Everyone’s Favorite Teeny Tiny Potatoes

by Marla on September 30, 2011 · 64 comments

Small roasted potatoes recipe with herbs and seasonings.

Recently potatoes went from just OK to one of my favorite foods! Indulging in all kinds of spuds in Idaho forever changed me. These Teeny Tiny Fingerlings look like little circus peanuts don’t they?

Grab a waxed baggie and bring ‘em to work or school and you have a nice side or snack to munch on. They are great steaming hot, at room temp or chilled. Consider these small spuds the modern french fry.

These potatoes go great in our daily lunch boxes…come take a peek.

Small roasted potatoes recipe with herbs and seasonings.

You can roast up a few pounds of these at a time. They make an easy, inexpensive side dish and are a great alternative to store bought chips.

I Googled Teeny Tiny Potatoes and it looks like many people are obsessed with them……..

Easy Lunchboxes for back to school lunch box ideas

I discovered these potatoes at Trader Joe’s. They have a smooth skin that yields to a firm yet creamy, flavorful inside.

The skin pops like a hot dog when you bite into it.

Small roasted potatoes recipe with herbs and seasonings.

To prepare you roast them for about 40 minutes. Coat with some oil, add handfuls of your favorite dried herbs and seasonings.

Our favorites are thyme, rosemary, sea salt and smoked paprika. Serve these spuds with an egg frittatachili, a grilled cheese sandwich or just munch them as a mini meal by the handful.

We also love a side of micro greens or baby lettuce.

Silly kids plate with herbs and micro greens

To make things even more interesting I coat 2 pounds of these littles with a tablespoon of ghee. That’s right, clarified butter y’all. If you don’t do the butter thing then drizzle with your favorite oil.

If you do like the butter thing…..1 tablespoon of melted bliss is not a lot on 2 pounds of spuds. It does add a huge dimension of flavor though. You know what else would be good, some unrefined coconut oil. Oh how we love that stuff around here.

Easy Lunchboxes with school lunch

Instead of little plastic baggies I found these wax coated bags at Whole Foods. We love ‘em.

Small roasted potatoes recipe with herbs and seasonings.

Have you joined us yet for Project Lunch Box? We are half way through our 30 day lunch box challenge and it sounds like a great many of you have been succeeding in making some changes.

If you are not yet familiar….we have a simple pledge to highlight the importance of bringing home packed, healthy meals to school or work. Simple add your blog URL to our link up at this post. You guys have shared awesome tips on this blog and on Facebook that are featured in my recent post 10 Best Lunch Packing Tips.

Small roasted potatoes recipe with herbs and seasonings.

What is your favorite potato side dish? Please add our Project Lunch Box badge to your side bar or blog post.

Pink, green and turquoise Project Lunch Box badge

Everyone’s Favorite Teeny Tiny Potatoes

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Serving Size: 10-12 servings

Everyone’s Favorite Teeny Tiny Potatoes

• 2 pounds Teeny Tiny Potatoes, you can also use Fingerlings or New Potatoes
  • Olive Oil
  • a few pinches of Garlic Salt
  • a few pinches of cracked Black Pepper
  • a few pinches of cracked Smoked Paprika
  • a handful of chopped fresh herbs such as Thyme or Rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon melted Ghee, Butter or Olive Oil

• Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Rinse potatoes and pat dry. Toss them with some olive oil until glistening, garlic salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Put potatoes in a single layer on the sheet pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until soft and browned to your liking. Toss halfway through baking time. Remove from the oven and let cool a bit.
  • Toss potatoes with melted ghee or butter and fresh or dried herbs.
  • Notes
  • If you do not have any fresh herbs use some dried ones.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Project Lunch Box links
Roasted Potato Recipe Links

Brown Bag ChallengeI am adding this post to the Food Network’s Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you’re eating on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #brownbag.

1 Grace@ FoodFitnessFreshair September 30, 2011 at 6:54 am

Hm, I wonder how these differ from fingerlings. Fingerlings are always a delight. I tend to find that smaller potatoes have more flavor, and I agree that they’re more fun to work with (and eat!).

2 Marla September 30, 2011 at 7:23 am

Grace, I am not sure how different they are from fingerlings. These are not starchy, more smooth and firm in texture. I will have to do a taste test soon. If you try either let me know. Love your roasted green beans today :)

3 Lauren from Lauren's Latest September 30, 2011 at 6:55 am

I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for these cute little potatoes! My daughter would love these!

4 Marla September 30, 2011 at 7:22 am

Lauren, your little gal would love them. My kids ask for them everyday, a few times a day. Makes for a great grab and go snack.

