Cereal Topped Apple Date Crisp

by Marla on January 18, 2012 · 51 comments

Healthy apple date crisp dessert with whipped cream dollop & Uncle Sam's cereal

Lets talk about fruity crisps today…. are you a fan? I sure do hope so because they are simple to prepare and the texture/flavor play is irresistible! What’s not to love about heating up your favorite fruit and topping it with crunch. Lucky for all of us because my recipe is light & healthy and is topped with Uncle Sam’s whole grain cereal.

Yup, that’s right…a breakfast crisp that is great for snacks, dessert and also a healthy treat to pack in your lunch box.

Fresh apple slices and box of Uncle Sam's cereal by Attune Foods

I am so pleased to have been chosen as a brand ambassador for Attune Foods. I have been in love with their products for a long time. The partnership is a truly tasty + natural fit.

They love real, healthy foods and so do I…

Fresh apple slices on blue polka dot ceramics

Attune Foods takes great pride in using the best whole food ingredients in their products. In this recipe I use Uncle Sam’s cereal which is a blend of toasted whole wheat flakes combined with whole flaxseeds.

Healthy apple date crisp dessert with whipped cream dollop & Uncle Sam's cereal

If you are feeling a bit sassy, top your apple crisp with some freshly whipped cream. Another creamy topping, a bit lighter is thick Greek yogurt. If you are looking for a vegan option then you could use a coconut whipped cream.

All is good with cream, fruit & crunch….

Healthy apple date crisp dessert with whipped cream dollop & Uncle Sam's cereal

Uncle Sam’s cereal all ready has the perfect crunch, but  I added even more by toasting some in a pan with a dab of virgin coconut oil and pecans…you can never have enough crunch. Or pecans for that matter.

If you would like to prepare this gluten free then you can use one of their Erewhon crispy rice cereals.

Uncle Sam's breakfast cereal in blue porcelain fluted ramekin

I don’t think I could ever own enough white ramekins in all different shapes and sizes. Not only do they look really pretty, but they are also great for portion control.

Slice up some fresh apples while your at it to top everything off perfectly!

Healthy apple date crisp dessert with whipped cream dollop & Uncle Sam's cereal

What is your favorite fruit to use in a crisp?

Cereal Topped Apple Date Crisp Recipe

Please dash over to the Attune Foods website to  see my crisp recipe + more.

Relevant Recipe Links

Family Fresh Cooking disclosure: I am excited to be a brand ambassador with Attune Foods. All of the thoughts, expressions and ideas in my posts for them are my own.

1 Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet January 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

Looks extremely tasty Marla! I could eat one of them RIGHT NOW! :)

2 Marla January 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

Heather, so could I. Think I need to make some more today :) Good thing this recipe is quick and easy. Also could use any fruit you have on hand.

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

Looks like a perfect recipe and gorgeous pics..waking up to something like this would be great. Right alongside plenty of coffee :)

4 Marla January 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

Averie, you know how I always show cups of coffee in every blog post. How did I miss that this time. Always lots of coffee for me, especially in the morning!

5 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes January 18, 2012 at 10:45 am

What a great way to start the day!

6 Cookbook Queen January 18, 2012 at 10:48 am

Apple crisps is one of my all time favorite desserts!! Headed over now.

7 Marla January 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Kristan, you and me both girl. Have fun over at the Attune Foods site. Lots of fun stuff over there :)

8 Rosa January 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

A great snack or breakfast dish! Those cereals look delicious. Wonderfully crunchy.

9 Kathryn January 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love the combination of tart fruit and crisp topping, it sounds delicious and congratulations on your new role!

10 Marla January 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Thanks Kathryn. I love the tart/sweet combo. Best thing ever!

11 Katrina January 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

This sounds so healthy! And your photos are lovely :)

12 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} January 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Your little dishes are the cutest thing ever. I want to go food styling shopping with you! This looks amazingly delish. Pinning of course!

13 Marla January 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Marina, we would have a blast prop shopping together. I bet up by you we would find amazing vintage & kitschy stores. And I bet we would spend lots of money too!

14 Esi January 18, 2012 at 1:19 pm

So hard to pick a favorite. I love so many!

15 Marla January 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Esi, me too. I could find a way to make a crisp with every single fruit…fresh, dried & frozen. Come to think about it I should just start a blog dedicated to crisps.

16 Lauren January 18, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I could eat this all day. Seriously. Good and good for you! Love it, Miss Marla!

17 Marla January 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Lauren, we could eat it all day too. Good thing it is really easy & quick to whip up a batch :)

18 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 18, 2012 at 3:34 pm

The extra crunch on top sounds perfect Marla! And little white ramekins are the best. My hubby got me a few different sizes for Christmas this year, what a guy :)

19 Marla January 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Heather, that is so nice of your hubs to get you the white ramekins :) Very thoughtful guy!

