Thanksgiving Leftovers Pizza: Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese, Turkey

by Marla on November 19, 2011 · 57 comments

Thanksgiving Leftovers Pizza: Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese, Turkey on FamilyFreshCooking.com

Remember my Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter and Coconut recipe? Somewhere along the way that mash called out to be used on pizza. Sweet Potato Pizza. A unique, fabulous and fun way to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers.

Go ahead and bookmark this for the day after & for Project Lunch Box….you can thank me later.

Creamy Coconut, Brown Butter Sweet Potatoes on FamilyFreshCooking.com #thanksgiving

Those are the sweet potatoes you will use. Or use your own.

Pizza is just an edible plate” I heard that on the Food Network and I fell in love. A truly genius statement spoken by Troy Johnson from the show Crave. He calls pizza “Edible Frisbees of Glee”

Agreed.

Please don’t forget the nuts. Never forget the nuts…

Pizza toppings can run the gamut from traditional Margherita (tomatoes, basil and cheese) to anything and everything your mind can think up. My mind dreams up all kinds of wild things like these here and my Chocolate Cherry Ricotta Grilled Pizzas.

Don’t be afraid to think outside the box.

That is why I experimented with creamy, delicately sweetened mashed sweet potatoes, tangy goat cheese and sweet dried black Mission figs.

I have to admit that Thanksgiving leftovers are my favorite part of the holiday. Sure I love sitting down to a big turkey day feast, but it is that special feeling of being able to reach into the refrigerator to grab food that is…

Well prepped and ready for action.

I feel like I am at a fancy delicatessen when all of that food is in our fridge. When I was growing up we would go to Ina Garton’s Barefoot Contessa in the Hampton’s and Dean and Deluca in NYC. I could see this recipe as the kind of food they would have there.

It was always delightful to look into the case of freshly prepared foods.

What are you going to do with those Thanksgiving and holiday leftovers?

Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese, Turkey & Fig Pizzas

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 17 minutes

Yield: 8 mini pizzas

Sweet Potato, Goat Cheese, Turkey & Fig Pizzas

• 1 pound Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (I like Trader Joe's dough. You can also use your favorite gluten free dough recipe) divide into 8 equal portions
  • leftover Mashed Sweet Potatoes
  • leftover Turkey, shredded
  • a few ounces of Goat Cheese, crumble with your fingers
  • a few handfuls chopped Dried Black Mission Figs
  • a few handfuls of chopped Nuts (Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, etc)
  • Olive Oil Spray
  • Optional Garnishes
  • Fresh Herbs
  • Pomegranate Seeds
  • Dried or fresh Figs
  • Dried Cranberries

• Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Shape pizza dough rounds and layer on mashed sweet potatoes, turkey, goat cheese, figs and nuts. Bake about 12 minutes until cheese has melted and the dough has cooked through. You can also toast a little at the end by heating under a low broiler. Watch carefully if you do this, they can easily burn.

Pizza Recipe Links

Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe Links

1 Cassie [Bake Your Day] November 19, 2011 at 9:21 am

These sound perfect! I would eat these as my Thanksgiving dinner, I adore goat cheese!

2 Marla November 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Cassie, these would make a great Thanksgiving dinner. A handheld one!!

3 Rosa November 19, 2011 at 9:48 am

A great idea! They look so dainty and appetizing.

4 Marla November 19, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Rosa, these would actually be great made even smaller for appetizers. As mini pizza bites….

5 Bev Weidner November 19, 2011 at 10:05 am

A.M.E.N.

6 Marla November 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Bev, even your single word comments crack me up!!

7 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I love that you are already thinking of what to do with the leftovers. And that as a blogger, you’ve already blogged one whole meal for Thanksgiving and have already had to do with the leftovers..so that you have timely blog posts.

Now, this week, you get to do it all again in real life :)

8 Marla November 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Averie, not so sure I want to do it all again for reals…though it clearly looks like I will have to! I think and plan ahead to a fault. Must be the Virgo in me. Something you might know about? xxoo

9 Katrina November 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Great way to use leftovers! Yum!

10 Sharyn Dimmick November 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

What a creative pizza. I would eat it.

11 Kim Bee November 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm

This is stunning. I think you really knocked this one out of the park. I would love one of these right now. Let’s be honest, I’d probably eat 3 or 4!

12 Marla November 20, 2011 at 7:25 am

Kim, it is pretty darn tricky to stick to just one ;)

13 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 20, 2011 at 5:32 am

I love the idea of using left overs for on top of pizza! I’ve uses butternut squash, but never thought of sweet potatoes and turkey, I would totally love that! Thanks for the recipe!

14 Marla November 20, 2011 at 7:25 am

Jennier, now that I think of pizza as an “edible plate” anything goes. Really ;)

15 Connie / Marinating Online November 20, 2011 at 5:52 am

I love sweet potatoes and goat cheese. Gread idea.

16 Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} November 20, 2011 at 6:48 am

I’m still working on my Thanksgiving menu, but I’ll make sore I’ll have some leftover sweet potatoes. We love them and your mini pizzas sounds delish!

17 Marla November 20, 2011 at 7:25 am

Roxana…you gotta have those leftover mashed sweet potatoes! Great for snacks and now PIZZA :) xxoo

18 Nutmeg Nanny November 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

You pretty much had me at goat cheese…yum!

19 Karriann Graf November 20, 2011 at 9:36 am

Great idea….we are always looking for ways to consume the rest of the leftover turkey. When I lived in CA I use to eat the figs by the dozens! They go great with goat cheese :)

20 Marla November 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Karriann, goat cheese and figs are such a wonderful pairing. I wonder who figured that one out ages ago :) The sweetness of the figs plays so well against the creamy, salty goat cheese. Have a great Thanksgiving!