5 Allison September 30, 2011 at 6:55 am

Oh do these look so good! Can you pack my lunches too :)

Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

6 Marla September 30, 2011 at 7:21 am

Hi Allison…sure! How far away do you live from us?? ;)

7 Rosa September 30, 2011 at 7:05 am

Those tiny potatoes look amazing! I could just eat a bunch now…

8 Carrie@ Bakeaholicmama September 30, 2011 at 7:10 am

I love little roasted potatoes. But then again I love all forms of potatoes! I’ve never thought of packing them in a cold lunch… I bet they are just as yummy cold as they are hot!

9 Marla September 30, 2011 at 7:21 am

Carrie: They are soooo yummy cold too. With a side dip even better. Ketchup, ranch, mustard, vinaigrette. All good :)

10 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray September 30, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love roasted potatoes and these are so cute!

11 Mary September 30, 2011 at 8:56 am

I love the look of these! I’m all about potatoes in just about any form. These sound delicious. I never think of eating potatoes cold, but why not? I’m going to try it soon. Thanks.

12 Lucy September 30, 2011 at 8:59 am

These look delicious – and love that you are using mirco greens in the lunch box – I use them on everything – garnish for soup, in salads, in turkey rolls and sandwiches.

13 carolinaheartstrings September 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

Wow. Those looks terrific. I will be trying these out very soon.

14 Angie September 30, 2011 at 9:40 am

Yummy! I was lucky enough to be over at marla’s place the day she made them! They were so delicious! She poured a little bit of melted ghee over them and they were so tasty. Great comfort food. Yes, she did pop them into the kids lunch boxes!!!

15 Kathryn September 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

What a great lunchbox snack! I love little roast potatoes but would never thought of having them like this, they look absolutely delicious.

16 Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily September 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

Gotta love TJ’s! They always have the best produce. This really is a great idea for a healthy and different lunch box treat. I’m w you, I’m just not a big spud lover… ;) but these fingerling type potatoes w herbs and salt sound fantastic.

17 Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily September 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

p.s. pinned ya. ;)

18 Matt@ Heidi's Heavenly Cookies September 30, 2011 at 10:18 am

Ah, I love little taters! These look so good! I’ll have to try them with a vinaigrette.

19 Nancy@acommunaltable September 30, 2011 at 10:34 am

Hi Marla!

Darn, my favorite “well kept secret” is out!! I love these little potatoes and roast them too – you are right they are great hot, cold .. any which way.. but then, being Irish, I am a TOTAL tater girl!! Love all these ideas for packed lunches and I will be stealing some… for me!!

20 Kelly Lester September 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

Gorgeous and inspiring Marla! Love that ZipList recipe plug-in!!! Haven’t seen it before. Of course I’d catch it on your blog – you’re always a front runner in the latest goodies :) Very cool!!!

21 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

These teeny tiny potatoes are adorable Marla!! I know I will quickly be obsessed when I get my hands on them.

22 Bree September 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

What a cute lunch box idea!

23 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Your tiny potatoes look so good! And beautiful pics, too!

Been trying to comment on your last few posts but my comments were getting eaten by your system being down or some crazy tech stuff.

But you and the cowboy post, loved that one too :)

24 Kristen September 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

What cute little potatoes… they remind me of fingerling potatoes, which we love. Great lunch idea!

25 Tickled Red September 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Oh my goodness they do look like little peanuts! Love this idea for my boys lunch boxes. Ummm…I am SO a tater girl. Any way shape form or fashion sign me up. My granny always made me potato soup (my fav) but because I was a wee lil’ babe I called it Soppy Tater’s, go figure. :D Xoxo

26 Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids September 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm

What a great lunch idea. And, they are just so cute. I cannot wait to try them!

27 Amanda September 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I want some of those!!! How stinkin smart to use them the way you did!!

28 Sue September 30, 2011 at 6:52 pm

These little potatoes are so cute(never thought I would call a potato “cute”)! I’m heading to Trader Joe’s tomorrow!

29 betty September 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I really want to have a picnik and take these!

30 Jeanette September 30, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Neat idea for lunch boxes. My kids love roasted fingerling potatoes, simply roasted with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add fresh thyme and rosemary if I have them on hand. I happen to have gotten some of these cute little potatoes in my CSA Box this week, and will be roasting them this weekend.

31 Katrina October 1, 2011 at 4:38 am

Love these! Perfect for a side to lunch.

32 Kulsum at JourneyKitchen October 1, 2011 at 7:00 am

Just got to checking out my favorite blogs after the vacation and what a delightful recipe to warm my eyes with. Teeny tiny potatoes? Yes please. Love that you also recommend ghee as the fat!

33 Joanne October 1, 2011 at 7:00 am

These baby potatoes are really PERFECT for roasting! I love how the skin gets all crisp and shriveled and soaks up tons of flavor!