20 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm

A nice combination, I could start everyday off with that!

21 Marla January 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Thanks Sylvie! I could start every day like this too :)

22 Alyssa (Down To Earth) January 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Oh Uncle Sam cereal! This was a staple for me in the summer when I was traveling/camping. I sprinkled this cereal over bananas and topped it with walnuts, raisins, and maybe some maple syrup if there was any around.
I love the apple and date combination you’ve concocted here. Sounds so fresh!

23 Marla January 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Alyssa, such a great breakfast you enjoyed while traveling & camping. Uncle Sam’s cereal is great sprinkled over just about everything. Awesome in yogurt parfaits too! I am liking the idea of the maple drizzle.

24 Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] January 18, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I am a fan of crisps! Love ‘em. Congrats on being chosen as a Brand Ambassador for Attune Foods.

25 Marla January 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Allison, it is wonderful working with them :) Happy you are a lover of crisps too!

26 betty January 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

you always have such great recipes! I love to read your blog for inspiration and I’m also motivated with new breakfast ideas, this one is no exception!

27 Ann January 18, 2012 at 11:07 pm

This looks delicious! Congratulations for being selected as a brand ambassador! I suspect it will be a GREAT fit and I can only imagine how please you are…I certainly know how lucky THEY are!

28 Jeanette January 19, 2012 at 4:08 am

Congrats Marla, fantastic news! As for this Apple Date Crisp, sounds like dessert for breakfast in a healthy way – yum!

29 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 19, 2012 at 5:44 am

Great news Marla! I can see why they picked you. :)

30 Sparkle and Co January 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

Strawberries or peaches in summer!!! Yummy!!!

31 Angie January 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

Yummy tummy fruit crisps are the ultimate comfort food. I will have to try this uncle Sam cereal! Love your super cute apple napkins!

32 Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I would love a big bowl of this!

33 Cassie @ Bake Your Day January 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I love apple crisps. Adding dates is a great idea!

34 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel January 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Love fruit crisps! I could eat them anyday, all day! :)

35 Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} January 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Yummy! It’s raining today…yes, raining in the dead of winter, and this would be the perfect comfort food tonight.

36 Marla January 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Krista, raining + winter are not the best combo :( Hopefully this crisp will cheer you up! xo

37 Marian (Sweetopia) January 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Marla, your photography is absolutely stunning! I wish I could reach in and taste!

38 Marla January 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Thanks so much Marian..that means so much coming from you. I am always on your blog for sweet inspiration :)

39 Miri Leigh January 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Yum- this looks so tasty. Thanks for posting!

40 Katrina January 19, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I love that Uncle Sam wheat flakes cereal. I also put it in my granola when I make it. What a great idea to use it as a crisp. I recently was able to use a bunch of free coupons from them and stocked up on all their products. Love the rice crispy cereal, too. And I have a box of graham crackers that I haven’t even tried yet. That must be remedied!
I think that apple is probably my favorite fruit crisp.

41 Jennifer | Mother Thyme January 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This looks fabulous! I love the suggestion of topping with fresh greek yogurt, always a staple in my refrigerator. I’m like you, I have white ramekins bursting from my cupboards but like mention they are perfect for portion control.

42 MikeVFMK January 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm

This should be my breakfast tomorrow. If it’s not my dessert tonight. Congrats on the partnership, Marla! And this recipe. Lovely pics too.

43 SweetsugarBelle January 21, 2012 at 11:02 am

I love Uncle Sam cereal! I was so excited to find it in our local Walmart the other day! Apple is by far my favorite fruit to have in a crisp but I love the addition of dates!!!!

44 Marla January 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Callye, that is awesome that Uncle Sam’s is now available in Walmart. Healthy, tasty cereals like this should be readily available to all! You gotta try the apples with dates…heavenly :)

45 Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} January 22, 2012 at 11:27 am

a wonderful way to start the day! healthy and delicious! great photos as usual Marla!

46 naomi January 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

Great flavor and texture combination, Marla!

47 Jen at The Three Little Piglets January 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

They made an excellent choice!

48 Marla January 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thanks Jen! I am very excited about the next few months. I just photographed my February recipe…stay tuned!

49 Kathy Patalsky January 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for linking to my coconut whipped cream recipe Marla! Always love visiting your blog – beautiful EVERYTHING! :)

50 A Canadian Foodie January 24, 2012 at 9:47 am

Gorgeous food styling and photography. Love the apple teatowel. It is perfect for this post. Nice to see you have found a good fit with your ambassador-ship. :)
V