21 Kathleen November 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Your pictures are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :D

22 Marla November 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Kathleen! In all CAPS?! I’ll take that as a BIG compliment ;)

23 Bree November 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm

These look amazing-both the pictures and the recipes!

24 Jeanette November 20, 2011 at 6:43 pm

What a fun idea for using leftover turkey and sweet potatoes – who doesn’t love pizza! We make a layered casserole with all the leftovers. With some gravy on top, it’s like another Thanksgiving dinner. This year will be interesting since it’s our first gluten-free and dairy-free Thanksgiving, but I think I have my menu pretty much set. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!

25 Marla November 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Jeanette! This pizza is crazy tasty. Love your casserole idea too. You should post that. People are on the prowl for what to do with all of those Thanksgiving leftovers! Can’t wait to hear all about your gluten free & dairy free Turkey Day. I am sure it will be a huge hit! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday time together too. xxoo

26 Liren November 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Marla, how inventive! I love the way you are using these leftovers :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

27 Baking Serendipity November 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Ah! I love this! You almost have me more excited for the leftovers than for the Thursday meal itself :)

28 Alissa - Not Just Apples November 21, 2011 at 1:56 am

This is such a neat idea! I’d never have thought to create a pizza out of leftovers, but this looks delicious :)

29 Marla November 21, 2011 at 4:27 am

Thanks Alissa! It is amazing how far you can stretch the ideas for holiday leftovers ;)

30 Kitchen Belleicious November 21, 2011 at 4:52 am

oh yummm! I can coming to your house after thanksgiving for your leftovers:)

31 teresa November 21, 2011 at 6:32 am

Excuse me!
You’ve been to Ina’s Barefoot Contessa! OH ME!!!
Love that lady!
Where in the world did you get those sticks with those pumpkins? ;)
Your food staging is unbelievable! {perfection!}
I’ve always had a calling to throw figs & goat cheese on a pizza!
This recipe is a keeper!
For real! I will feature this on my blog when I make it!
I LOVE your recipes Marla!
You have such a passionate relationship with FOOD.
You are adorable! ;)
xoxoxox
xoxoxox

32 Marla November 21, 2011 at 11:12 am

Teresa, I would be so honored if you featured this recipe on your blog!
Gosh, I wish the Barefoot Contessa still existed in the Hampton’s. I bet you have fun places like that in Bainbridge?? I bet.
Yes, I am way too passionate about food. You should hear the music I play for my “subjects” during the photo shoot. The food loves the music too ya know!
The sticks with the pumpkins I got at Trader Joe’s.
In love with those little things. They last forever too!
xxoo

33 Kristina Vanni November 21, 2011 at 6:38 am

Gorgeous! I made a pumpkin pizza last month, and I fell in love! The subtle sweetness of pumpkin or sweet potatoes is great as the “sauce” on a pizza. (Plus, figs and goat cheese just rock!)

34 Jenny Flake November 21, 2011 at 6:40 am

Loving these pizza’s girl!! YUM :) So glad we got to hang out over the weekend :) xoxo

35 Mandi November 21, 2011 at 7:00 am

I don’t celebret thanksgiving (I live in Europe) but I always love that whole autum theme!
Your picture’s look so good and I’m sure it taste great too!

Mandi

36 Maria November 21, 2011 at 7:29 am

Great way to use up those leftovers!

37 aida mollenkamp November 21, 2011 at 8:43 am

Marla – I like how you’ve used the Thanksgiving leftovers with some new flavors to make it more interesting than a standard leftovers sandwich.

38 Marla November 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

Aida, I love to stir the pot girl ;)

39 HeatherChristo November 21, 2011 at 10:23 am

So delicious Marla. Leftovers may be the best part of Thanksgiving!

40 Lauren at Keep It Sweet November 21, 2011 at 10:59 am

This looks even better than Thanksgiving dinner, gotta love leftovers!

41 Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet November 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

Sounds great Marla. I can’t wait for Friday!! :)

42 Esi November 21, 2011 at 12:24 pm

This is a perfect way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers!

43 Living The Sweet Life November 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m sitting at my desk, in awe … this sounds like a phenomenal pizza.

44 Nancy@acommunaltable November 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Love that phrase ” pizza’s are just edible plates”!!! Great way to use up leftovers… now, if we can just make sure we actually “have” leftovers, we’ll be good to go!!

45 Marla November 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Oh Nancy how right you are!! Gotta have those leftovers to make these quick & easy pizzas. If you don’t have those leftovers you will just need to find a way to make them anyway ;)

46 gina November 27, 2011 at 6:54 am

these look not only ‘so cute’ but so delish!

47 Georgia Pellegrini November 27, 2011 at 7:21 am

This is a great idea, Marla. I have too many turkey-day leftovers in the fridge right now that I’m searching for a way to use. Thanks for the inspiration!

48 Carolyn November 29, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Great use of the leftovers!

49 Sue November 23, 2012 at 6:23 am

What a great idea! I had been giving a turkey pizza some thought as I was looking at the container of leftovers. Didn’t think about using the sweet potatoes as a sauce. Genius! Figs aren’t available here, I think I’ll try dried cranberries and dried dates. Love goat cheese! Mouth watering! Must go to the kitchen now. Thanks!

50 Marla November 23, 2012 at 6:25 am

Sue, the dried cranberries and dates are a great idea! Enjoy :)