Can you believe the color of these oats? All of the purple and blue hues have me even more excited than usual for my favorite meal of the day! This breakfast is a creamy, dreamy combo of coconut + almond milks, hearty steel cut oats and as many combinations of blueberries as I could fit in. This could double as dessert it is that good. A vegan & gluten free meal to suit anyones cravings!
I do need to admit that this post was tricky to work on as it had me starving. Not only was I craving more of these steel cut oats, but hunting around for recipe links to share with you sealed the deal even more.
In this recipe I used lots of fresh blueberries and some dried ones too. They are all baked into the oatmeal and I made a fresh blueberry sauce too. Quite similar to what I did with my Gluten Free Very Blueberry Cake last year.
Please don’t forget the extra blueberry sauce. Trust me on this one…it is worth the few extra minutes of your time.
Besides they sound kinda cute when they pop, burst and sizzle in the skillet. Also don’t forget the nuts. That would be tragic…
The smell that fills the house as this bakes is wonderful…just like blueberry pie.
Do you own a slow cooker? Honestly I do not, but I am really into the idea of combining all kinds of tasty ingredients and letting them simmer or bake for a good long time. I let the oatmeal do it’s thing in my Le Creuset stoneware baker. All I had to do was combine all of my ingredients and step away while it baked.
Gives me more time to do all of the other things that need to get done around here.
One of my favorite things is making a Big Batch of oatmeal to enjoy throughout the whole week. The feeling of waking up and having a gourmet, healthy breakfast at the ready is splendid!
Blueberries are little little squadgie supermodels. I could not stop taking photos of these perfect little puffy orbs. With a little spritz of water and fresh mint leaves they really come to life…
If you don’t have steel cut oats (also know as Irish Oats) handy that’s OK. Just be sure to use old-fashioned rolled oats or another favorite of mine Coach’s Oats. If you use those, adjust the amount of liquid according to the package directions. You could also cut back on the baking time a little too. I love the texture and slightly nutty flavor of steel cut oats.
If it is essential that you stick to a gluten free diet then please check that your oats are certified gluten free.
Bake this recipe the day/night before you plan on serving it so it has time to soak up all the liquid and thicken in your fridge.
What are your favorite ingredients to add to oatmeal? Do you use a slow cooker? If so what do you like to cook in it?
- 1 1/2 cups (260 grams) Steel Cut Irish Oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 4 cups (950 ml, 32 ounces) unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 2 cups (480 ml, 16 ounces) light unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 (240 grams) cups fresh Blueberries (frozen OK too, do not thaw first)
- 1/4 cup (47 grams) unsweetened dried Blueberries
- 1/4 cup (22 grams) unsweetened Coconut Flake
- Vanilla Stevia Drops or your favorite natural sweetener to taste
- 2 cups (360 grams) fresh or frozen Blueberries
- Toasted Nuts
- Coconut Flake
- Whipped Cream (vegan or not)
- extra dried and fresh Blueberries
- Coconut Milk
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the center. Lightly coat a 13X9X2" inch baking dish with cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl adding blueberries and coconut last. Sweeten to taste (I used 2 droppers full of vanilla stevia drops.) Bake for about one hour. The oatmeal will appear not done when you take it out of the oven. Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then put it in your refrigerator overnight for best results. It will thicken nicely in there.
- Heat the blueberries with a splash of water over medium high heat. When you hear them sizzle reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes until saucy. Mash the blueberries against the side of the pan with a spatula.
- Serve oatmeal with some almond or coconut milk and blueberry sauce.
- Cook this oatmeal the night before you plan on serving it so I has time to thicken in the refrigerator. Re-heat portions before serving.
Oatmeal Recipe Links
- Baked Blueberry and Banana Oatmeal The Curvy Carrot
- Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Family Fresh Cooking
- Cranberry Orange Steel Cut Oats Cookie and Kate
- Saffron Pear Baked Oatmeal Family Fresh Cooking
- Savory Steel Cut Oatmeal Tiny Urban Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal The Yummy Life