This post is a test. A simple test to see how quickly I can share a truly tasty little something. I just got back from spending a super fun day with my kids. We had a fun lunch out, a trip to Barnes and Noble for some new books & my expensive international food + design magazines. I can’t live without those beauties (my kids and the mags!) in my life.
Smoothies and shakes are quick and healthy ways to fulfill cravings for sweets. In our house we throw a few ounces of any kind of milk or yogurt in a blender along with some of our favorite fruits. Add to that a cup of ice and we blend a creamy shake in our handy dandy Blendtec blender.
I have to say it is nice to have a high powered blender around. It blends the ice to just the right creamy, icy consistency!
My son spotted a ripe juicy orange in the fridge, we have a lot of citrus here from the chocolate truffles I was making. I also had a whole lot of blueberries that needed to be used. So in went the juice from an orange and about 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Feel free to use frozen blueberries and please don’t trouble yourself with precise measurements. Please.
A lot of folks I know freeze homemade smoothies to pack in their lunch boxes for themselves and their kids. Have you ever done this? By the time lunch rolls around your shake is not longer an ice cube but a shake! Not to mention it can help keep the rest of your stuff cool in your lunch box. This is a great idea for Project Lunch Box don’t ya think?
What is your favorite shake recipe?
- 1 cup fresh or frozen Blueberries
- juice from 1 Orange or a few Tangerines, Clemintines, etc - or a splash or Orange Juice
- a few ounces unsweetened Coconut Milk, Kefir, Greek Yogurt, Goats Milk, Almond Milk ~ anything!
- a few ounces Ice
- a few ounces of Water, enough to blend
- favorite natural sweetener to taste if needed, we use Vanilla Stevia Drops
- Blend everything until you have a delicious, creamy shake!
- If freezing and using in your lunch box I would probably use a dairy free milk like coconut milk so your shake does not curdle from the fruit acids.
Shake Recipe Links
- Banana Buddy Shake Natural Noshing
- Coffee Frappuccino Family Fresh Cooking
- Creamy Blueberry Banana Milk Shake Family Fresh Cooking
- Green Supreme Kiwi Avocado Shake Family Fresh Cooking
- Strawberry Lime Shake Elana’s Pantry
- Wild Blueberry Shake Colourful Palate