34 Rylan - Art and Appetite October 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

Marla, this shot is TOTALLY KILLING ME! OH MY GOSH! It is just fabulous! I love the photography and everything! As for the food, of course I am loving it too. I love how it can be vegan (which I am). Oooh, would definitely try. Great for side dishes on Thanksgiving!

35 Marla October 2, 2011 at 5:33 am

Hi Rylan! Just took a look around your blog and I am smitten by your talents and your compliments. Your cakes are splendid. To think you would pass this way to gawk floors me in a BIG way. People like you make me push my self to be my very best. Thanks for brightening my day :) xxoo

36 Ashley@BakerbyNature October 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Trader Joe’s always has bags of these cute little potatoes! This recipe looks delicious; I would love to pack these for lunch everyday.

37 Marla October 2, 2011 at 5:30 am

Ashley: It’s funny, from what I gather these potatoes have been around TJ’s for some time and I only just noticed them last week. From here on out there will always be a bag or two in my cart :)

38 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] October 2, 2011 at 2:55 am

I am enjoying these lunch box posts! Thanks Marla.

39 HeatherChristo October 2, 2011 at 7:29 am

I have been seeing adorable teeny-tiny potatoes at the grocery store lately! (and in lots of colors), this recipe looks like just the thing for whipping them up:)

40 Marla October 2, 2011 at 7:30 am

Heather, you must get your hands on some. You little gals will love them!

41 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh October 2, 2011 at 7:46 am

Ive seen those at trader joes, and always wanted to make them because they looked so cute! They are the perfect size for little kids! :) These looks yummy! Anything roasted is a favorite of mine!

42 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. October 2, 2011 at 9:32 am

Those potatoes look SO good. Hope you had a great weekend!

43 torviewtoronto October 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

delicious looking presentation

44 JulieD October 2, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Marla, these look amazing!

45 Angela FRS October 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love these, too–I like to toss them with a little olive oil and throw them in a grill basket. Delicious.

46 Marla October 3, 2011 at 5:10 am

Angela, I am sooooo in love with my grill basket too. Next batch I will grill up like you :)

47 Tartepink October 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm

These are sooo cute! I’ll be looking for these at groceries from now on. The other thing I was searching for was ball zuccinis but they are nowhere to be found :(

48 Marla October 3, 2011 at 5:11 am

Tartepink, I have never seen ball zucchini for reals. Hmmm, wonder where to score some of those. Must be very specialty. Bet the farmer’s market might have them??

49 Angie's Recipes October 3, 2011 at 12:56 am

oh how cute! I love the presentation too..

50 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen October 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Roasting is one of my favorite ways to make potatoes and these are just adorable!

51 Laura @ SweetSavoryPlanet October 3, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I love roasted fingerling potatoes! One of my farmer’s market purveyors puts out a mix of different varieties of fingerling sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Very colorful. Each type has it own flavor and they make a nice looking side dish.

52 Kate@Diethood October 4, 2011 at 8:34 am

I love roasted potatoes! But I really really like these fingerling potatoes… they would be gone in seconds if I had them in front of me!

53 Georgia Pellegrini October 4, 2011 at 9:26 am

I think that THESE are in fact my favorite potato side dish! I just love them all roasted with whole garlic cloves and course salt. Oh and a few dabs of hot sauce. Sublime….mmm.

54 Julie@Teaching Good Eaters November 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Those little potatos look amazing! I’ll be on a search now- All of your food looks so wonderful and fresh- you have definitely inspired me to seek out some new options for lunches! Thank you.

55 Marla November 2, 2011 at 6:05 am

Hi Julie! Thanks for stopping by. So happy I could inspire you to pack up homemade lunches. It is well worth the effort & you gotta try these teeny tiny potatoes. Life changing I tell ya!

56 Rachel - Following In My Shoes November 15, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I’ve been roasting purple fingerlings for my daughter’s lunches lately. She loves them!

57 Chrystal Hartman April 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Love this for a lunch idea!!!

58 Sally January 30, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I don’t know what I’ve been paying attention to at Trader Joe’s, but I just noticed these this week. I’m planning on using them in Le Grand Aioli (http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/le-grand-aioli). I thought about preparing them in the traditional way by boiling, but I really want to roast them. Trying to determine how long to roast them is how I stumbled across your blog.

59 Linda McClure February 5, 2013 at 11:01 am

We live in New Mexico, we can only find the teeny tiny potatoes when we go to Arizona. Is there any stores in Las Cruces New Mexico that carry them? We just love them roasted or baked. thank you.

60 Linda McClure February 5, 2013 at 11:08 am

I live in Las Cruces New Mexico,we are unable to fine teeny tiny [potatoes. The only time we get them is when we go to Arizona. Our largest food market is Albertsons and of course Walmart. do you know of any other stores that would be closer.They don’t last long, they are so good.Thank You for your help.

61 Sarah Y. September 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for the recipe and pretty pics! Mine are in the oven right now :)