times in my earlier posts too ;).

48 Marla September 15, 2011 at 9:40 am

Jeanette, you are too funny. Not sure why the tilted thing happened at the beginning. Guess I thought it was cool ;)

49 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective September 15, 2011 at 6:52 am

YES! I love “pumpkin season” and all the yummy things that follow. Great round up!

50 Angie's Recipes September 15, 2011 at 11:25 am

Some really great collection of pumpkin recipes!

51 Angie's Recipes September 15, 2011 at 11:31 am

How do I add them to my post?

52 Niki of Spilled Ingredients September 15, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’m primed for pumpkin time, thanks to this fun post! I can’t wait for pumpkin patch pickin’ and all of the October/November recipes to come. Anticipation has arrived! I’ll be working on some wheat-free pumpkin adventures this fall… fingers crossed!

53 Divya September 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Aww, the photos are so cute! I’m really excited about pumpkin season. I just love fall!

54 Laura @ SweetSavoryPlanet September 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Loved the photos and the recipes. I wasn’t much of a pumpkin fan until all the varieties started showing up at the farmers market. Now I am hooked.

55 Cookie and Kate September 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Your kids are beautiful, Marla! I can’t wait to start baking with pumpkin again, and your pumpkin chocolate oat muffins look like a great recipe to start with. Yum!

56 Marla September 16, 2011 at 6:24 am

Thanks Kate! I must get out & take gobs of pumpkin related photos this year. I had to go through the archives to find those. Glad they make you *happy* Yes, you should try those little muffins, they are awesome!

57 Marylouise September 15, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I love your post!! Fall is still our favorite season – our kids are teens – but thankfully they still love fall and pumpkin carving! They are going to one and planning to have one of their own! We love stuffed french toast too – have never tried pumpkin but will very soon! Thanks

58 Marla September 16, 2011 at 6:27 am

Hi Marylouise, first off I am THRILLED to learn that pumpkin carving can be loved & enjoyed as your kids grow bigger. I hope to always be able to do it with mine. The fact that yours are doing it a few times makes it even more FUN :) Let me know if you try the Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast.

59 heather September 16, 2011 at 6:11 am

So many lovely pumpkin treats! Thanks for inviting me to the link share – what a great resource for all things pumpkin!

60 carolinaheartstrings September 16, 2011 at 7:07 am

We are pumpkin lovers too. Wonderful picture!

61 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray September 16, 2011 at 8:55 am

Everything looks awesome, and I think all the photos are great!

62 katie September 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hi there! Thanks for the compliment on my blog! :) Here is the link to my Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes! :)

63 Marla September 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Seriously Katie, those pumpkiny protein pancakes are to die for :)

64 Donna September 16, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Let the Pumpkin Fest begin!

65 Marla September 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm

OMG, Donna I LOVE you attitude :) Happy indeed. It has begun ;)

66 Jennifer (Delicieux) September 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for inviting me to the pumpkin party!!! I love pumpkin and there are SO many great pumpkin recipes there.

67 bridget {bake at 350} September 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm

those pumpkin chocolate muffins are calling my name!!!

68 Nutmeg Nanny September 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Your kids are absolutely adorable! Love all the pumpkin recipes too. I linked up two recipes :)

69 Maggie @ Vittles and Bits September 18, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Wow great recipes with pumpkin!! I just love fall and all it’s fun recipes :)

70 sweetsugarbelle September 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I love this roundup Marla! Lots of GREAT ideas in one place. I’m sad I haven’t posted a pumpkin recipe!

71 Shawnda September 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm

lt’s a pumpkin lover’s dream over here! (And sorry I didn’t make it over in time… I’m two days late to everything lately!)

72 Andrea DiGeronimo September 20, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Fun post! Now I am ready for fall. Let the pumpkin smorgasbord begin! How about pumpkin soup?! One of my favorites. xo

73 Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño September 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

This is one of the best posts I have ever seen… and clearly the most fantastic because it’s all about pumpkins. I LOVE IT. So I have to quickly end this so I can scurry over to your pumpkin pie popsicle because I think I am in love.
Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

74 Marla September 21, 2011 at 4:49 am

Oh good Laura…glad to hear that pumpkin makes you as happy as it does me :) Sounds like a great deal of us are smitten by pumpkin. Let me know if you try the popsicles.

75 Sue October 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I can never overload on pumpkin! Fantastic post!

76 Dee at Deelicious Sweets October 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oh my yummy! Your kids are so adorable! I would love for you to link up to my Pumpkin Blog Hop!